Azazel
27-01-2006, 16:26
http://uk.games-workshop.com/features/price-changes/price-changes.htm

Goddamnit. Well it could be worse. They could hike everything. :wtf:

Forgotmytea
27-01-2006, 16:32
AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :eek:

*faints*

Luckily I just ordered all the models I need for a while. While I understand the reasons for price hikes (most of the time :p), I really, really wish they wouldn't. :( It just puts me off buying models from them, driving me to online stores and eBay. Shame - mail ordering gives me a great amount of pleasure - to me it's an enjoyable experience :)

How much higher can they hike these prices?

-Forgotmytea

Inquisitor Samos
27-01-2006, 16:45
Well, the answer is quite clear, possibly even obvious:

They can keep on hiking the prices until even the most jaded, delusional, and wealthy 40K fan can no longer afford them.

(Yes, that was sarcasm. Apologies. ;) )

hiram
27-01-2006, 17:05
At least they were good enough to give advanced notice.

Azazel
27-01-2006, 17:08
Oh wow! Advanced notice. That hardly makes up for this. Its some flithy money grabing scheme to hit their first annual quarter profit margins.

Scum.

Ki-Adi-Monkey
27-01-2006, 17:20
Does any one know if the dreadnaught is considred a tank box by GW? Lets hope not.

Rob

hiram
27-01-2006, 17:24
Oh wow! Advanced notice. That hardly makes up for this. Its some flithy money grabing scheme to hit their first annual quarter profit margins.

Scum.

Wow, you really need to get a diffewrent hobby thats a little easier on the pocket book. Maybe Knitting, could make a nice rag to clean up the spilled milk.

Azazel
27-01-2006, 17:31
Hell collecting a real army will be cheaper soon.

Oh yeah its easy for you to say. Arent you a Red Shirt? You get the little toy men for pennies.

hiram
27-01-2006, 17:38
Yeah I'm a redshirt but I'm also planning a wedding paying bills and all that malarky. Honestly I buy like one box of models a paycheck. I'm still on a budget and believe me the pay does not outweigh the discount.
But I bought models before I worked for the company and still only bought a box or two a month.
War gaming is a luxury not an essential, don't worry about how mucha tank is rather worry how much your groceries will cost, then buy some toy soldiers. Basic budgeting skills.

Azazel
27-01-2006, 17:40
Yeah well Ive paid rent and brought my own (crap) food these past two years. I know all about it.

But now Im paying an extra five quid for a model that hasnt even changed?

My groceries havent gone up in price that much.

Grimshawl
27-01-2006, 17:41
look hiram I know you are agravated by all the GW bashing that goes on here but honestly you cant expect people not to be fed up with all the price hikes by this point, If I were in your shoes I'd just skip threads like this where people are obviously gonna be venting about such things, just my two cents.
PS congrats on the wedding planning.

hiram
27-01-2006, 17:42
Mine have. You never realize how much a girl eats till you live with her.

The Judge
27-01-2006, 17:45
You never realize how much a girl eats till you live with her

LOL

According to my local manager GW have a rolling price policy that means one section of the range (however large) will go up each year - last year it was the squad bo something...I think we could have gotten worse.

Yes, Dreads are going up, at least that's what the redshirts told me.

hiram
27-01-2006, 17:47
No,no I relate. price increase affect me to. Gets harder to validate a sale every time it happens, not the best business practice i'll agree but thats how corps. work. I wish I could explain to a mother why a hammerhead tank costs 45$ but in the end I don't make the prices I just mark 'em. trying to work my way up to have more impact but it's "the beast" you know.

Azazel
27-01-2006, 17:52
You'll NEVER have any impact on prices as a lowly red shirt. And you'll never work yourself up to that stage.

The people that do... Start at the top. Or at least in the top half.

hiram
27-01-2006, 17:58
I disagree the head of GWUS started as a read shirt if I remember correctly.

Azazel
27-01-2006, 18:21
Whats a 'read shirt'?

Brushmonkey
27-01-2006, 18:46
Its a canadian red shirt. I'm glad of the price hike. Perhaps now people will buy less and actually spend some time and love on their minis instead of all these ugly armies i keep seeing posted on internet forums.:p

rkunisch
27-01-2006, 18:52
Normally I am not that much impressed by price changes. Sure, they rise prices a little more than I would like sometimes, but I still have more than enough unpainted minis. What is a little bit annoying is the price change for tanks. I mean 25% is really a steep raise. :(

Have fun,

Rolf.

