PDA

View Full Version : Lone Marine - Colour / Chapter Selection?

Petay1985
01-12-2009, 12:26
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, i am needing some help with colour scheme/chapter selection for a rather special little project i am about to embark upon. I am going to make my first 'artscale' or 'true scale' space marine, i have been inspired by the work of 'Lamenter (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199636&highlight=truescale)' and 'Doghouse (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231796&highlight=doghouse)' two sculpters that i would be happy to be half as talented as!! I stongly suggest those that are not familiar click on their links and take the time to view their work!!

Thus i am shamlessly stealing an idea from Doghouse to field a singular marine in my Imperial Guard force under the rules and profile of Colonel 'iron hand' Straken. And as doghouse quite correctly states, this is a nicely themed and probably more accurate way of fielding a marine in a guard force. My Guard army are Elysians and can be found here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232393

So with this in mind i intend to create an artscale marine with the same wargear as Straken, plasma pistol and shotgun, i will then either use bionics to correct convey his rules or i will give him a power sword to the same effect. If i do decide to go along the bionics route i will be looking at creating some thing along the lines of the work of 'beork (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202797)'

What i need help with is selecting a suitable Marine Colour Scheme / Chapter for the lone marine.

The way i see it there are 2 schools of thought in selecting a theme, either:
1. Colour scheme based decision (ant chapter possible)
2. Fluff based decision (pick a chapter that would likely have lone operatives in the field).

I hope that this makes sense and i look forward to seeing what people come up with :) Thanks in advance for any help and ideas :)

Apologist
01-12-2009, 12:31
Scythes of the Emperor would make for a good choice. Striking colour scheme, low numbers and desperate modus operandi makes for a great story behind your marine. It even explains his unusual armament and reduced I carrying wounds from the Great Devourer.

Petay1985
01-12-2009, 12:37
Scythes of the Emperor would make for a good choice. Striking colour scheme, low numbers and desperate modus operandi makes for a great story behind your marine. It even explains his unusual armament and reduced I carrying wounds from the Great Devourer.

Indeed i too was looking at explaining the reduced I, my thoughts were through the use of Bionics. But wounds would also work nicely!! Thanks :)

GrimZAG
01-12-2009, 12:43
hm... this looks interesting and awesome all at once!

and I have some ideas:

- Dark Angel wanting to scout out information on 'unforgiven' (green, bone, black)
- Marine who is part of the inquisition (black, silver)
- Gritty coloured marine to match your elysians (camo green and brown with silver trim)
- Possibly a Space Wolf 'Lone Wolf' (light blue and wolf talismans)
- 'Stealth' looking marine (completely black with small high lights of green/blue lighting around armour)
- Apothecary! (lol, just kidding, I love these models)

Best of luck to you in your endeavor.

Cpt_Baughan
01-12-2009, 14:01
Seems to me rather than taking an exsisting chapture and making them fit the theme just make your own chapter and theme them to suit.

I.e. possible a chapter based in the same system as your Elyians with close ties to the guard regiment, they also spechialise in air mobile warfare such as jump packs, land speeders and thunder hawks etc and as a result often send veterans to train units of men or lead units of Elysian Veterans when a Air born missions need to be carried out but the chapter is busy.

A green colour is an obviuos choice something not quite as dark of the DA green so maybe one of the foundation paints

Onisuzume
01-12-2009, 14:36
Fallen Angel (Black/Robed), Sons of Malal/Malice (parted per cross/saltire argent and sable), Ordo Xenos Deathwatch (also black...), www.Bolter&Chainsword.com marine (xD).

Daicon
01-12-2009, 14:52
hm... this looks interesting and awesome all at once!

and I have some ideas:

- Dark Angel wanting to scout out information on 'unforgiven' (green, bone, black)

This. However, I would paint the marine black and actually have it be one of the Fallen. Not all of them swore allegiance to Chaos, and some are still actively trying to aid the Imperium. Having one lone marine as the commander of a guard regiment could fit in the sense of it being one of the Fallen trying to make amends for his grevious error all those many years ago.

Count de Monet
01-12-2009, 15:01
One of the Mentor Legion's Elite Cadre would be good to be leading another force.

Alternatively, if "Lamenter" is part of your inspiration...why not one of the Lamenters chapter?

Grimbad
01-12-2009, 15:06
I'd go with an ultra-zealous chapter (black templars, maybe) as it fits Straken's offensive style. Then I'd cover his command squad in as many purity seals as I could find. I'd think only the most religious Guardsmen would get within 5 feet of a Marine without soiling their trousers in fear/adoration.
Or Raven Guard, to match the Elysian style.
I don't think it's really necessary to have an 'artscale' dude, as aren't Elysians more properly sized and proportioned already, with hunched poses to boot, making Marines look bigger and bulkier by comparison?

