PDA

View Full Version : Will GW spray the spray?

Vermin-thing
01-12-2009, 09:20
After comparing "GW" spray paints to an alternate product from my local art shop, I've come to the conclusion that I'd get a better product for less $$$.

FYI here's the product in question: https://store.opusframing.com/sagro/storefront/store.php?mode=searchstore&search[searchfor]=spray+paint+black&search[mode]=andexact&x=0&y=0
Now this would truly be a better product if I could use it at my not-so-local gee-dub.

Now my question is, has anyone ever run into a situation where they had to either not prime at the store or buy "GW" spray? I realize that the staffers probably would only do it with "GW" spray, but would this be an issue with a loyal customer doing it?

I've seen people using non GW brand glue in the store, and the staff had no problem with it, but I wonder if they would have the same attitude towards using non GW spray. The management in the store switched (for the better) recently, and I only know him so well, but not well enough to determine his tolerance with non GW stuff.

I just really can't afford the liquid gold that GW sells.

Jind, you might be able to answer this. :)

Thanks,

-Verm

Arbas
01-12-2009, 09:24
Prime them at home /shrug

The Marshel
01-12-2009, 09:29
I don't really see how you'd have to do a great deal of priming at gw anyway. Unless you plan on buying, building and painting an entire unit/squad/whatever in one trip. Either way, there will always be ways around it and if there is a problem, just prime off site.

I didn't take a good look at the product you're intending on buying, but be sure its a primer and it'll actually prime you're miniatures. test it on a single expandable miniature if you haven't already, and i emphasis miniature. simply spraying sprue is rather different as sprue lacks all detail.

Vermin-thing
01-12-2009, 09:32
Well I'd do it at home, buttttt I'm sort on time, and there's no suitable covered area.

It says it drys to a matt finish so it should be okay.

I'm interested about how this sort of thing varies from store to store.

Avian
01-12-2009, 10:11
How could you spray at a store anyway? Would you not have to do it outside (in which case why not do it at home) or have the other people there choking on the fumes (those spray paints smell 'orrible).

But anyways, as with any "brand" mark, the logo is 30-50% of the price (and it might not even be a pretty logo).

Ujio
01-12-2009, 10:12
Short on time so you take them to your local gw? Doesnt make much sense to me. If you have no covered area, use some newspaper or an empty box maybe?

Cant see gw letting you use another spray tbh, but I suppose you could try.

Wednesday Friday Addams
01-12-2009, 10:13
I guess if you want the convenience that GW provides you will have to pay for it.

blongbling
01-12-2009, 13:47
why would you go to a GW to spray, just do it at home! You can always spot a workshoppers house by the black and white spray marks on the top of their wheelie bins

marv335
01-12-2009, 18:29
Why on earth should they spray your models with some other company's spray when they sell their own?

Dwarf Supreme
01-12-2009, 19:56
Why on earth should they spray your models with some other company's spray when they sell their own?

You're being facetious, right?

The Orange
01-12-2009, 20:01
Sorry but how can they stop you? I could imagine them giving you a dirty look, but if these guys know you well then I'd think they wouldn't care too much. Even if their not happy with it what Law says you have to use only there products in their store.

marv335
01-12-2009, 20:06
You're being facetious, right?

No.
My local has a spray booth for undercoating.
If you want stuff undercoated, you have to use GW undercoat.
Would you go into a restaurant and open up a packed lunch?
Or go into the GW and start playing Warmachine on the gaming tables?
It's the same thing.
What you use when you're not in the shop is your own business, but in their place of business?
No.
If you want to use other undercoat, do it at home.
If you want to spray in the shop, use the GW stuff.

sigur
01-12-2009, 20:10
Sorry but how can they stop you? I could imagine them giving you a dirty look, but if these guys know you well then I'd think they wouldn't care too much. Even if their not happy with it what Law says you have to use only there products in their store.

They surely will stay close friends to him when he's being a dick about the whole thing, ignores their rules and insists on using another spray than theirs in their store.

When I painted at a GW store once, the moment I got out my Vallejo paints, the manager kindly asked to pack them away and so I did. It's their store, so it's their rules.