Grimshawl
27-01-2006, 18:53
:DHey not all of us can be as gifted as you are:D and anyway not even the total colapse of 40k would force some of us to repaint all our figs, lastly some of us either A) think our figs look pretty good
or
B) are proud in a grisly kind of way just how Ugly our paintjobs
really are.

I once knew a guy who painted his space marines by droping them into a babyfood jar with paint and shaking them untill they were coated, then letting them dry and drybrushing a little to bring out some detail :eek:

rkunisch
27-01-2006, 18:56
I once knew a guy who painted his space marines by droping them into a babyfood jar with paint and shaking them untill they were coated, then letting them dry and drybrushing a little to bring out some detail :eek: At least this method sounds quick. :D

Have fun,

Rolf.

asmodai_dark86
27-01-2006, 20:59
Okay so the new giant, the only GW kit I've been sorely tempted to buy for, and had a reason for buying (nearly bought carnifex... must..avoid...GW...) and this is one of the kits to be hit by this. The metal giant could end up being cheaper...

On a side note, do we have any clever legal types who could tell us if GW are allowed to do this? I mean its GW policy to have a price rise each year, whether its a loss or profit year - surely theres like, laws or something. At least some really annoy law introduced by labour or something that Id complain about if I were GW but as it stands its just well silly.

You know who we need. Michael Moore. We need Michael Moore to come here and kick GW in the nutts with witty satire and hilarious pranks. Maybe we could get Morgan Spurlock to do a thirty days episode where Kirby has to spend thirty days as one of his customers... boy would he cry like a girl after three days of heinz tomato soup.

Crazy Harborc
27-01-2006, 21:05
It's not the hobby of wargaming that's too expensive. It's GW's version of toy soldiers that cost too much these days. GW is not a hobby, it's a company.

Brushmonkey
27-01-2006, 21:36
GW seems to be quite active in making their Battle Forces and Battalions an attractive option in comparison to their individual components. However the same thing can not be said of the paints. All we have is the Hobby Starter Set, or Paint Set, both of which contain only very basic colours.

What would you fine folks say to the reintroduction of various themed paint sets?

Eisenhorn
27-01-2006, 21:49
Well you should be happy that you dont live in norway. I just bought some paints today at a indy shop on sale.
Guess how much..

3£ per pot....

now that is expensive.:cries:

Azazel
28-01-2006, 02:06
What would you fine folks say to the reintroduction of various themed paint sets?

Rubbish idea.

They took them out for a good reason. They saved us money.

Corporal Punishment
28-01-2006, 03:45
I'll be checking out Vallejo paints next time I need some.

I never buy at retail price but the clowns at the top of GW are drunk if they think this is going to improve their numbers.

Slappy
28-01-2006, 04:07
Why are people still buying Games Workshop stuff?

I don't get it. It's an obvious, logical decision to boycott that company. I honestly think there is something wrong with people who pay for retail and support the machine. They not only make a company richer that doesn't give a crap about them or the hobby AND they make other gamers suffer who don't have access to to large heaps of money.

Corporal Punishment
28-01-2006, 04:13
At the end of the day if you buy the product at all then you are supporting them. While I like the game and I don't want to see GW go under, I don't agree with the pricing. Especially considering the cost to produce the product.

hiram
28-01-2006, 04:19

I don't get it. It's an obvious, logical decision to boycott that company. I honestly think there is something wrong with people who pay for retail and support the machine. They not only make a company richer that doesn't give a crap about them or the hobby AND they make other gamers suffer who don't have access to to large heaps of money.

Because the company makes the models. What other company produces space marines or lizardmen.
Boycott the company if you like but really its a really silly point to try and make, you buy from ebay or somewhere else people have already bought that piece and you are actully under cutting them on what they origonly spent, whose the beast then GW for selling their product at retail or you for under shelling some guy?

Slappy
28-01-2006, 05:01
I don't understand.

Used stuff should sell at new prices?

Corporal Punishment
28-01-2006, 05:46
Because the company makes the models. What other company produces space marines or lizardmen.
Boycott the company if you like but really its a really silly point to try and make, you buy from ebay or somewhere else people have already bought that piece and you are actully under cutting them on what they origonly spent, whose the beast then GW for selling their product at retail or you for under shelling some guy?

