PDA

View Full Version : Oldest humans and Rejuv treatment

Obyri
01-12-2009, 10:27
I've just been wondering according to any fluff sources how old is the oldest human mentioned. Im discounting astartes and the upper echelons of the mechanicus (when they are almost completely mechanised) as you can argue that niether are wholly human anymore.

So how long can a person live if they have access to the best rejuv treatments and also the luxury of not meeting some horrid end at some enemies hands or via accident.

I know eisenhorn go to his late 250's IIRC and he has a master (Rorken?) who must surely be older and is still mentioned as active in Ravenor which is set after eisenhorns death/dissapearance.

So how old can you get - surely rejuv can't make you effectively immortal barring accidental death/murder as even in the fantasy setting of 40K i doubt the human body can just keep going.

So any info would be appreciated. i would like to know of any older mechanicus or heavily mechanised individuals but mainly just regular humans who haven't gone too cyborg (the odd limb or organ is acceptable)

Any speculations on how old you can get with rejuv also welcome.

EDIT: NO CHAOS / MAGIC imbued "humans" - just true blue mortals with the miracles of *cough* science.

grissom2006
01-12-2009, 10:45
It's never truely been laid out as to how long the treatments can be used for. I seem to recall another Inquisitor somewhere being put at over 400 years of age. I very much doubt that it has ever been intended to be a eternal fountain of youth for those who get access to it.

darth mortis
01-12-2009, 14:21
i remember the iquisitor been 400 odd years old in the grey knight codex but other then that its not stated how long they will live/last there is also the bionics that could be used hearts, eyes, lungs etc so its a difficult question to answer. if your on about haveing none of those bionics then i dont think it would be much longer then ours now maybe just over 100 odd years?

mightymconeshot
01-12-2009, 16:22
eisenhorns savent is around 900 years if i remeber coreectly. i do know he served 3 masters.

Geddonight
01-12-2009, 16:27
In Titanicus, isn't there a Titan pilot who's well over 500?

I recall seeing a show on the Discovery channel not too long ago discussing the topic of extending human lifespans. It postulated that the people being born now may well live to be 1000 if we get our ducks in a row.

Given 38,000 years, I'd assume we could at least have figured that out.

Malitov
01-12-2009, 16:57
Eisenhorns Savant was well over 600. IIRC Alessandro Rorkins (Eisenhorns boss) was over 500 in the last book. Cains up around the 150-200 year mark as well as Jurgen. I'd imagine the highlords of Terra have access to much more advanced Rejuv treaments than even Inquisitors.

Kroot Lord
01-12-2009, 20:23
I'm sure there're techpriests and others working for the Adeptus Mechanicus who are thousands of years old, but are 99% machine as well.

So where are the boundaries?

Urath
01-12-2009, 20:59
Malcador the Sigilite was with the Emperor since the beginning, possibly before, the Unification Wars on Terra right up until the climax of the Horus Heresy.

grissom2006
02-12-2009, 06:15
Malcador the Sigilite was with the Emperor since the beginning, possibly before, the Unification Wars on Terra right up until the climax of the Horus Heresy.

He was but he was also the second most powerful human psyker in history at that point. So like the Emperor his life could of been longer due to his psychic talents and not rejuv treatments.

Obyri
02-12-2009, 07:20
Thanks for the numbers there guys - i can't believe i had forgotten about poor old Uber Aemos,

genestealer_baldric
02-12-2009, 07:41
what about delia from machnicum ?? she could be around 10,000

commissar hark
02-12-2009, 07:46
I'm sure that I read somewhere that the Sigilite was the son of/descended from the emperor and so gained his longevity that way. I'm guessing that his psychic strength helped as well.

Clockwork-Knight
02-12-2009, 07:55
I doubt it's spelled outright. At best, it's only hinted at that Malcador might be a descendant of the guy on the big golden toilet himself.

darth mortis
02-12-2009, 09:24
but the question and some the answers suggest that they have all had some form of bioncs implanted to make them function as normal? with the exception of psychic powers. so if this is the case how long would they last with just the re juv treatment and no bionics at all? a few hundred years perhaps but i cant see it been too much more without help but thats just my 2 cents

Duoth
02-12-2009, 11:42
How old is Yarrick?

MagosHereticus
02-12-2009, 12:47
How old is Yarrick?

the impossible question

Crazy Ivan
02-12-2009, 13:12
How old is Yarrick?
I believe this is unknown, but he was due for retirement when the Second War for Armageddon began, and he was still active during the Third War fifty years later, so he's probably at least somewhere in his second century...

