PDA

View Full Version : Saurus Oldblood... kill squads or tank up?

wysematt2222
01-12-2009, 12:33
I know there are a couple of accepted ways to run an Oldblood, and even quite a few reasons why Lizardmen dont even need to take one with access to Scar-Vets, but Im not concerned with all that. I want to run an unconventional one.

There are two difference Oldbloods Im leaning towards, the 8 attack frenzy version, and the -1 armor save, cold one tank.

Saurus Oldblood #1 (255): Hide of the Cold Ones, Enchanted Shield, Burning Blade of Chotec, Bane Head, Cold One. (Much thanks to Ultimate Life Form for pointing out this builds illegality.) To make it legal, I will switch the hide for Light Armor and add the Glyph Necklace. (I just realized that this build was doubly illegal, it had two "armors" Hide and the Shield)

Saurus Oldblood #2 (255): Scimitar of the Sun Resplendent, Maiming Shield, Carnosaur Pendant, Light Armor.

Has anyone every ran, or ran up against, Oldbloods such as these? And if not, any advice? Ive never run an Oldblood before, prefering to stick with Slan, but its time for a change. Any help would be much appreciated.

Ultimate Life Form
01-12-2009, 12:55
To make your decision easier, Hide of the Cold Ones and Cold One are mutually exclusive. Obviously the beast refuses to carry someone who wears the skin of its friend.

I usually take the attack monster, but I choose to ditch the Carnosaur Pendant and go with the real deal. An Old One on Carnosaur like this can chew through almost everything on its own.

wysematt2222
01-12-2009, 13:00
Right you are, stupid tiny (Saurus on Foot Only) under the points. I was wondering why I didnt see that combo more often, a toughness 6 leader with five flaming attacks at -4 armor and a -1+ save, was obviously too good to be true.

Onidan
01-12-2009, 13:16
Too be honest, Ive never really seen (or used for that matter) an Oldblood on foot.

But if I would use one it would most likely look something like this:

Hide of the Cold One, Poison of the Firefly Frog, Glyph Necklace, Shield and Greatweapon.

Either 3+ AS, 5+ Ward and 5 S7 magical/poisoned attacks or 1+ AS, 5+ Ward and 5 S5 magical/poisoned attacks paired with T6 and fear. Hard to kill but pretty killy himself.

wysematt2222
01-12-2009, 13:38
Ive never taken a Carnosaur before, primarily because I dont think it makes any sense that its not a large target.

Is it really worth freeing up the points in the army for what is, unfortunately, (on the scale of 200+ point monsters) rather easy to kill?

Edit: Easy to kill, in my mind, only because three of my most common opponents run cannons in mass.

Horus38
01-12-2009, 18:12
Ive never taken a Carnosaur before, primarily because I dont think it makes any sense that its not a large target.

Is it really worth freeing up the points in the army for what is, unfortunately, (on the scale of 200+ point monsters) rather easy to kill?

Edit: Easy to kill, in my mind, only because three of my most common opponents run cannons in mass.

The large target bit is a tad... odd. But hey, it was part of the buffs we got this time around. The carnosaur is the equivalent of the other races dragon, in that it is one of the apex lord mount choices in the list. So I wouldn't worry about it being fluffy, it's our most powerful mount skilled at hunting in the jungles of lustria, apparently has some camo to cancel out the large target ;)

Wrathiel
01-12-2009, 18:13
easy to kill? it can hide in a ranked up unit of templeguard/saurus warriors/skinks... and (I think) get a look out sir...

JRD4
01-12-2009, 18:28
Actually because it's US is 5 or more it can be targeted and doesn't get a look out sir even though it's not a large target. It's in the BRB under characters in units.

Oh and I like the 2nd guy, but would like him better on a cold one. There's no reason not to put him on one even if you're going to put him in a infantry unit as the extra +2 to saves is nice.

Wrathiel
01-12-2009, 19:00
that would certinaly be true if it wasnt unit strength 4. (3 for the carnosaur, 1 for the leezard riding him)

N810
01-12-2009, 19:06
To protect the Carnie just run a cheep screen of ranked skinks in front of him. ;)

willowdark
01-12-2009, 19:09
There's no way that's accurate! Carni is a monster, and therefore its unit strength is determined by its starting wounds.

Please tell me it has more than 3 wounds!

Ultimate Life Form
01-12-2009, 19:33
It does...

gorenut
01-12-2009, 22:28
I love Oldbloods.. having said that.. in my opinion I believe they belong on a Carnosaur if you're going to take one. It offers something different that a Scar Vet can't really accomplish. Otherwise I think you're better off just saving the points and getting more troops. I'd go all out killyness, you got plenty of other stuff to tank for you in the army.

Malorian
01-12-2009, 22:31
An oldblood with a great weapon and light armor is a nice way to get str into your army and yet keep it cheap (167).

Personally though I like taking the blade of tzunki and the glyph necklace on a coldone. Makes him very killy and very survivable.

Wrathiel
01-12-2009, 22:32
There's no way that's accurate! Carni is a monster, and therefore its unit strength is determined by its starting wounds.

