PDA

View Full Version : Tarian's Skaven Battle Report Thread

Tarian
01-12-2009, 18:46
Well, I've been playing for a while, and finally decided to do battle reports with my new army, Skaven! I got a few 6th edition games in with them, but was mostly focused on my High Elves. With their sabbatical to get painted and repaired, the Skaven now step up to fill the gap...

I use the same list pretty much no matter what, so here it is:

Skaven 2250:

Grey Seer Skurvius
- Dispel Scroll
- Skalm
- Screaming Bell

Warlock Engineer Squeekitch the Burnt
- Level 2
- Warp Energy Condenser
- Dispel Scroll

Warlock Engineer Gnatters
- Level 2
- Death Rocket

Plague Priest Poxin
- Level 2
- Warp Scroll

Stormvermin x30
- Standard
- Storm Banner
- Champion
- Shields
- Warp Fire Thrower

Clanrats x25
- Standard
- Musician
- Champion
- Shields
- Poisoned Wind Mortar

Clanrats x25
- Standard
- Musician
- Champion
- Shields
- Poisoned Wind Mortar

Slaves x25

Slaves x25

Slaves x25

Jezzail Weapon Team x3

Gutter Runners x5
- Poisoned Attacks

Doomwheel

Warp Lightning Cannon

Total: 2250
PD: 12
DD: 7
Model Count: 172

List Building Thoughts: That's a solid amount of magic. Ring of Hotek worries me a little, but hey, it's Skaven. What's and exploding rat here and there? What worries me more is the lack of solid CC potential. The best thing I have is Stormvermin, and after playing High Elves for so long... That said, the list should be able to soften things up before they reach combat. I'd probably be better served dropping the Screaming Bell and adding in some Plague Monks and PCBs, but I do like the way the Bell looks. If it proves to be worthless, I probably will, but I'll push it around for a while. (It's currently joining the Stormvermin.)

I know, I know, no HPA, but I do like the Doomwheel, and I've always liked the WLC. If the WLC proves to be too unreliable, I may drop it, though I do like the concept behind it.

Poxin is there to give me more Plague spells, though I may drop him for an Assassin due to thematic reasoning. His scroll will probably be used to either bait out a dispel scroll, or try to slip out after the dispel scrolls have been used.

Fluff: The Tale of Grey Seer Skurvius

Skurvius has always been a little reckless, even for a Skaven. His complete lack of restraint has almost seen him killed quite a few times, but he usually manages to get away just in the nick of time. Recently, while demanding concessions from the Warlord Clan Ankels, he was demonstrating his power to intimidate the Warlord when he catastrophically lost control of the winds of magic. (Obviously due to sabotage!) The resulting blast killed most of those present, leaving Skurvius alone amidst a burning wreckage. With the demise of the Warlord and most of his chieftains, Skurvius assumed command of the clan (after a few well placed spells near or at his closest rivals.)

He maintains close relations with Clan Skyre, mostly through his contact Squeekitch. Warlock Engineer Squeekitch tends to push things just a little too far, with the end result usually being fire or explosions, but usually both (hence his title.) His original fur color is completely unknown, as it is now buried behind layers of soot and ash.

As a concession to Clan Pestilens, he allows Poxin to command a portion of his new Clan. Though Poxin and the Warlock Engineers do not get along well at all, Skurvius keeps them in line through reminding them that they're working for the Council (Along with judicious use of "near-misses" and other "accidents" to remind them of his oh-so-great and supreme power.)

He was sent on a mission by the Council, unfortunately, when the scurrier arrived, he was half dead and his message was badly distorted. Of course, it was not his fault that he had ordered anyone unknown to get blasted before they could reach his stronghold... he must have been betrayed by his rivals.

Now, all he knows is that he must find... something, preferably shiny. Additionally, the Council doesn't want him to report back without succeeding. He's now stuck in the unenviable position of not knowing what he needs, while not being able to ask (or more likely send someone to ask).

He now combs across the old world, from the jungles Lustria to the fortresses of the Chaos Dwarves to the far shores of frigid Naggaroth, searching for and collecting various shiny baubles while leading his newly renamed clan, Clan Chitter Squeak.