N810
01-12-2009, 20:14
Wonder what he would think about my random collection of basic tube acrilics and craft/apper barrel paints, krylon sprays and automotive primer. :evilgrin:

Mannimarco
01-12-2009, 20:48
I use the humbrol spray paints (better selection than GW, woohoo desert yellow in a spray!) and a combination of humbrol, vallejo and army painter products for my models, its pretty blatant as well and ive never had any trouble

I can see why the staffers dont want you bringing out other companies paints, after all other people in the store might be curious as to what they are then be tempted to go and try them themselves, this would take money out of GWs till, Im sure the staff at your local GW wont be to happy if you break out the valejos and say to people "yeah good selection of paints, prefer them to GW and theyre cheaper as well"

Wednesday Friday Addams
01-12-2009, 20:50
Normally the way it goes is that for some items like glue and paint etc the store will let you use their stuff and and ask you to put your stuff back in your bag.
I am unsure how this works with the spray as we can't spray in our store.

Schmapdi
01-12-2009, 23:47
uhm - the link you listed has that spray paint at 13.80 a can - that's almost as bad as GW own.

Imperius
02-12-2009, 04:33
I only prime my tanks, I never really saw the point of primers in the first place.

I haven't noticed any of the mythical 'chalkiness' on non-primed models. I also use the $3 spray paints at cheap hardware stores, as long as they are not disgustingly runny like the GW ones it is fine.

killalot363
02-12-2009, 05:20
if ur gunna buy a non gw primer u need to make sure its ultra fast drying cause i made that mistake ruined my land raiders treads :(

Vermin-thing
02-12-2009, 07:00
Thanks for the posts so far.

I ended up not even pulling it out to spray. :) By the time I set up my 300 models I had a game.

I went too collage, and then to GW, that's why.

About the spray, it's very good quality with no over-spray!!!, and very fast drying time.

My not-so-local gee-dub is in a mall basement so there's access to the cardboard bailer, and back door.

As for doing it at home there's really not very much space at all, unless I get flawless weather.

GomezAddams
02-12-2009, 08:53
I dont see anyone suggesting it so...

You can make a spray painting rig out of a few things. GW suggested in the past to use blu tac and a boX. For single models I use an empty spray can. Walk outside, spray, put can down somewhere well ventilated.

Mostly GW sprays dry pretty quick, so within around 15 minutes it should be fine to place somewhere and crack on with the next batch.

Vermin-thing
02-12-2009, 09:33
uhm - the link you listed has that spray paint at 13.80 a can - that's almost as bad as GW own.

Not when you get far-far superior quality spray.

yeancientone
02-12-2009, 10:43
why would you go to a GW to spray, just do it at home! You can always spot a workshoppers house by the black and white spray marks on the top of their wheelie bins

D'oh - you caught me!

The Orange
02-12-2009, 12:46
What you use when you're not in the shop is your own business, but in their place of business?
No.

A lot of my dice aren't from GW, can I not use them now?
My tape measure was made by some hardware company, can I not use that now?
I converted a mini with non-GW bits, can i not use it now?
I based some of my miniatures with sand from my back yard, not the stuff from GW, can I not use them now?
Some of my miniatures were painted with non-GW paints can I not use them now?
My t-shirt wasn't made by GW, can I not use it now?

Now it's one thing to go into their store and spend an hour or so playing a competitors game in plain view or to sit down, whip out a competitors paint set and sit there for half an hour or so painting in front of all there customers. It's all together different to walk out to the back, whip out a spary can, spend 5 min. spraying something, then shoving it back into a bad out of view. Yes it'd be quite rude to advertise a competitors products in a GW store. But if your not advertising a competitor then I don't see why using a competitors product is so outrageous.

Lord Malorne
02-12-2009, 12:50
I spray at home.

Lord Malornenge

Death_to_the_Xenos
02-12-2009, 15:49
I just spray at home

i know my local GW will spray them but is usually just in the school holidays and if u just assembled them (i donít know where they spray them as the store is in a shopping mall in the middle of the city)

this is mainly to keep the kids occupied as it an unofficial day-care centre (thatís what some of the staff call it) as there are kids in there all day about the age of 10-13

Grimstonefire
02-12-2009, 15:53

Or rather the wall next to the wheelie bin :D. I've never tested other brands of spray to see the quality, what would people recommend as an alternative?

On topic what you do outside their premises is nothing to do with them, unless you're spraying something on the window! In a mall it would be harder to go elsewhere, but all you need is the box whatever it is came in and a blob of blue tack to hold it all down. Go out into the carpark away from cars.

CraftworldsRus
02-12-2009, 16:58
From what I have heard, what you paint with is not a company policy, but rather, left up to managers. The staff at my local has no problem priming the mini's I but from them for me with Armory primer, if I am making a day of my trip to the shop and building, priming and painting my new unit. The manager always warns me that "He can't be responsible when the non-gw primer melts my models." However, they are not big on people using non-gw paints in the shop, although more so because GW paints are provided free of charge anyways.

