PDA

View Full Version : Gandalf: Which Lore would he use?

Tah Kazak Rik
01-12-2009, 06:33
Well I was thinking about what lore the wizards from LoTR would use:

I tried to think about what they tend to do and what they tend to cast or powers they use.

Saruman: Heavens and Metal (maybe death for doom and darkness)
Radagast: Beasts and Life
Gandalf the White: Light and Life

However I could not figure out what lore Gandalf the Grey would use. I thought maybe Shadow and Light. Maybe Light and Heavens.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

enyoss
01-12-2009, 07:09
I would say Gandalf is probably Light, although I think that the magic the Wizards use is far more subtle than that seen in Warhammer.

Arbiter7
01-12-2009, 07:45
He he, my vote goes for light too, but I wouldn't be surprised if he could pull off a few spells from the lore of fire, due to his elvish ring, nenya of course (three were given to the elves...this ended up on his finger).

Maybe a bit of shadow too, remember what he did to Bilbo?

BigRob
01-12-2009, 07:53
Well he is Gandalf the Grey......

Traditionally Grey Magic is the magic of the manipulator, the traveller, the mysterious stranger and alot of its spells were concerned with subtle effects which I think fits Gandalf perfectly. What do you mean you don't know what Grey magic is?! It's the Lore of Shadows :p

Of course as a goody, I can see the case for light magic (althouh glowing light is just a petty magic spell really) and he is described as using lightning bolts in the Hobbit so a bit of celestial as well in there.

Chuck in Glamdring (Magic Weapon, Bane: Orcs and Goblins, Causes fear in Orcs and Goblins), A Wizards staff (+2 PD/Turn) and the Elven Ring (Immune to miscasts, 2+ Ward save, Other effects as required). Viola

The Red Scourge
01-12-2009, 07:56
Gandalfs only magical powers seems to be making magical flashlights and shaping smoke. He'd be a wizards apprentice in the WFB universe ;)

Leogun_91
01-12-2009, 08:28
Gandalfs only magical powers seems to be making magical flashlights and shaping smoke. He'd be a wizards apprentice in the WFB universe ;)Wizard apprentices wouldn't stand a chance against powerfull daemons (balrogs) using only their magic. Gandalf simply uses his spells with care, which any wizard lord in the WFB universe would you know, accidentaly summoning daemons when trying to defeat a few goblins, eternal damnation for uncareful casting and so on.

Freman Bloodglaive
01-12-2009, 08:37
With his love of fireworks I'd say fire magic gets in there somewhere.

Seth the Dark
01-12-2009, 08:51
It has to be Shadow and Light. First Gandalf the Grey then Gandalf the White.

ChaosVC
01-12-2009, 09:08
Gandalf is a warrior mage, he uses a staff on one hand and wields a sword on the other, even demons like Balrog are no match for him until it decides to sit on him...ops! Sorry...

Well if he is in warhammer fantasy, he would probably be just a lvl 1 light wizard. Powerful wizards in warhammer can freeze rivers and creat a storm in the mountains to bury armies...at least in the novels.

enyoss
01-12-2009, 09:13
Gandalfs only magical powers seems to be making magical flashlights and shaping smoke. He'd be a wizards apprentice in the WFB universe.

Don't forget that magical knack for `lifting spirits'... usually after it was him who broke them in the first place.

Fraud.

The Red Scourge
01-12-2009, 11:25
At least it beats Sauron AKA The Red Searchlight of Doom +2 ;)

snurl
01-12-2009, 11:47
He claimed he once knew every spell in elvish or orcish............