Petay1985
01-12-2009, 15:23
Thank you everyonw for your input so far, i am torn between a few concepts at the moment:
- Iron Hands, marine with heavy augmentation. (fits nicely into the 'straken' theme)
- Imperial Fist, bold colour scheme appeals.
- Raptors (forgeworld colours) will fit in nicely with my army, always liked them.
- Inquisition based...(note this could combine with any of the above as could the bionics!!)

@Grimbad - you are quite correct in that the Elysians are smaller (better preportioned) than the GW guard. Thus my Marine will be 'true scaled' inline with my Elysians, i am not looking to make a monster, lol.
But as you quite rightly say, i may not need to change the marine that much in context with the Elysians :)

No-One
01-12-2009, 15:29
Iron Snakes or whatever they're called, the Dan Abbnett made chapter have lone operatives

another one that would be nice to see is a Soul Drinker, purple and gold, cool background, they could fit the bill nicely IMO

The Custodian
01-12-2009, 15:35
I'm suprised no one suggested this yet, provided youre army can make the transition a preheresy legion could work also... Back then space marines led gaurd forces...

Ph4lanx
01-12-2009, 16:58
A sole Deathwatch marine would look nice :) Certainly striking.

My sole marine was based on that ages ago.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa151/chrisdamico/100_1565.jpg
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa151/chrisdamico/100_1564.jpg

Petay1985
01-12-2009, 23:19
Ok i am ruling out an Inquisition based unit, i just don't feel a death watch marine fits the image in my head...

...or the Model i have built, see the attachements below :)

@Grimbad, after more contextual comparison and some eyeing through comparison models you sir were quite right that a full 'art-scale' marine would be a touch to large, thus the marine pictured below is only a tiny bit larger, in the waist and with the use of a forgeworld cadian head to help make the armour appear bulkier. This is essentially a test model and mock up for when i sit down to amke my final marine.

So folks this is the kinda feel of the model i need help choosing a chapter for, don't forget he is a proxy for Straken too, as i will make another final piece items can be changed!! :)

Cognitave
01-12-2009, 23:25
Doesn't Stracken have the rule called "Man of Adimantium"? Sounds awfully Iron Hands to me :angel:

Ph4lanx
01-12-2009, 23:43
Mentor Legion!

Grimbad
02-12-2009, 00:16
Inquisition-based doesn't have to mean deathwatch, it could also include Exorcists or Red Hunters.

BlackLegion
02-12-2009, 01:17
Mentor Legion. Those are the only ones who would send a single Marine to an Imperial Guard force. That he is heavily agumented with bionics and uses an unusal weapon (Shotgun) fits with the experimental tech style of the Mentor Legion.

MajorWesJanson
02-12-2009, 01:21
I agree, Mentors.

Myself, I was going to use a Techmarine with servo-arm for Straken in my force.

Petay1985
02-12-2009, 07:32
The codex says that the Mentor Chapter favour working alone, unobserved by all but their foe. I see this very much as them working as an independant force not as singular marines!?
However the lexicanum article clearly talks of their loaning and singular combat nature, i think we may have a winner, but i'm just not sure on the colour scheme!!

Despite there being no documented evidence that Raptors would work alone, i think they are my currently winning colour scheme!! But that said i am tempted by simply Ultramarines!

Cpt_Baughan
02-12-2009, 21:32
All in all I think prioritise the paint scheme and over all look therefore you won’t end up with a marine which despite fitting the fluff looks completely out of place.

Therefore I think Raptors are an excellent choice

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
03-12-2009, 02:26
Personally, I'm all for a Celestial Lion. Striking and desperate enough to deploy single Marines.

The Mentors are bright (and appropriate), but a tad bland. A proper camo-style Raptor would do right fine, too.

Melchor
03-12-2009, 02:49
I'd suggest an Alpha Legion Marine. Taking command of an Imperial Guard regiment in order to use the oblivious guardsmen against the Imperium they serve is just the kind of thing the Alpha Legion is famous for.

Onisuzume
03-12-2009, 10:04
Or a Doomed One/Lost One (http://p102.ezboard.com/Who-is-Malal/fthetempleofmalalfrm8.showMessage?topicID=1.topic) ....

The single perfect reason why you can fight any army.

Petay1985
04-12-2009, 09:32
Thanks for all your input so far folks, i am still yet to decide on a colour scheme or chapter, but i have started the project for building a true-scale marine none the less, here is the link: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233664

Cheers :)