If the prices weren't so high, such a secondary market would not even exist. Why would I pay retail when I can go to e-bay and pay an average of 40% less than retail for things that are brand new in sealed boxes. You have to realize that at $50, I can save $20 on a Land Raider. If that Land Raider was $25 there would be a lot fewer people willing to take the time to save that 40%. It's just another example of why raising prices through the roof doesn't work. People are going to be more inclined to seek product from a secondary source and that is going to hurt retail sales.

Here are good examples, why in the world would I buy things in a store??http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31399&item=8751510546
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44127&item=8744269958

Darkseer
28-01-2006, 07:47

Exactly!

I went into my local hobby store yesterday and the owner came to me and asked if I would sign a petition to be sent to GW to show my disapproval of price hikes.

I told him that it had been done before and the only way to show your vote is with your wallet. ie: Don't buy GW.

rkunisch
28-01-2006, 08:03

Well, for me it is easy: I have a demanding job and a family. That leaves me with little time for any hobby. I buy, what appeals to me. Prices are a secondary issue for me. In the end, GW prices are not that high compared to other hobbies I have: a Xbox (games sell at 60Ä per piece), 9mm model railroad (engines are 100Ä+ and coaches are about 20Ä+) and home cinema (about 10Ä+ for a DVD for about two hours fun). So at the end of the day, I am interested in good spent hours of my free time and not so much in money.

Have fun,

Rolf.

Darkseer
28-01-2006, 08:07
And you managed to feed your wife and kids?

Grumblebelly
28-01-2006, 08:10
They could probably justify the smaller increases however plastic tank sets are being increased by 25% which is a bit excessive. A single model might still cost less than an XBOX game however you need to buy a hell of alot of models before you can play so id say XBOX is still alot cheaper.

This will help other companies as I for one will definitly consider other games before I buy another 40k army. *cough* Starship Troopers *cough*

Darkseer
28-01-2006, 08:25
I'm going back to comic art, or...just doing nothing.
It's become waaaay too expensive now.

Luke
28-01-2006, 08:45
i remember 10 years ago when my old dear first took me to a toymaster to buy spacehulk. must have been 20 quid. bjorn the fellhanded must have been 15 or something ridiculously cheap. even then my mum threw a fit abuot the obscene cost of the little metal toy soldiers. (yes folks, most minis back in the day were metal :D) 10 quid for 10 metal space marines was quite reasonable in retrospect.
when i walk into GW as it is atm i see parents sighing and shaking their heads as little timmy grabs handfuls of landspeeders and razorbacks of the racks. i have a feeling that even parents have a breaking point :D

as for myself? well you should all know by now what i am up to. i dont buy their figures anymore, and the only reason i buy their tanks is because i didnt know abuot the upcoming price rape til i started my mechanised stormtrooper army :(

20th Century Boy
28-01-2006, 09:37
Because we don't have a finished army?

Darkseer
28-01-2006, 09:59
Because we don't have a finished army?

Then you'd better hurry up and finish your army.

20th Century Boy
28-01-2006, 10:54
Like hiram, I'm building my army on a budget, which also means I'm only blowing truly excess cash.

I have no problems with GW raising prices, because that's what companies do. I think any reasonably adult person with a resonable income can easily afford GW. I also think that the same reasonably adult person is easily capable of deciding if it's worth it.

What I have problems with is GW catering to majorly non-adults with a low or next to no income (think children and students). That borders on unethical in my view - one point why I would never want to work for GW. As well as it leads me to avoid tournaments and in-store gaming, because I don't want to run into a bundle of pre 20 year old weenies...

Griefbringer
28-01-2006, 11:10
On a side note, do we have any clever legal types who could tell us if GW are allowed to do this? I mean its GW policy to have a price rise each year, whether its a loss or profit year - surely theres like, laws or something.

Depends on what country you live in, but in most places around the world companies are free to set whatever prices they want to, and change the prices whenever they want to. And in places where price regulation is practiced, it is more likely to be restricted to basic necessities (such as water, food, electricity - definitely not toy soldiers).

What surprises me is that the price hike takes place already in March - I was under the impression that about two years ago GW took the policy that they will only adjust prices in the beginning of July.

Morbid Dreams
28-01-2006, 13:35
have[/B] problems with is GW catering to majorly non-adults with a low or next to no income (think children and students). That borders on unethical in my view - one point why I would never want to work for GW. As well as it leads me to avoid tournaments and in-store gaming, because I don't want to run into a bundle of pre 20 year old weenies...