Dead Man Walking
01-12-2009, 12:30
He knows the lore of GogetaLife.
As Follows;
1 -Gandalf takes a shower, orcs can no longer track him by smell. Cast on a 5+
2. Gandalf goes for a walk everyday and looses 40 pounds, finds fresh air makes him feel better. Gain 1 bit of humanity back. Cast on 6+
3. Gandalf divorces his computer and discovers that females actually exist! Feel funny when they look at you. Loose 20 pounds. Cast on 7+
4. Gandalf makes a friend that doesnt exist on the intardwebz. It is an actual woman and her physical appearance is up to date (unlike all those fake women he met on the internet). Roll a d6, on a 1-5 No chance, try again later. On a 6+ Gandalf get to first base! Cast on 8+
5. Gandalf gets a job! He can now afford deodorant and clean clothes. With all his money he can move to any point on the battlefield with his new car. Cast on 9+
6. Gandalf moves out of his mothers basement! Gandalf finds out his name is really Craig Luwinsky from Michigan. The doctors inform him that he has been suffering from a severe case of delusional immaturity for the last 35 years. Cast on a 12+
Gandalf can roll on his Lore of Gogeta-Life three times. Anyone who seriously puts time into what Gandalf would do in Warhammer inherantly knows the complete lore, they just dont know it yet.

Lordsaradain
01-12-2009, 12:36
Lore of Fire IMO. He's the keeper of the secret flame and whatever...

brendel
01-12-2009, 12:49
I think he could probaly draw from all spells in the rule book, as he was secound only to Saruman out of the five wizards that were sent to middle earth to resore the blance, until he became the white, as the Gray it was probaly harder for him to cast the spells than it was later when he became the white.
Im sure the wizards were suposed to be on par in power to the Balrogs, cant really remeber if I read that or I made it up in my head, will have to read the silmerillian again.

Condottiere
01-12-2009, 13:35
IIRC Gandalf was a spirit of fire, so that would be his first lore; probably studied up on Shadow for his posting to Middle Earth and then probably got an upgrade to Light on his resurrection.

Tah Kazak Rik
01-12-2009, 14:15
I agree with the overall comments here, that it would be shadow and light.

I think that he would in reality be able to take a spell from each lore.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

wilsongrahams
01-12-2009, 18:48
Remember that Saruman commanded the violence atop the Red Mountain in FOTR. Gandalf also kinda used Flaming Sword of Rhuin before slaying the balrog. As mentioned, he is a lot more subtle. Far more subtle than in the past if you read the Silmarillion. And remember, the wizards were sent by the Elven Gods to guide and influence men, not to dominate and fight their wars for them.

I would say that gandalf would primarily be Light with access to some other spells, maybe like Teclis or Mannfred von Carstein, knowing all spells in more than one Lore.

Lijacote
01-12-2009, 18:58
After he used Blinding Light or whatever the spell's name is on those uruk pikes, their WS was too pathetic to stop the Rohirrim charge. He also used fire, and is/was obviously a shady character, what with being gray and peddling around fireworks on a donkey cart. Fire, light and shadows.

warhawk95
01-12-2009, 19:54
He knows the lore of GogetaLife.
As Follows;
1 -Gandalf takes a shower, orcs can no longer track him by smell. Cast on a 5+
2. Gandalf goes for a walk everyday and looses 40 pounds, finds fresh air makes him feel better. Gain 1 bit of humanity back. Cast on 6+
3. Gandalf divorces his computer and discovers that females actually exist! Feel funny when they look at you. Loose 20 pounds. Cast on 7+
4. Gandalf makes a friend that doesnt exist on the intardwebz. It is an actual woman and her physical appearance is up to date (unlike all those fake women he met on the internet). Roll a d6, on a 1-5 No chance, try again later. On a 6+ Gandalf get to first base! Cast on 8+
5. Gandalf gets a job! He can now afford deodorant and clean clothes. With all his money he can move to any point on the battlefield with his new car. Cast on 9+
6. Gandalf moves out of his mothers basement! Gandalf finds out his name is really Craig Luwinsky from Michigan. The doctors inform him that he has been suffering from a severe case of delusional immaturity for the last 35 years. Cast on a 12+
Gandalf can roll on his Lore of Gogeta-Life three times. Anyone who seriously puts time into what Gandalf would do in Warhammer inherantly knows the complete lore, they just dont know it yet.