Digital~Punk
02-12-2009, 17:19
I usually spray at home like most, but if your looking for a cheap altertnave i usually use chalk board paint. Its only like 5 bucks a can and it goes on very thin with a nice porous surface for the paint to stick. Its great for keeping all those details when priming.

ReveredChaplainDrake
02-12-2009, 18:03
I've seen the stuff the OP posted. First the price tag turned me away, then I read "matte finish" and just left. I hate matte finishes on my models. Makes the paint not stick to the model. And at that point, why spray prime the models at all?

I usually stick with an auto parts store's non-varnished black primer. It covers miniatures extremely thin so as not to obscure details, and it dries in just a couple minutes (albeit under a lamp). The only problem is that it doesn't stick to pewter all that well. Thus, for metal, I have to shell out the $15 for GW's primer. At least I can save money on the plastic models I do, though it makes my Bloodcrushers all the more expensive.

My store doesn't outright ban outside sprays. However, they do warn that they can't guarantee the quality of the spray primer on your models if it isn't GW spraypaint. Most people just waive this off and I've yet to see a problem. Also, I have a big ol' can of non-GW hot pink. I've pulled it out several times, and I've never heard a word about it. (At least one of the local redshirts bemoans the discontinuation of Tentacle Pink.)

Skaven13
02-12-2009, 19:26
I usually stick with an auto parts store's non-varnished black primer. It covers miniatures extremely thin so as not to obscure details, and it dries in just a couple minutes (albeit under a lamp). The only problem is that it doesn't stick to pewter all that well. Thus, for metal, I have to shell out the $15 for GW's primer. At least I can save money on the plastic models I do, though it makes my Bloodcrushers all the more expensive.

Have you tried the clean metal primer they offer at auto shops? I have used that for years, for metal and plastic, and haven't really noticed any detail loss at all (well, once in my earlier years 18 years ago, but that probably had something to do with priming in 20 degree weather!).

About the GW "quality" approach/arguement. I will admit that I have never had a problem with their black spray the times I have used it. However, I have had numerous problems with the white primer. It either goes on fuzzy (temp was fine), or it clogs up immediately after use, despite turning it upside down and cleaning the valve. The Purity Seal is yet another matter. A friend of mine has used it twice, and both times it ended up coating his models in a fine white dusty substance. Again, extreme temperature wasn't a factor. I can understand one time, one can, but twice? Two different cans? That, compared to the laughable price, really turned me off to their products.

BaronIveagh
04-12-2009, 07:38
I spray at home.

Lord Malornenge

Amen. And to make matters more interesting, I use only the finest Tamiya colors on my part GW- part forgeword-part scratch built-part third party IP leman russ tanks.

I call it the Leman Russ Abominatus.

Tzar Boris
05-12-2009, 12:25
Only GW spray paint and Glues should be used in/out the back of GW stores. Not for any nefarious marketing strategy, but for H&S rules. As these all contain dangerous and stinky propellants and other chemicals, they would have filled out risk assessments for their own products use in store, and have the appropriate certification for their use, but third-parties are unlikely to have been certified so, therefore they'd be technically breakin the law by allowing their use.. Same as why companies stick with the same brand of bleach to clean the lavvies.

That being said, the amount of times these rules are broken in GW is phenomenal - I'm quite sure there's "dangerous" practices occurring to this day - but it's all a bit of fun. How many times have you went for a can of refreshing carbonated soft drink and left your hobby knife just lying on the table?

The annoyance of being a company unfortunately.

N810
07-12-2009, 14:01
Only GW spray paint and Glues should be used in/out the back of GW stores. Not for any nefarious marketing strategy, but for H&S rules. As these all contain dangerous and stinky propellants and other chemicals, they would have filled out risk assessments for their own products use in store, and have the appropriate certification for their use, but third-parties are unlikely to have been certified so, therefore they'd be technically breakin the law by allowing their use.. Same as why companies stick with the same brand of bleach to clean the lavvies.

That being said, the amount of times these rules are broken in GW is phenomenal - I'm quite sure there's "dangerous" practices occurring to this day - but it's all a bit of fun. How many times have you went for a can of refreshing carbonated soft drink and left your hobby knife just lying on the table?

The annoyance of being a company unfortunately.

Unless you live outside the UK where nobody cares about your health. :p