Battle Report Summary:
1/0/0

Battle 1: Against the Green Horde (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4187567&postcount=19)

SevenSins
01-12-2009, 19:19
will be fun to see how skaven-magicking holds up with the new codex 12PD should get something going right?
amusing bacground aswell, looking forward to the reports

Tarian
01-12-2009, 19:32
Thanks, I hope my magic phase works out! That said, I'm predicting a lot of "XXX miscasts and blows himself up."

Foegnasher
01-12-2009, 19:35
it is magic heavy, to be sure. not a lot of protection on any of the wizards ethier. well. good luck mate, I myself have never liked haveing to rely solely on the dice to win it for me. lookibng forward to the reports. cracks call and wither FTW!

Tarian
01-12-2009, 19:39
Heh... I figure a wall of furry bodies will protect my mages somewhat. The Grey Seer does get a 4+ Ward from the bell, along with Skalm to hopefully keep him ticking until he manages to blow himself up a few times. Trying to decide if I want Skurvius to take 4 Plague or 2 and 2 for his spell...

Malorian
01-12-2009, 19:42
Looks like a fun list to me. Hope it goes well :)

Tarian
01-12-2009, 19:50
Well Malorian, you have your VC thread to blame for this one. As for fun, that's what I want it to be. Exploding rats always make me grin.

Awilla the Hun
01-12-2009, 19:50
Comrade von Stahl is now looking upon the Under-Imperialist Capitalist Techno-Mago-Plagueocrats with intense interest, and will be watching them, their methods of encouraging the troops, and their weapons, with great interest.

Tarian
01-12-2009, 19:51
Encouragement? Set them on fire. Weapons? Shove some warpstone in it, potentially set on fire. Fire *always* makes it better. (Well, that and Warpstone)

Foegnasher
01-12-2009, 19:58
Encouragement? Set them on fire. Weapons? Shove some warpstone in it, potentially set on fire. Fire *always* makes it better. (Well, that and Warpstone)

well that answeres that question. what's better than warpstone? PCB: Warpstone, ON FIRE.

andyg2006
01-12-2009, 20:17
Only one thing better than PCB's = Plague Furnace: huge wrecking ball full of warpstone...on fire...with added Plague Priests' skins for extra nastiness!
Looks like a nice list - can't wait to see how it works out.

selone
01-12-2009, 21:30
Looking forwards to the reps :)

EviIPaladin
02-12-2009, 19:01
Hmm... Grey Seer Skurvius, you say-say? Maybe he could be a potential ally, yes-yes?

*ahem*

Good luck running the rats. Also, I'll be watching for this in the future:

Warpstone-drenched-set-on-fire-exploding Slaves. :D

-Evii

Seabo
02-12-2009, 19:13
172 figs....
Holy jeebus that's scary. Skaven are definitely the Horde kings atm...:p
Hurry up and fight something already!!:D

Malorian
02-12-2009, 20:16
172 figs....
Holy jeebus that's scary. Skaven are definitely the Horde kings atm...:p
Hurry up and fight something already!!:D

I just counted up my typical orc list and I run with 172 figs too (warmachine and crew counting as just 1).

Something is telling me fate wants Tarian and I to have a game :D

You visiting Canada any time soon Tarian? ;):p

Ultimate Life Form
02-12-2009, 20:21
Hmm... Grey Seer Skurvius, you say-say? Maybe he could be a potential ally, yes-yes?

Watch out, he's gonna stab your back at the first opportunity, I know it!

I, on the other hand, am completely trustworthy... really!:D

Awilla the Hun
02-12-2009, 20:41
Excellent. The Commissariat For Public Safety's plans to divide the Skaven Under-Imperialists are successful. Signal the attack, comrades!

EDIT: My Red Guards, (2000 pts) counting the Trebuchet crew as one person, have about 146 men.

Tarian
02-12-2009, 22:47
Heh...

172 models... kinda intimidating for me since my usual HE 2250 has about 60... As for going up to Canada, visiting Colorado any time soon Malorian? :D

Grey Seer Skurvius? Backstab?! Of course not! As a sanctioned agent of the Council, he would never stoop to getting his own paws dirty in schemes like that. (Hiring an Eshin Assassin, on the other paw, is a completely reasonable thing to do. It's almost expected!)

