PDA

View Full Version : 500 pts Vampire Counts, Warband rules

MrManson
01-12-2009, 14:05
Hi everyone!

Me and two of my friends are thinking about getting back into Warhammer (after a hiatus of about 10 years). Our intent is to start small, since neither of us actually have any spare time, but since when have that stopped a hobbyist? My friends are looking at a Knight-heavy Bretonnien army (14 Knight of the Realm and a Paladin) and a Warriors of Chaos force (inspired by the Conan-movie, with lots of Marauders backed up by a core of Warriors or Chosen). I'm thinking of a Vampire Counts-army, themed around a Varghulf-infested graveyard. We will be using the Warband-rules (but have allowed slightly above 500 pts), so I'm a bit worried that a Varghulf might be too much/too hard, but you can probably tell me if that is the case. The armies I'm thinking of is either:

Varghulf = 175 pts
10 Ghouls = 80 pts
20 Zombies + Standard Bearer = 88 pts
Necromancer + Black Periapt = 70 pts
= 501 pts

Varghulf = 175 pts
10 Ghouls = 80 pts
10 Ghouls + Crypt Ghast = 88 pts
= 501 pts

Varghulf = 175 pts
10 Ghouls = 80 pts
= 501 pts

So, tell me your thoughts, and which one you think would be the most fun playing with and against. I'd really like to stick to the theme of the army (I'm imagining converting the Necromancer to sort of look like the graveyards groundskeeper). I'm grateful for any replies!
/MrManson

hwd
01-12-2009, 14:14
Zombies are really rather useless so if I were you I would take the second list but change it for two units of 15 ghoul for that bit more staying power.

As you don't have a Vampire (and thus access to Vampire powers) your units are limited to the size you start them at and 10 is a bit small. If you are up against knights or chaos warriors you will struggle to get to a second round of combat with a unit of 10...

The varghulf is a big points sink but it is quite good... Use it to support charge rather than running off on its own. By keeping it close to your lines the ghouls will be able to march also, which is always handy...
Also the Varghulf fits the theme well as, as far as I can tell, they are just a bad ass Strgoi vampire, who hang about in graves and have wee kingdoms of ghouls...

MrManson
02-12-2009, 15:32
Zombies are really rather useless so if I were you I would take the second list but change it for two units of 15 ghoul for that bit more staying power.

As you don't have a Vampire (and thus access to Vampire powers) your units are limited to the size you start them at and 10 is a bit small. If you are up against knights or chaos warriors you will struggle to get to a second round of combat with a unit of 10...

The varghulf is a big points sink but it is quite good... Use it to support charge rather than running off on its own. By keeping it close to your lines the ghouls will be able to march also, which is always handy...
Also the Varghulf fits the theme well as, as far as I can tell, they are just a bad ass Strgoi vampire, who hang about in graves and have wee kingdoms of ghouls...

Thanks, some great tips in there! I've changed the army around a bit, tell me what you think of this new version, implementing some of hwd's suggestions:

Varghulf = 175 pts
15 Ghouls = 80 pts
15 Ghouls = 80 pts
Necromancer + Black Periapt, Extra Spell (Raise Dead) = 85 pts
= 500 pts

If I've understood everything correctly, this means my Necromancer could raise new regiments of zombies if I really need them (and increase their size with Invocation of Nehek), as well as heal the Ghoul units and the Varghulf, again by using IoN. With 4 power dice (one of them from Black Periapt), at least something should get cast each turn, right? Would it be better to spam four one-die 4+ IoN or go for two two-dice-ones, risking a miscast but making them go off more easily and be a lot harder to dispel?

As always, grateful for any reply
/MrManson

hwd
02-12-2009, 18:53
No worries man, always happy to give advice where I can!
On the two dice / one dice matter I would say it depends on the situation and how much you 'need' the unit, if it is critical throw 2 dice, sure you can miscast but if you don't chances are it will be harder for your oppoent to dispel.