At what age did you start gaming??

Darkseer
28-01-2006, 13:57

Dude, I started gaming when I was 11 and I'm now 22.
When I was a kid my parents never bought me any Warhammer and when I was a kid I could hardly afford it.
Now that I'm an adult, I can hardly afford it and my parents still refuse to buy me any Warhammer.

Nothing has changed, except that for a short time as an adult I could afford to buy Warhammer, but that time will cease come the price hike.

Shadowheart
28-01-2006, 15:36
To give you as much notice as possible so you can get your miniatures at the current price, we've listed the major changes below:

Sure. A company knows a whole month in advance whether a large number of it's products are going to have a significant price change.

Well, this one doesn't affect my purchases at all, seeing as I switched to Vallejo and I just buy LotR these days. Still, sucks to be collecting IG.

I think one thing we should do about this is inform (potential) newcomers of GW's practice of hiking prices by roughly 10% a year. People ought to know that an army they start now, especially if they build it up slowly, will end up costing more than what it may appear to.

20th Century Boy
28-01-2006, 19:08

Dude, I started gaming ...
He probably meant me... ;)

I started gaming at 12, but didn't look into GW until I was 22. I decided it wasn't worth it at that point (income to cost ratio), and came back at 30. I'm 33 now.

So I started at 12, granted. Regardless being in a hobby that is swarmed by kids in stores and at events isn't something I feel comfortable with. Let that be a personal thing. If it weren't for private groups and age-sorted player databases, I surely would have dropped out again fast. As well as I stand by my point that GW isn't for kids. I think you need a certain age and responsibility (as well as having earned your own money, and payed everyday bills out of your own pocket), to value such a product.

If I have a look around (or just look at eBay), I see tons of badly treated models (half-built/half-heartedly painted/half-destroyed), which is not adequate for a product of that price. GW is not that - a toy. If someone wanted to just play with an army of toysoldiers I would recommend other products, or if someone just wanted to play a game, I'd recommend a Boardgame. I think kids don't really realize what they hold in their hands.

my_name_is_tudor
28-01-2006, 21:14
Price hikes do my head in - but the fact is that I like 40k models, I like building them from new, and I don't mind having to save for longer to buy stuff.

It's not like boycotting macdonalds - where you can just eat elsewhere. Any stuff you buy on ebay has come from GW in the first place - so you're just adding a middle man, not boycotting. And GW's competitors are leagues behind them in terms of aesthetics - the main thing that keeps me a GW hobbyist.

pug
28-01-2006, 21:47
i remember 10 years ago when my old dear first took me to a toymaster to buy spacehulk. must have been 20 quid. bjorn the fellhanded must have been 15 or something ridiculously cheap. even then my mum threw a fit abuot the obscene cost of the little metal toy soldiers. (yes folks, most minis back in the day were metal. 10 quid for 10 metal space marines was quite reasonable in retrospect.
when i walk into GW as it is atm i see parents sighing and shaking their heads as little timmy grabs handfuls of landspeeders and razorbacks of the racks. i have a feeling that even parents have a breaking point :D

as for myself? well you should all know by now what i am up to. i dont buy their figures anymore, and the only reason i buy their tanks is because i didnt know abuot the upcoming price rape til i started my mechanised stormtrooper army :(

Sorry I had to quote this post as it actually made me laugh out loud. Sorry mate ive been in the hobby 13-14 years and space hulk was £50 and bjorn was £25 back then. No im sorry 10 metal space marines were £20 pounds in the old days when things were "cheaper" :rolleyes:

So that means tanks have risen in price for the first time in 13 years and have probably been this way for even longer than that. About time really. So im not sure what the fuss is about these "price hikes".

Another month another price moan thread on an internet forum, nothing new there. You would think these people would voice their opinions to GW themselves not on here.

As for the prices themselves £18 for a box of soldiers. Meh im not worried I have a job and I choose to spend my money on soldiers when I want to. Through the sprues I get lots of extras that fill my bits box as well.

Im not sure about everyone else but my box of soldiers lasts me along time. I first have to put them together which will take my 2-3 days on and off. Then I will paint them which will take me up to possibly 2-4 weeks. Then they are mine forever. Ok so that cost me £18. I computer game £30-£40 I play over 2-3 days and complete it. I then throw it in a draw then never play it again great value for money, I donít think so.