And thanks for the replies guys, I should get a game in this Fri., I'll try to have the report up either that night or Sat.

*Excited for first 7th ed. Skaven game.* Doomwheel! (Might be going against a frog and a few steggies... perhaps some Dwarves.)

Tarian
05-12-2009, 03:21
Grey Seer Skurvius twitched his whiskers. Furtively looking around, he held the shiny bauble between his paws. Twisting it and poking at it, one of his Stormvermin had brought it to him, and he was inspecting it to see if it was of any worth... or whether or not he should turn it into the Council.
"Oh great-great exalted one!" Squeekitch nosed in towards Skurvius, making the Grey Seer jump back a few steps.
"What-what is it?" He demanded imperiously, attempting to mask the musk of fear.
"Green-things are approaching, oh most eminent one."
Sighing with exasperation, Skurvius threw the bauble behind him and scurried towards the towering bell near the middle of the Skaven formation. "Quick-quick, prepare to engage the green-things in battle. The Great Horned One is watching over us!"
While the Stormvermin around him raised their halberds in a mighty roar, the Fangleader hoped that the Grey Seer had returned the part from the Warp Lightning Cannon that he had given to Skurvius for inspection...

Pregame Thoughts: Well, this would be the first game for my 7th Ed. Skaven. There were quite a few greenskins on his side of the board, so I couldn't rely on numbers too much. With no warmachines on his side though, I expected my Doomwheel and Screaming Bell to survive the fight...

His list (Approximately)

Black Orc Boss (In the BO)
-Had 6 S6 Attacks
BSB
-Banner of Butchery (In the BO)
Orc Shaman (In the Big'Uns)
-Had a +2 on casting rolls
Goblin Shaman (In the central NG)
-Had 2 Dispel Scrolls
10 Arrer Boys
25 Regular Orc Boys
25 Orc Big'Uns
2x 20 Night Goblins (2x Fanatics each)
30 Black Orcs
2 Boar Chariots
2 Giants

Deployment went:
Giant - Goblins - Orcs - Chariot - Big Orcs - Giant - Black Orcs - Goblins - Chariot
Doomwheel - Slaves - Clanrats - Slaves - Stormvermin - Clanrats - Slaves- Jezzails - Warp Lightning Cannon

He won first turn.

Turn 1:
The orcs surged forwards towards the teeming Skaven horde. The goblins holding the far flank on the left started squabbling over some dispute, though Skurvius couldn't see what they were arguing about. Even the Arrer Boyz ran, preventing them from shooting. Feeling a stirring in the Winds of Magic, the Orcs and Goblins attempted to summon the might of Gork, but Skurvius easily countered their power (with a little help from the Engineers and Priest, though he'd never admit it.)

Skurvius ordered the Slaves up to absorb the initial rush of greenskins, hopefully able to buy enough time for his horde to continue wearing them down with magic and shooting. Meanwhile, the Doomwheel rolled up towards the waiting giant, attempting to stay out of its way while still blasting it with bolts of pure warp energy. Skurvius led the spellcasting, his own efforts thwarted by the green-things, but he noticed with frustration that Squeekitch launched a bolt of twisting warp energy, frying several orcs. Natters did the same on the other side, but was targeting the giant instead. Poxin tried to summon a mighty plague, but his efforts were met with frustration as the power drained away. With a thrum, the Warp Lightning Cannon powered up, ready to send a bolt hurtling through the Black Orcs. Suddenly, with a critical piece missing, the Cannon's energy backfired, shattering the sturdy frame, and twisting Skurvius' head towards the deafening noise. Betrayal! Someone had sabotaged his Warp Lightning Cannon. Outraged, he saw one of the Poisoned Wind Mortars lob their shot at a group of slaves, obviously avenging some real or imaginary insult. The remaining mortar saw a few Big'Uns fall over choking out their last moments, which assuaged his feelings somewhat. The Doomwheel itself sent small bursts of lightning towards the giant, but only managed to do minor wounds. With a careful shot, one of the Jezzails managed to wound the Orc Chariot in front of it, but the other two wasted their shots wildly.