Idaan
02-12-2009, 15:41
In one of the INQ materials there was a plot hook with a 600-year old Inquisitor. He was still alive, but the rejuvenat treatments have left him pretty helpless, and so he was forced to act behind the scenes and through agents.

mightymconeshot
02-12-2009, 17:53
well what does ravenor count as. as long as his machine doesnt fail he could live forever.

baphomael
02-12-2009, 21:14
I'd assume it varies, depending on the individuals lifestyle. I'd assume juvenat treatments work by counteracting the aging process, but a few bad habits (smoking, firefights etc) can still be deadly. Planetary Lord Dave might fork out a fortune on juvenat treatments, but all those lho sticks, pork pies and amasec he quaffs are still gonna turn his liver into pate and the cotents of his circulatory system to butter - a coronary is a coronary.

Crazy Ivan
02-12-2009, 22:20
I'd assume it varies, depending on the individuals lifestyle. I'd assume juvenat treatments work by counteracting the aging process, but a few bad habits (smoking, firefights etc) can still be deadly. Planetary Lord Dave might fork out a fortune on juvenat treatments, but all those lho sticks, pork pies and amasec he quaffs are still gonna turn his liver into pate and the cotents of his circulatory system to butter - a coronary is a coronary.
I'm sure that if you have enough money (which a Planetary Governor would have), there's someone willing to sell you a replacement lung, liver, heart or what have you. Either augmentic, vat-grown, or simply taken (voluntarily or no) from someone else.

Heck, high-ranking members of the Adeptus Mechanicus even have partly augmentic brains!

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology." :p

Of course, instant death might still be hard to cure...

baphomael
02-12-2009, 22:48
I'm sure that if you have enough money (which a Planetary Governor would have), there's someone willing to sell you a replacement lung, liver, heart or what have you. Either augmentic, vat-grown, or simply taken (voluntarily or no) from someone else.

Heck, high-ranking members of the Adeptus Mechanicus even have partly augmentic brains!

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology." :p

Of course, instant death might still be hard to cure...

A bit late when your heart has already exploded in your chest, mind :p we already have organ transplants, doesnt stop people from dying of heart attacks or liver failure.

Ambull Tau
31-12-2009, 02:00
I suspect the actual age is dictated by plot.

The novel Ravenor Rogue implies that a thousand years is not do-able, but doesn't say it outright.

The thousand mark does seem pretty incredible as well. I suspect 600-900 is exceptional going.

What your quality of life is, however, is another matter entirely.

How long do dreadnoughts 'live' for?

Ramius4
31-12-2009, 02:12

This means nothing. The period beginning with the end of the Unification Wars to the ending of the Horus Heresy is only supposed to be something like 300 years.

And I can't imagine the Unification Wars took the Emperor more than 10 years at the most.

meneptah
31-12-2009, 09:43
I always imagined in 40k that people would live to be 250-300 years with juvenat...
The only reason i say that is because i dont believe(at least in the 40k realm) without sorcery a human being cannot survive past the 300ish mark simply due to wear and tear on the brain.
Also add some psychological effect here, who would really want to live that long?
That would add more strain on our brains until eventually we would burn ourselves out.

Mort
31-12-2009, 10:11
i would suppose that the only limit considering juvenant treatments is the amount of resources/money someone is able/willing to spend. Lots of the mechanicus folks are way over a thousand years old, like princeps gearhard in mechanicus, who was about 5000 (not 500 iirc) years old. On the other hand, there were only about 13 percent left of his original body.

MrSatan
31-12-2009, 14:29
Do dreadnoughts count? If so bjorn the fell-handed has been around since before the heresy!

Londinium
31-12-2009, 14:58
what about delia from machnicum ?? she could be around 10,000

Thats due to some funky magics though rather than rejuv treatment or whatever, well that and a very thinly veiled reference to the Templar in Indiana Jones :D

FashaTheDog
31-12-2009, 15:15
Thats due to some funky magics though rather than rejuv treatment or whatever, well that and a very thinly veiled reference to the Templar in Indiana Jones :D

At least she didn't go there with her father Sean Connery...

As for the treatments, I imagine that they would be something akin to Robert Sawyer's Rollback in terms of effect, so any physical effects from aging would be reversed, only it'snot as complete so there is only so many times one can have it effectively done.

Killgore
31-12-2009, 15:18
Its been noted in many storys that the oldest of tech priests that have recieved life prolonging machinery and treatments may live for hundreds of years but eventualy go stark raving bonkers

all very well your body being in good shape but thats no good if your minds a few bolts short of a full clip.