So Im going to assum you know the whole lore because you came up with the time to create this right?:D

on-topic: i think shadow for gandalf the grey and then light fo gandalf the white and probably gateway too because he is gandalf:cool:

Col. Tartleton
01-12-2009, 20:18
He represents the warmth of fire within the hearts of man... obvi...

Fire/Light Duality

willowdark
01-12-2009, 20:21
Shouldn't it be fair to assume that he'd be competent in all 8 Lores, as well as possibly High Magic.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
01-12-2009, 21:34
I would say Gandalf is probably Light, although I think that the magic the Wizards use is far more subtle than that seen in Warhammer.

Couldn't agree more

Cypher, the Emperor
01-12-2009, 22:41
As gandalf the grey, he primarily uses Lore of Shadow, with his ring being a powerful bound item.

As gandalf the white, he's obviously uses lore of light a lot, especially cleaning flare

LaughinGremlin
02-12-2009, 02:35
Has anyone on this thread read the books? Forget the movies...

Gandalf the Grey was a master of pyrotechnics. That's the lore of fire.

He also made a trap for the Balrog on the bridge so that the stone would crumble away beneath the beast's feet. I guess that this could be like Pit of shades from the shadow lore.

His ability to lift spirits is never specified as being a magical ability. He most likely just had great charisma around the hobbits because he had a fondness for them. He was also a great leader of men. That's not a spell necessarily -- that's just a high L stat :p

Radagast would simply be a Beasts practitioner -- not also life lore. He is a master of birds and beasts -- not of the weather and such.

Fenrir
02-12-2009, 10:17
Lore of Broken, obviously.

Zilverug
02-12-2009, 14:54
The old Empire Grey (Shadow) Wizard certainly looks a lot like Gandalf...

Awilla the Hun
02-12-2009, 20:43
A Wizard neither uses the right lore, nor the wrong lore. He uses precisely the lore he needs.

Lord Inquisitor
02-12-2009, 20:50
I would have said fire as well. For example, in the book, there's a scene alluded to (Strider finds the evidence) where Gandalf holds off the ringwraiths at Weathertop that left huge tracts of burnt trees and ground.

I was hoping that scene would have been in the film. :)

Lordsaradain
02-12-2009, 22:05
A Wizard neither uses the right lore, nor the wrong lore. He uses precisely the lore he needs.

Quoted for the truth.

Col. Tartleton
02-12-2009, 22:32
Yeah the LotR films really lacked a lot of the cool stuff they should have had. It's almost like they were trying to do it as a relatively low fantasy (orcs and fell beasts and eagles are semi realistic IMO), but then they have a Balrog, ghost nazgul, and a giant disembodied eye. Realistically they didn't do nearly as accurate a job as they could have. The only thing that is exactly as it should be IMO is Rohan and everything related to it... but I'm a harsh critic. :p

Lord Inquisitor
02-12-2009, 22:44
Well, to be fair, that scene was only alluded to in the book too, kind of confused matters (what was Gandalf doing there anyway?) and Jackson obviously wanted to downplay the magic and make it more subtle, so I can get why they did that.

Unwise
03-12-2009, 01:07
Gandalf wields Narya, the ring of fire. I think he would play most like a brightwizard given that he has massive control over that element.

Condottiere
03-12-2009, 02:05
The Road to Rivendell - in the meantime, ....

Requires creative competent scriptwriter and greedy film studio.

LaughinGremlin
03-12-2009, 04:02
What Gandalf the Grey apparently thinks that he needs is the Lore of Fire. :p

The following is not for the faint of heart, but only for the most geeky Gandalf fanboy (like myself).
To make the legal Warhammer parody of Gandalf the Grey, use the old grey mage model. Unfortunately he can't pick from both fire and shadow lores, so I'd lean towards fire, because he is a "combat mage," who doesn't run from a fight, nor creep around in the shadows in the fashion of a Warhammer shadow mage. Anyway, give this level 4 master of pyrotechnics the doomfire ring to represent the obvious elven trinket. To represent his iconic staff, and to help him make a greater conflagration, give him the wizard staff. According to your taste, represent Glamdring with a magical weapon. Don't be afraid to use a "non sword" such as a Mace of Helsturm if that's what you want to represent the "Foe hammer," for its abilities are imbued in the sword on the model.