Please tell me it has more than 3 wounds!

im at work so im doing this all from memory, but I believe he has a special rule saying he is only US 3.

Bard Harlock
01-12-2009, 23:06
5 wounds on a Carnosaur and I didn't see the special rule.

Ultimate Life Form
01-12-2009, 23:10
Most likely a case of work-induced brain failure. The Slann has that US3 rule, not the Carno.

Onisuzume
02-12-2009, 10:52
Yeah, Oldblood on Carnosaur would be US6.

Gaargod
02-12-2009, 13:26
This is a good thing incidentally. Ok, you don't get to hide him in a unit, but it means he can break ranks and claim table quarters. Plus, charge him into a fear causing cav units (khorne knights come to mind), kill 3+ of them and autobreak the rest. Fun times :)

I'd say if you're taking an old one, you should be taking advantage of his much higher magic items allowance and ideally his ability to go on a carnosaur (exception being Blade of Realities + Enc Shield for -1+ armour save tank). Otherwise, in most cases, a scar vet will do the same job for cheaper.

wysematt2222
02-12-2009, 14:17
I just re-read the Blade of Realities, and I must admit that I usually shy away from huge costing magic items of doom, but jebus. I completely missed the "if tests are passed roll to wound and save as normal" bit. This item is out of control.

Staurikosaurus
02-12-2009, 17:41
You could also kit him up to kill large multi wound models

Piranha Blade, Maiming Shield, Glyph Necklace (or if you like, Bane Head for added character stomping)

6 Attacks, each doing 2 wounds each followed by 5 attacks from the carnosaur that do d3 wounds each. Add 2 more attacks once the carnosaur is frenzied. Tears through multiwound units and things such as hydras and steam tanks. With Light armour he ends up with a 2+/5+ save so is fairly survivable as well.

BugsOwn
02-12-2009, 18:20
I reckon the mirrored shields attacks won't benefit from the piranha blade double wounding ability, still good though.

I just finished building my own oldblood on carnosaur, I want to try the blade of realities because it is just so much fun!

Anyway, the reason I prefer the BOR beside it being more fun is that the 8 attack oldblood doesn't really provide anything you couldn't get with normal scar vets for much cheaper. You will end up paying 250+ pts for those 8 S5 attacks, you can get the same for 170pts with 2 scar vets.

More S5 attacks doesn't really provide anything extra to the army, you already have lots of S4 attacks from normal saurus, you can get S5 from other scar vets and S6 from kroxigors.

What the Oldblood provides is the ability to take either the BOR or the blade of revered tzunki.

The first allows you to destroy low ld monsters, characters etc or other multiwound low ld creatures like ogres.

The blade on the other hand lets you kill high armor save characters. A character with a -1 save can be tough to deal with if your army doesn't have something to combat it. Even S7 attacks (which are only found on scar vets, oldbloods or the carny) will allow a 3+ save!

I see a lot of people use the tzunki blade but as I said, the BOR is more fun so I will give this a run.

The only question is, is the BOR pointless on a carnosaur riding oldblood. Sure the blade is great against dragons, wyverns, low ld characters, you name it, but your on a carnosaur! that thing is great against these exact same things!

I can see Gaargods point of putting the BOR oldblood on a cold on rather than a carnosaur, especially since the blade costs so much that you cannot afford any decent defensive magical items and the cold one gives you a much better save than the carnosaur does.

The blade of revered tzunki might be the way to go on a carnosaur lord...

Ri-xthoal Lord of Lustira
03-12-2009, 04:03
To protect the Carnie just run a cheep screen of ranked skinks in front of him. ;)

or throw him with a unit of cold one Calvary with banner of the sun standard:D

Foegnasher
03-12-2009, 13:38
the only thing you need is oldblood, carnasaur, enchanted shield, and blade of realaties. go after the biggest thing on the field. kill it, repeat. flank ranked unit and watch them evaporate, challenge characters nd do 15+ wounds in combat. it's terrifying.

wysematt2222
03-12-2009, 13:50
While the Tzunki is pretty good, the Blade of Realities has the ability to demolish even high leadership characters. It seems like people think that just because it wont happen every combat, that it wont happen at all. Even a leadership 10 model will fail his leadership from time to time, and with five attacks the potential for failure is considerable, even on high leadership models.

Onisuzume
03-12-2009, 14:29
Even a leadership 10 model will fail his leadership from time to time
Warm-Blooded Ld10 fails 8.3% of the time on a single roll (0.7% with a re-roll), while Cold-Blooded Ld10 fails 1.9% of the time on a single roll, and only 0.1% of the time with a re-roll.

Ld 8 and Ld 9 are *much* more likely to fail. Warm-Blooded Ld9 is twice (thrice with re-roll) as likely to fail as Warm-Blooded Ld10. Warm-Blooded Ld8, however, is only 2 times (10 times with re-roll) as likely to fail.

Anything below Ld8 is fairly easy to kill with it though.

TheMav80
03-12-2009, 17:03
BoR is really nice against Grave Guard and Plaguebearer bunkers. Their Ld is not that great and it sure beats getting past armour/ward/regen saves.

Just don't go in alone so you can avoid challenges.