FashaTheDog
31-12-2009, 15:24
Oh yes it is, those are guys you give planetary morning vox shows to.

kamedake88
31-12-2009, 18:53
In the forty first millennium who knows for sure. A person could probably go through rejuvenate treatments for centuries and keep their body at peak levels. I think a more pertinent question would be is how "safe" is someone when they have access to these treatments. Lets take the high lords for instance. While I do know a few of them rotate position, ie are elected... they have to probably be the most secure group of humans in the galaxy. I would assume that a few of the current ones are close on a thousand years old.

Then again bodies aren't the problem, its whether or not The mind in it self still has: one the will to live that long or two still is functioning properly after centuries of existence.

Brother Siccarius
31-12-2009, 19:03
That all depends, are we talking about their biological age or their age in years.
Two very different things in 40k.

Their biological age is effected by things like juvenant treatments, psychic abilities, and various gifts of warp powers (Not just chaos gods mind).

Their age in years between birth and current are vastly different depending on lifestyle. A bog standard imperial officer on campaign could reliably live well past the 200 year mark without juvenant treatments depending on the ebb and flow of the warp in their area. Because of the time dilating effects of warp travel a man could feasibly go on a trip through the warp that lasts days from his perspective and emerge 20 years older based on the fact that he came out of the warp 20 years after he went in, despite only biologically aging days.

It's one of the well developed things that was added into the Ciaphas Cain series. No one knew his age when he died because of his amount of time in the warp, but he survived quite a long time.

Then of course, there are the "Children of the Emperor" who claim to be psychically immortal.

nazrag
31-12-2009, 20:18
Well Colonel Schaeffer said he was about 300 years old, said about cause he also travels a lot...though he have been rebuilt a couple of times ( we have the technology!! :rolleyes:)...

LexxBomb
01-01-2010, 08:57
old fluff has you being able to use the rejuv vats indefinately but each time requiring you to relearn everything again including walking and eating. Its why the Mechanicus guys install hard drives so they dont lose all they have learned.

Askil the Undecided
01-01-2010, 12:20
Well that must have been retconned out/ignored totally as Eisenhorn lived to three hundred plus and clearly recalled details of unreported events when he was fourty. Ravenor lived into his second century without forgetting what it was like being able to walk. Admiral Ravensburg of Battlefleet Gothic recalled beng a cadet at 200 plus.

Also forgetting everything rather makes the life extention worthless, what's the point making someone live for centuries if every fifty-odd years they forget all the skills, experiences and memories that made them useful enough to go to the effort of extending their life?

LexxBomb
01-01-2010, 12:26
yer but gregor used the rejuv pills and meds, those only partially rejuv they dont totally reconstruct the body on a molecular level. The vats basicly regrow you.

Askil the Undecided
01-01-2010, 14:12
Well... who pray tell has been explicitly stated as using a rejuve vat? the only vats I've found reference to are used to grow things (like biological components) and life support tanks like in necropolis.

LexxBomb: all rejuve drugs work by altering you on a genetic (and thus molecular) level to halt neural deterioration and promote cell replacement at youthful levels, the problem is that as with all drug based therapies the body would eventually build a resistance to it. Also there is the chance that some people would have allergies to the reatment or an inherited genetic resistance from prolonged familial exposure or concievably it might naturally occur in some cases.

LexxBomb
01-01-2010, 19:23
wasn't the vats referenced in Codex Imperialis and Ian Watsons Inquisition War trilogy. IM sure a character from that used a vat.

RayvenQ
01-01-2010, 19:59
Well that must have been retconned out/ignored totally as Eisenhorn lived to three hundred plus and clearly recalled details of unreported events when he was fourty. Ravenor lived into his second century without forgetting what it was like being able to walk. Admiral Ravensburg of Battlefleet Gothic recalled beng a cadet at 200 plus.

Also forgetting everything rather makes the life extention worthless, what's the point making someone live for centuries if every fifty-odd years they forget all the skills, experiences and memories that made them useful enough to go to the effort of extending their life?

Well the old Rejuv vats make slightly little sense, because, why extend a persons age if they're then going to spend a hell of a long time relearning everything, they'll have just gotten their previous level of experience and then it'd be time to rejuv again.

In Eisenhorn, remarking about Quixos, Eisenhorn said something like "300 years, that's no real age is it"

Askil the Undecided
01-01-2010, 21:18
Well to be absolutely fair it makes far less sense to forget everything than to be able to halt neural degradation and rejuvinate living cells by inducing a more youthful state of replication.

I like this interpretation though the treatments seem a like one-shot and the extentions might be a bit mean.

rejuvenant treatment by lightbringer (http://www.darkreign40k.com/general-background/rejuvenat-treatment-2.html)

LexxBomb
01-01-2010, 22:08
but wouldn't the vats enab;e cells to reconstructed without the RNA strings because isn't that what ageing really is the DNA strands becomming mostly RNA due to replication.