Turn 2:
With a furious roar, the Big'Uns ran towards the waiting rats with a burst of incredible speed. The goblins threw a couple of crazed fanatics towards the forwards slaves. The rest of their line advanced too, with the Orcs unable to summon magical energy again as Skurvius gnawed his teeth as he focused on dispelling it. He saw a wave of ghostly green fists beginning to descend on Poxin and his Clanrats, then they suddenly disappeared as Squeekitch finished reading off his dispel scroll. A small hail of arrows killed a Stormvermin, much to Skurvius' dismay. That was one less body to protect him!

Skurvius ordered the Slaves to suppress the fanatics however they could, including throwing themselves at it until they got tired. Once both fanatics were down, the Slaves started looking shaky, but a scowling glare from Skurvius saw them hold their formation. The Doomwheel slid out behind the Giant, but not before a couple more of the crazed goblin slammed into it. As they hit the forest behind it, they tangled themselves up and died, but not before seriously rattling the Doomwheel, splintering off large chunks of wood. Natters scurried out of his unit, and started setting up his deathrocket. Again the Skaven magical effort met with mixed success, with Poxin again failing to Plague the Big'Uns, but a combination of Warplightning and Vermintide saw the end of the giant in the middle. The Doomwheel flashed out a powerful bolt, finishing off the giant and electrocuting a goblin too. Both Mortars managed to kill a few orcs, and the Jezzails wounded the chariot again. Natters fired off his rocket, landing it close to the Black Orcs and causing a few casualties.

Turn 3: A howling wind broke across the battlefield as the Stormbanner activated. With a roaring crash, the chariot shattered the Jezzails, killing all of them with the thunderous impact. The goblins charged the sadly depleted slave block in the middle while the rest of the O&G force advanced, eager to come to grips with their cowardly foes. This time, Skurvius was unable (or perhaps unwilling!) to save the unit of slaves on the left flank from a pummelling from Gork, and the cowards broke and ran. Unable to deal with the mighty winds, the Arrer Boyz advanced to support the chariot. Defeating the slaves easily, the goblins overran into Skurvius and his Stormvermin.

Just now remembering that they were supposed to be here, the Gutter Runners show up near the Arrer Boyz. Natters ran back to his unit, his dangerous work one. (And unwilling to risk his own neck any further!) With a chariot loose in their backfield, Skurvius ordered the slaves on that side to chase after it while the Doomwheel crashed into the side of the goblin unit that had used its fanatics on it. Magic saw a few more Orcs fried, while Poxin again couldn't manage to cast his Plague. The Warpfire Thrower misjudged the distance to the Big'Uns, falling just short while the mortars managed to pick a few more off. The goblins managed to pull down a Stormvermin, but are then crushed and run down by the angry rats and their seer.

Turn 4:
Both the Black Orcs and the Big'Uns charge the Screaming Bell while the chariot slams into Poxin's unit. With a mighty cry, the Arrer Boyz surge forwards then engage the unfortunate slaves from behind. With their magic stunted with the death of the goblin shaman, the Orcs fail to cast any more magic. Telling them to use their Halberds, the Stormvermin brace as the orcs slam into them, killing a great many with the aid of their banner fueling their bloodlust. The mighty rat ogre powering the bell, along with the Fangleader, manage to kill some in retaliation, but their absolute belief in the Horned One sees them stay in the fight. Squeekitch, however, is gravely injured by the Warboss, and is sent flying. The slaves are slaughtered by the Orcs, and failed to kill any in retaliation. Fools and incompetent cowards! All of them! Poxin sees the chariot off, but fails to catch it.

Now engaged, Skurvius orders the Doomwheel to prepare to charge while Natter's Clanrats and the Gutter Runners move to engage the Arrer Boyz. Poxin gripped by a mad frenzy pulls the clanrats with him as he charges the Orc Boys in front of him. A discordant ring causes several Stormvermin to collapse, while Skurvius summons a horde of rats to pull down some of the Black Orcs. The closest mortar explodes in a brilliant cloud, collapsing a clanrat next to it. Betrayed again! Again, the Warpfire Thrower falls short of the Orcs... Incompetents! All of them! That's the last thought that Skurvius as for a while, as a large and rather mean looking Orc bowls him off the bell. Again the Stormvermin manage to deal damage, but take losses. Poxin loses combat, but keeps the Clanrats in line with a few vicious threats of what would happen to anyone who ran.