As for quality. I truly believe GW makes consistently nice miniatures. The core troops are plastic so I can chop them up and change them. I also can buy some nice metal figures to paint as well.

I mostly collect other figure ranges such as confrontation and Warmachine but I do not play them as much as I would like to as there is no support in my area unlike GW as I can pop down to my store and play.

As said earlier in my post donít come on to an internet forum and moan like your opinion will make a difference because the truth is it won't.
Some chairman from GW is not going to read this post or any other of the 100s of pricing threads and go "oh we are wrong some random angry man on an internet forum thinks or prices are too expensive lets lower them quickly!"

Sorry for the long post hope everyone enjoyed it. :p

This post is not supposed to be hostile towards anyone. I have posted my honest opinions in this debate.

rkunisch
29-01-2006, 07:50
And you managed to feed your wife and kids?
Certainly. :)

Have fun,

Rolf.

Adept
29-01-2006, 10:17
What can I say?

It's just a shame that GW's ended up like this.

Bregalad
29-01-2006, 10:57
Seems GW is learning and listening to us. :rolleyes:

In a poll and discussion we say that GW should act less arrogant to customers and should reduce prices. And they give a damn and publish the next price increase. :wtf:

nos4artu
30-01-2006, 14:25
Sorry I had to quote this post as it actually made me laugh out loud. Sorry mate ive been in the hobby 13-14 years and space hulk was £50 and bjorn was £25 back then. No im sorry 10 metal space marines were £20 pounds in the old days when things were "cheaper" :rolleyes:

Hah! If you were paying those prices 13 or 14 years ago you were being bloody ripped off. Check on the price list here

http://thewarp.net/war/stern/flashback/wd115a.htm

Yes that is 8 Terminators for £9.99, and blister packs for £2.99. Those prices lasted till about 1992-93 and have been steadily increasing to stupid amounts since then.

Hlokk
30-01-2006, 14:58
Anyone notice anything odd?

A PS2 game started out at £40 basic. They now cost £30. The products are essentially the same. In fact, I can't think of a single PS2 component that has gone up in price in the past 5 years, if anything, they've come down. The development costs are astronomical, yet the prices have stayed the same or fallen

So comparing the GW hobby and its prices to comuter games is a load of rubbish really. THey might be the same price range, but you wouldnt catch sony bumping games up by 25% would you?

The fact is that GW management have screwed up (again) and expect us to be prepared to pick up the peices.

Inquisitor Samos
30-01-2006, 15:38
Sorry I had to quote this post as it actually made me laugh out loud. Sorry mate ive been in the hobby 13-14 years and space hulk was £50 and bjorn was £25 back then. No im sorry 10 metal space marines were £20 pounds in the old days when things were "cheaper" :rolleyes:Normally I wouldn't just jump in and flat-out land with both feet on someone else's post...... but this is just complete unmitigated blathering bovine crap! :mad:

The "Bjorn the Fell-handed" dreadnought mini was NOT £25, twenty-five pounds UK, back in 1993-94; twenty-five dollars US maybe, although I doubt it was even quite that! The current version of that mini (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99110101004&orignav=10) (and it's the same exact thing in all particulars) is £25 now!

Likewise, there's no way that the "Space Hulk" game cost £50 back then, that would've made it $75 US or more. Seeing as I bought a copy, I know for a fact I didn't pay that much for it; in fact I would never have bought it at all, had it cost that much. Again, $50, fifty US dollars, is much more likely.

And finally, ten metal Space Marines, were not £20 (~$35 US) back in the early- to mid-1990s. Half that or a bit more, maybe...... otherwise I'd never have accumulated so many of them as I actually did.

So that means tanks have risen in price for the first time in 13 years and have probably been this way for even longer than that. About time really.Sir/madam/whatever-you-like, if you had really been collecting GW miniatures and playing GW games for the 13-14 years that you claim in your post, you would realize that GW's prices have gone up many times during that interval.

Perhaps you should try some less-bald-faced exaggerations the next time. :eyebrows:

Crube
30-01-2006, 15:42
SPace hUlk was released at £19.99, Bjorn was IIRC 14.99, that went to £20

Even the latest version of Space Hulk cost £40, not £50...

