PDA

View Full Version : [B]Request for help from experienced WoC Players[/B]

kraken
01-12-2009, 12:41
Hey

new back on the Hammer circuit after a break of a few years, I have kept up with the rules and army books for 7th just not played much/any

part of the reason for the gap was my inability to pick a new army, I recently sold my soul to chaos with glee, and my regular gaming group is starting a 500 point mini campaign in Jan.

I was wondering if I could get some advice on building a solid 500 point force

I am quite familiar with the requirements and norms of a 2000 point + WoC army just unsure what to do at a lower points value.

Cheers,

M.

Avian
01-12-2009, 12:43
What kind of constraints do you have? Do you need to take a character?

kraken
01-12-2009, 13:14
as far as I kno it's 500 straight up would think no lords and has to contain a character to lead ,

I was thinking something like this ,but feel utterly unequipped to deem it good or not , just looks good to me in theory.

Exalted,sh,xhwep,great wep + home and bloody roar

8 chosen , shields ,halberds,champ + favour

2 x 6 warhounds

5 marauder horse ,throwing axes

so basiclly a supported unit of chosen, the hero goes in the unit to benefit from the pre game eye roll and to either blunt charges (asf great wep) or add combat res (xhwep) plus he also brings some ranged attacks with the roar ?

could not decide between great weps or halberds for the chosen and a mark seems a little expensive given the limited points ?

please feel free to rip it apart, just so long as I understand your reasoning *grin*

M.

Avian
01-12-2009, 13:34
The problem is that you need 2 Core units and that list has only 1 that counts. You could go for a cavalry force:

- Exalted of Slaanesh on steed of slaanesh with flail / halberd and shield: 149
- 2x 5 Horsemen of Slaanesh with flails and musicians: 182
- Chariot of Slaanesh: 130
- 5 Warhounds: 30
(you can give one unit of Horsemen light armour or throwing spears if you wish)

kraken
01-12-2009, 13:36
how about dropping a couple of chosen and one unit of hounds and doing another basic unit of horsemen ?

Avian
01-12-2009, 13:48
The effectiveness of that would depend on what the opposing armies are likely to be. If they can move and/or shoot effectively, a small unit of Chosen isn't likely to last very long.

kraken
01-12-2009, 13:51
ahh , I see, I figured I could screen the chosen with hounds/horse or use the hounds horse to hunt the missile troops/stuff ?

not really expecting a large amount of magic/shooting ,but who knows.....

I think I'm going to struggle with any serious static CR ?

Myztyk
01-12-2009, 14:47
ahh , I see, I figured I could screen the chosen with hounds/horse or use the hounds horse to hunt the missile troops/stuff ?

not really expecting a large amount of magic/shooting ,but who knows.....

I think I'm going to struggle with any serious static CR ?

At that points level you probably won't see *too much* massive static CR. And hey...if someone sinks all their points into two massive blocks of troops, you'll be way more mobile than him.

kraken
01-12-2009, 15:16
I guess you are right , I thought the killing power of the chosen + exalted would compensate for lack of static CR ?

Eta
01-12-2009, 16:06
Remember that your exalted hero wouldn't benefit from the pregame roll on the EoTG table, as he is not yet in the unit when you roll the effect.

Greetings
Eta

kraken
01-12-2009, 16:24
aah yes, just re-read the book, guess I'll scrap that list then....

anyone actually used a 500 pt list with any success ? if so would you mind sharing it with me ?

M.

MarcoPollo
01-12-2009, 21:38
When thinking about a 500 pt army, you should also keep an eye on a 2K army. You don't want to spend alot of money on a 500 pt army that won't suit a 2K army. So you should be looking at the 2K as the end and the 500 pts as just a stepping stone to get there.

For instance, if you want to get a 2K "shock troop" army then start out with some marauder horsemen and warhounds. Maybe a chariot, and some spawns.

If you want to go "static" get some warriors or marauders with whatever else you like.

For me, I would get 10 warhounds, 10 horsemen with flails, 2 spawns, and a character. This is an excellent and versatile start that you can tailor to fit build upon for higher points at a later date.

Perhaps something like this:
1) 2X5 warhounds 60 pts
2) 2X5 horsemen of slaanesh (la,flails,mus,) ~190 pts
3) 2 spawns ~ 110 pts
4) Exalted on horse (flail, shield) ~135 pts

with 5 points to add some throwing spears to one of the horsemen.

Cypher, the Emperor
01-12-2009, 23:46
I would take marauders as core and get some serious knight factor going.
knights are scary at 500 points.

kraken
02-12-2009, 01:08
@ Marco Polo , good advice ! I forgot my aim is to take this initial 500 point 'undivided/decided list to at least 2500, im toying with the idea of fleshing the 2500 out with god specific contingents.

I'm sure knights will cause a world of pain at 500, I'm pretty sure on of my crimbo gifts is a chaos battalion box so maybe I'll work from that.....

Rosstifer
02-12-2009, 11:06
Just remember, if you do knights, Ensorcelled Weapons. I can't stress that point enough.

stiggie
02-12-2009, 15:17
why not try using a tzeentch scorcerer instead of exhaulted??,,, flickering fire rocks and not many people will be using magic in such small points,,

also personally i wouldnt use chosen in such a small game,,

ive not worked points out but why not have,,

tzeentch scorcer lv1 is 105
5 of slaanesh horsemen with light armour are 90
11 khorne warriors with shields, Halberds, champion and banner are 241
5 hounds are 30
5 hounds are 30

that comes to 496 points?

basically,, tzeentch scorcerer gets flickering fire spell,, hangs in the unit of khorne warriors (6 wide formation) they have the marauders on a flank to either countercharge or protect and the hounts to protect and re-direct enemy units,,

and the khorne guys, pretty much do what they always do? 16 strength 5 attacks in combat at ws5 much?

MarcoPollo
02-12-2009, 16:27
That is not a bad suggestion about the sorceror. You should be able to outclass your opponents in the magic phase, but only very slightly. Remember that your opponent gets two dice for free and you can only use two dice as a level 1.

But do you want an army that just sits around casting maybe casting 1 spell a turn. Doesn't sound very engaging to me.

But to the idea of thinking ahead. Exalteds do become redundant at higher point cost. You will already have enough killy stuff by then.