Turn 5: The chariot rallies, and turns to face the Doomwheel next to it, while the other chariot zips along the back towards the vulnerable weapon teams. With everything else engaged in combat, a great deal of Stormvermin are killed again, but not without some retaliation. The Orc Warboss turns his attention towards the Screaming Bell itself, frustrated by its powerful symbols. However, with the blessing of the Horned Rat upon it, all of the orcs fail to bypass its protective save. Poxin crushes the Orc champion in single combat, while his Clanrats manage to not die, allowing them to run down the unit.

Charging the Chariot, the Doomwheel wipes it out with a mighty hit, while both Natters and the Gutter Runners charge the Arrer Boyz. Poxin finally summons his mightly Plague, dealing massive damage to both the Big'Uns and Black Orcs, but also killing a few Stormvermin. Finally, the Warpfire Thrower "smokes" the chariot coming towards it, its only hit of the battle. As if in vengeance for being forgotten for a turn, the Gutter Runners kill an amazing 7 Arrer Boys, and Natters sees the rest off. More Stormvermin are killed, as are more orcs.

Turn 6: With only 2 units remaining, the Orcs again try to finish off the Bell, and the Big'Uns kill more Stormvermin, but not before the Stormvermin can kill a few more orcs. Again the Bell's protective warding see it escape from harm.

The Doomwheel and Poxin's Clanrats swarm into the rear of the Orc's formation, shattering them with a mighty blow. Again the bell rings, granting renewed vigor, but its discordant tone killing even more of the sorely battered Stormvermin. The Doomwheel and Poxin's unit change the tide of battle, wiping the rest of the Orcs out as they cut them down as they flee. The Fangleader leans against the Screaming Bell's frame, worn out from the battle. He's surrounded by carnage, the last remaining Stormvermin out of his entire unit.

I lost: 2 units of Slaves, all but 1 Stormvermin, my WLC, Squeekitch, Skurvius, the Jezzails, 3 wounds on the Doomwheel and a Mortar while wiping out his entire army.

Result: Massacre for the Skaven!
(1/0/0)

Post Game Thoughts: Wow... that Warboss caught my by surprise, doing obscene amounts of damage to my poor vermin. I need to remember that this is a horde army, and "elite" is something they're not aware of. The misfires were pretty bad to start with, destroying by WLC before it could even fire a shot! Eventually, though, the mortars started firing well, which helped thin the ranks quite a bit. I really like the Doomwheel, and the Deathrocket is a great weapon, so powerful, so random, so Skaveny!

Post Game Fluff:

Skurvius blinked his eyes slowly. His entire head throbbed. The last thing he could remember was a massive green fist launching him from his perch on top of the bell. Surveying the carnage around him, he noticed that there were more Skaven bodies than Green-things, but the ratio seemed to mean a Skaven victory. He saw Squeekitch hobbling towards the encampment, and decided to have a few choice words with him about the quality of the machinery... Again he looked over the killing fields. With a small grin, he knew that there were plenty of Skaven to refill his ranks, and at least Clan Chitter Squeak could feast well tonight.

Ultimate Life Form
05-12-2009, 11:16
Nice Rep Tarian, and a good read. Orcs vs Skaven is a tough one for me, as I like both factions very much...

First, I had doubts as all your nifty contraptions shattered and the Orcs seemed mainly unscathed, but the rats managed to give them a thorough beating after all. Very good!

Whoah, your Screaming Bell did some serious backfire, huh? Maybe I'll reconsider buying one...

Tarian
05-12-2009, 16:38
Oh yeah, I think the Screaming Bell did more damage to me than the Orcs... that Unbreakable is really nice though, despite losing 29/30 Stormvermin and having Black Orcs in the front and Big'Uns on the side, the Bell just sat there until I mopped up the rest of his army.