GROFAZ
30-01-2006, 16:37
First rule of economics.
Why do people start a business? To make money.
GW is a big company, so they want big money.
Which is why all my 40K stuff is in the basement and I concentrate on the Specialist games now.
Smaller gangs=smaller money.

Zanusiekk
30-01-2006, 17:44
Price hikes are made for obvious reasons: they want to make money, and gullible people keep handing it over.
What really gets to me is how they manage to turn the price hikes into a sales pitch...
Where other companies say "Big sale! Now it costs less", GW says "Upcoming price hike! Soon it will cost more"... And what happens? People actually believe they get a bargain when they buy a heap of stuff at the same price as it's always been (well, at least since last price raise)...

Remember ye who cry foul: They can only be evil because we let them get away with it!

Griefbringer
30-01-2006, 20:30
And finally, ten metal Space Marines, were not £20 (~$35 US) back in the early- to mid-1990s. Half that or a bit more, maybe...... otherwise I'd never have accumulated so many of them as I actually did.

I think when the Grey Hunter and Blood Claw boxed sets came out (late 1992 or early 1993) they cost about 12 £ for a boxed set of 10 metal models (with plastic arms and weapons). I will need to dig up my WD collection at home to confirm this, though.

ArtificerArmour
30-01-2006, 20:31
Its annoying GW doesn't have sales when they are getting rid of an old mould. Like selling the old rhinos off at 50% when the new ones were being made.

also...£20 to £25 for a russ? thats excessive!

Hlokk
30-01-2006, 21:23
So, if the russ is going up to £25, is the demolisher going up as well?

Slappy
30-01-2006, 23:34
I hope so.

Hlokk
30-01-2006, 23:36
why would you want something to go up in price?

Corporal Punishment
30-01-2006, 23:38
Maybe he's hoping that some clowns will stop buying it. :D

Hywel
31-01-2006, 01:41
Hlokk, you make a stunningly good point - GW seem to be the only company that increase the price on the same product over time.

I'm struggling to think of any other product that increases in price over time while its still in production.

Slappy
31-01-2006, 01:47
Yep.

But somehow the fanboys will say this practice is justified even though it's almost unheard of.

Easy E
31-01-2006, 02:15
Dude, I started gaming when I was 11 and I'm now 22.
When I was a kid my parents never bought me any Warhammer and when I was a kid I could hardly afford it.
Now that I'm an adult, I can hardly afford it and my parents still refuse to buy me any Warhammer.

Nothing has changed, except that for a short time as an adult I could afford to buy Warhammer, but that time will cease come the price hike.

This could be the best post I have ever read about price hikes. Someone please sig this!

Griefbringer
31-01-2006, 07:35
Hlokk, you make a stunningly good point - GW seem to be the only company that increase the price on the same product over time.

I'm struggling to think of any other product that increases in price over time while its still in production.

How about almost everything else than electronics?

It is just that most consumer goods do not rise in price as noticeably as GW prices. And if prices would not increase there would be no inflation.

And back to the cost of Space Marines, I just checked back to WD157 (January 1993) which lists a box of 10 metal marines for 12.99£ and going a few years more back they would be going for 1£ per marine.

Jedi152
31-01-2006, 07:45
Like i said in another thread, is GW the only company in the world that raises their prices whilst simultaneously reducing their range?

I can't think of any other industry like this ... Many might rise with inflation, but nothing like GW's greed.

**EDIT** Damn. Hlokk already said it.

They are really going to get into trouble if (and when) they price all new starters out of the hobby.

Goddamnit. Well it could be worse. They could hike everything. :wtf:
I'm willing to bet we have at least on more price rise on everything before the end of the year.

Plastic regiment and squad sets will be £20 by december.

Brushmonkey
31-01-2006, 08:19
Yeah dammit, this is no way for a charity to act... Bastards!

Osbad
31-01-2006, 09:32
Simple problem is that GW have competition. It is OK jacking up your prices where you have a monopoly, but if GW's prices go up and other company's don't then the competition for those sales will mean GW sell less and the games fall apart.

For instance I already have shifted my paint buying from GW paints at £2 (now)/12ml to Vallejo which I can buy for £1/17ml. Not only is it cheaper but it is nicer paint. Jacking the prices up means it is that much easier to take the plunge and start another game. Many won't do this, others will. GW are gambling with their customers attitudes.

Ultimately it will work or it will not and time will tell.

My own opinion is betrayed by the fact that I ain't buying and GW shares at the minute...