Any better suggestions?

-Grimgorironhide-
03-12-2009, 04:51
I would say that Gandalf would pick spells from two lores like a skaven grey seer can now.
When grey he can roll for spells from the Lore of Fire and/or shadow.
When white he can for Fire and Light.

cheers.

Tah Kazak Rik
03-12-2009, 05:06
I would have said fire as well. For example, in the book, there's a scene alluded to (Strider finds the evidence) where Gandalf holds off the ringwraiths at Weathertop that left huge tracts of burnt trees and ground.

Wow I never knew that he fought the nazghul like that!

What Gandalf the Grey apparently thinks that he needs is the Lore of Fire. :p

The following is not for the faint of heart, but only for the most geeky Gandalf fanboy (like myself).
To make the legal Warhammer parody of Gandalf the Grey, use the old grey mage model. Unfortunately he can't pick from both fire and shadow lores, so I'd lean towards fire, because he is a "combat mage," who doesn't run from a fight, nor creep around in the shadows in the fashion of a Warhammer shadow mage. Anyway, give this level 4 master of pyrotechnics the doomfire ring to represent the obvious elven trinket. To represent his iconic staff, and to help him make a greater conflagration, give him the wizard staff. According to your taste, represent Glamdring with a magical weapon. Don't be afraid to use a "non sword" such as a Mace of Helsturm if that's what you want to represent the "Foe hammer," for its abilities are imbued in the sword on the model.

Yeah that seems like a good combo for a gandalf parody. Then add a pegasus (for Shadowfax) for high movement

However it has come to my attention that the Ring Narya, has the power to "...this is the Ring of Fire, and herewith, maybe, thou shalt rekindle hearts to the valour of old in a world that grows chill" It is the ring that gives him the power to uplift hearts. So it could be proxied by the Silver Horn, the Icon or Magnus, or the Rod of Command.

I would also think that the Mace of Helsturm would be a little too powerful. Maybe the Sword of Sigismund or the Hammer of Judgement.

Briohmar
03-12-2009, 05:56

In the Hobbit as well, Gandalf lights the Wargs on fire by magically firing pinecones and hitting the wargs with them. The few actual magical things Gandalf does in the entire series lend themselves to Fire first, Light second.

Zilverug
03-12-2009, 08:32
Lore of Light magic missiles are also flaming attacks if I remember correctly.

ChaosVC
03-12-2009, 09:52
Gandalf also can do dragon punch and spin turn kick.

Tah Kazak Rik
06-12-2009, 18:20
Well I decided to give him Lore of Light.

Then Arm him with Sword of Might, Icon of Magnus, and Wizards Staff.

He will be Lv 2 wizard to represent him not using his full power because of the Valar restrictions.

ChaosVC
07-12-2009, 03:44
I gave him a torch light and he ownz all the ring wraiths from then on.

Valkyrie114
07-12-2009, 04:01
Powerful wizards in warhammer can freeze rivers and creat a storm in the mountains to bury armies

The mission of the LoTR wizards was to guide elves and men by gaining trust and spreading knowledge, not by ruling them with fear and force.

ChaosVC
07-12-2009, 04:15
The mission of the LoTR wizards was to guide elves and men by gaining trust and spreading knowledge, not by ruling them with fear and force.

And when the darkness comes and all is hopless... we still have the Torch light of hope. Batteries not included.

Freman Bloodglaive
07-12-2009, 07:08
Gandalf is the only man that Chuck Norris has ever called "sir"

He was joking, but still Gandalf is the only man.

Roba-Fett
07-12-2009, 09:20
I am playing a Celestial Wizard in WHFRP. I try to make him quite subtle like Gandalf. So I woulda brought Gandalf into Warhammer as: Gandalf the Azure.

hehe.

Condottiere
07-12-2009, 12:05
Requires more subtlety - rename him Gandalf the Self-Azured.