Seabo
05-12-2009, 18:31
Well great way to start the batrep blog:p
Grats on the win. I definitely do not want to face something like that...
Not before February at least:D

Tarian
05-12-2009, 18:48
Thanks Seabo, hope your book turns out to be good too, would be nice to face off with Beasts again sometime.

selone
06-12-2009, 01:17
Congrats on the big win, I actually think skaven versus orcs is a good game and it seems you had a good game. For an orc army that army was fairly elite (2 giants, huge unit of big uns and black orcs)

Tarian
06-12-2009, 01:22
Thanks, it was indeed a good game. I'm *really* not used to Orcs being more "elite" than my army... pin that down to years of High Elves...

SevenSins
06-12-2009, 10:55
Nice start and amusing fluff (not that skaven are all that fluffy, maybe we should call it mange instead..)
Horde vs horde is always fun

Awilla the Hun
06-12-2009, 17:46
Ah. It seems that the Under-Imperialists are proving too successful. Their fluff is amusing, and their tactics excellent (and even akin to the Red Guards in style, although of course, to quote the Commissariat for Public Safety, "vastly inferior" and "unfair on our Red Guards".) They must be... eliminated.

Lord of Nonsensical Crap
06-12-2009, 18:13
Great reports so far, Tarian. You have props from me for actually using Stormvermin, and for not taking an Abomination.

EviIPaladin
07-12-2009, 17:58
Hmm... Lord Skraith is intrigued by your great-great success... Perhaps Clan Wraneklaw won't have to kill-kill Grey Seer Skurvius... Perhaps...

Seriously though, good game. You both took your "elite" choices... :p

-Evii

Zoolander
07-12-2009, 20:11
This was a great read! Very interesting and entertaining. Go little rat things, go!

Tarian
07-12-2009, 20:45
Heh... thanks for reading guys. I need to get used to the fact that Stormvermin are the "elites" (Though still 1 point less than my spear elves per model... :wtf:) Hopefully, I'm getting a game in this weekend against Skarsnik and his Night Goblins. (At least I have Slaves to deal with Fanatics!)

Kriptrikk
09-12-2009, 12:57
Hey Tarian, nice reeport so far. Liking the intermingled fluff!

How are you finding the exploding slaves so far. Ive had em go in one game where two units broke from combat with dwarfs, they killed two dwarfs, 4 stormvermin, 3 clanrats and took a wound from my Abomination, Doh!

Kriptrikk

Ultimate Life Form
09-12-2009, 13:03
Here's your answer. The Slaves are the new elite.

Tarian
09-12-2009, 16:33
Eh... they've killed 1 Orc so far, not terribly impressed with the exploding. I do like the fact that they get out of my way once they're done doing their duty.

Malorian
09-12-2009, 19:50
To me the exploding seem more of a negative as they might catch and kill off your own weapon teams...

Tarian
09-12-2009, 20:41
My weapon teams tend to hang pretty far back, so hasn't been a problem so far, though I can definitely see the risk of that happening.

Seabo
09-12-2009, 21:25
Exploding slaves....gotta love it :D

Foegnasher
10-12-2009, 23:07
in 4 games mine have killed... 1 brettonian. that i can think of...

OldMan
12-12-2009, 12:12
Great raport. Looking forward for more

BTW. 172 models is not so hordy. I will have 225 + toys in my army. ( once it will be finished :( )

Covalent
12-12-2009, 15:30
Nice Rep Tarian, and a good read. Orcs vs Skaven is a tough one for me, as I like both factions very much...

First, I had doubts as all your nifty contraptions shattered and the Orcs seemed mainly unscathed, but the rats managed to give them a thorough beating after all. Very good!

Whoah, your Screaming Bell did some serious backfire, huh? Maybe I'll reconsider buying one...

Tss, it doesn't backfire that much, he was really more unlucky than anything. Most of games, I always get the 9-10 and 13 results, with 1 double. So, he really was only unlucky this time, as in another battle, he may wipe a whole unit with it not backfiring at all ;)

Kriptrikk
14-12-2009, 13:01
Hah better news on the slaves! Had another game with three units of 20 yesterday and they all blew in the same combat and took 4 dwarf warriors, 3 iron breakers and 5 of leopolds leapord company, as well as 4 quarrelers that werent even involved in the combat!

Just gotta make sure you keep em pushed well ahead of your lines so they dont hit you and they can pull some serious wonders. One of my new favourite units lol!

Kriptrikk

Foegnasher
15-12-2009, 02:53
for some awesome slave on demon action (eww!) check my .sig.

Devil-Dice
15-12-2009, 09:26
Nice reports Tarian, looking forward to hearing more. Hopefullly without the homicidal bell tom-foolery!

Kriptrikk
15-12-2009, 09:29
Smooth stuff foegnasher, you must be capturing a hardier breed of slaves than I. So far the best mine have done (without the slave-splosion) is take out a dwarf before they were annihilated!

Kriptrikk

Awilla the Hun
16-12-2009, 20:17
Hah better news on the slaves! Had another game with three units of 20 yesterday and they all blew in the same combat and took 4 dwarf warriors, 3 iron breakers and 5 of leopolds leapord company, as well as 4 quarrelers that werent even involved in the combat!

I think that the fact that someone uses Leopold's Leapord (how do you spell it?) Company is significantly better news than the incredible destructive power of your slaves. Which is still good news for Skaven fans, I hasten to add. Just not for someone who may soon have to face the enslaved proletariat of the Under-Imperialists...

Tarian
16-12-2009, 20:46
Gah... haven't been able to get a game in recently. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some in with the new year, preferably sooner, but we'll see I guess...

Malorian
16-12-2009, 20:47
Gah... haven't been able to get a game in recently. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some in with the new year, preferably sooner, but we'll see I guess...

No worries. It's a busy time of year.

Plus in the new year we can see what new toys you got for christmas ;)

Dungeon_Lawyer
17-12-2009, 07:02
exploiding slaves--so manycool new toys for that rats-man Im looking forward to facing skaven again one of these days-whenever that is....

Tarian
09-01-2010, 07:15
The Tail of Grey Seer Skurvius: Battle 2

Game vs. the Wood Elf Treemonic Legion, but first, a message from the sponsors.

Well, I switched out my list a little bit, too much time tinkering with my list and not enough time playing does that to people. I dropped 3 Storm Vermin, poison on the Gutter Runners, and my Jezzails. In return, I got a unit of 5 Plague Censer Bearers with a Champion and Poxin got a Plague Censer. Based on the game I played, I think they're definitely worth it... now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Grey Seer Skurvius eyed the trees suspiciously, suspecting that they were following him. Not just the trees, but a few stray rocks and a half eaten pumpkin found by the roadside. Squinting at them from on top of his bell, he nearly fell off when Squeekitch started frantically gesticulating towards the forest. "Oh most supreme one, the tree-things are coming-coming! We must-must get ready-ready!" Mustering his wits, he noted with suspicion that his Jezzail team had mysteriously disappeared, and a small group of crazed Plague Censer Bearers was gathering around Poxin... his whiskers twitched with suspicion...

Pregame Thoughts: Treemonic Legion? Just what I needed... Terror Tests... at least I could ignore his Ward Saves with most of my heavy hitters, as they are all Warpstone Weapons. His list looked fast though, which would hurt my ranged attacks.

Opponent's List (Approximately)
2! Tree men
Level 4 Wizard who could reroll failed dispel rolls
2 Level 2 Mages with 2 scrolls each
Branch Wraith with a scroll
3 Blocks of 15ish Dryads
15ish Wardancers
2 blocks of 7ish Wild Riders

Deployment:
Wardancers - Dryads - Treeman - Dryads - Treeman - Dryads - Wild Riders - Wild Riders
Clanrats - Slaves -WLC - PCBs -Stormvermin - Slaves - Clanrats - Slaves Doomwheel

Note: I completely forgot that I paid for Gutter Runners! The cowards never showed up to the battle! (Mostly because I forgot I had them.)

Opponent got first turn.

Turn 1:
Skurvius watched with twitching whiskers as the trees surged forwards with a smattering of elves in there. A few spells were cast, but nothing serious, though the Treeman on the left received the Wolf Hunts and surged forwards a little bit.

The Skaven line shuffled a little bit, and the Wood Elves easily dispelled the Skaven magic due to a lot of dice, rerolls, and scrolls. The WLC fired a puny S2 blast at the Treeman closest to it, hitting the tree directly but causing no damage, while the Poisoned Wind Mortars both hit Dryads but failed to kill any. Finally, the Warp Fire Thrower rolled poorly, and undershot the Treeman on the left. Nothing had died yet!!! However, the Doomwheel managed to fry 3 slaves from the unit next to it.

Turn 2:
Suddenly, I realize I made a mistake, as the Wild Riders charge the Doomwheel, and the Treemen and Dryads charged the slave units in front of them. Again, magic is inconsequential. In close combat, the slaves are predictably destroyed, and they fail to pull down anyone with them. Though the Tree overruns into the WLC and the others advance forwards. (Worthless curs!) The Doomwheel fights well, and grinds down 2 Wild Riders, but with an Outnumber, Banner and Warbanner (along with a wound) the Doomwheel flees off the board. (Betrayed again!)

Skurvius orders his bell forwards to threaten the right flank, as Poxin and the PCBs (They sound like a band...) frenzy charge into the Dryads in front of them. The Clanrats on the right charged the Tree on that side, while the other Clanrats charge the Wardancers on the left. Shooting is again lacklustre, and magic is shut down pretty hard again. The bell manages to let the rats reroll LD tests at the cost of 2 Stormvermin. In combat, the Clanrats kill the Wardancers, since an earlier magic phase softened them up and they rolled poorly, overrunning an impressive 11". Poxin and the PCBs easily mop up the Dryads, though they lose one of their own to bad gas. The clanrats on the right beat the tree through SCR, and the tree failed its Ld test, but wasn't caught, though it stranded them between two Dryad units. The tree mops up the WLC and overruns again into the WFT.

Turn 3:
The tree rallies easily, and the Dryads charge both sides of the Clanrats, and the wild riders charge the PWM on the right. Magic Phase is shut down, and in combat the Clanrats horribly beaten down, but manage to escape with enough strength to rally. The WFT and PWM are crushed, though the Tree decided to not run off the board and to instead face the PCBs and Poxin.

Skurvius charges his bell into the closest unit of Dryads smashing them, and Squeekitch rallies his clanrats. Gnatters wheels his Clanrats to head back towards the battle, while Poxin and the PCBs frenzy charged the tree on that side, and Poxin managed to give the PCBs poisoned attacks. They did an impressive 6 wounds to it, killing it in one round. With the death of a couple Wood Elf mages, Squeekitch and Gnatters fry several Dryads, though the Wood Elf dispelling is saved for Skurvius.

Turn 4: One unit of Wild Riders charges Poxin and the PCBs, while the other charges the side of the Stormvermin while the Tree charges their front and the remaining Dryads join the Wild Riders on the side. Poxin is slain as the Wild Riders exact their revenge and direct all their attacks against Poxin. The PCBs avenge their leader by wiping out the Wild Riders and running towards the melee in the middle. The Stormvermin take a horrific pounding, but due to the bell, they hold.

Gnatters and Squeekitch hunt down the Wood Elf Mage lord, and a couple well aimed Warp Lightning blasts see her demise. The PCBs frenzy charge the flank of the Wild Riders, again inflicting horrendous damage. With their help, the Storm Vermin manage to win combat and chase down their foes, though Skurvius takes a tree to the face and falls off his bell... again.

Result: Massacre for the Skaven!
(2/0/0)

Post game thoughts: Well, that could have went better... currently Skurvius is 0/2 on surviving games. As thought, my ranged didn't do much to the Wood Elves, as they are so fast. Nevertheless, the PCBs showed their worth, having 2 units of Dryads, 1.5 Treemen, and 2 units of Wild Riders on their kill count. That's some impressive notches on their Censers. I think I still need to learn how to play a horde army properly... practice, practice, practice!

Post Game Fluff:
Skurvius blinked his eyes slowly. His entire head throbbed. The last thing he could remember was a massive wooden fist launching him from his perch on top of the bell. He sighed with disappointment. Not only was his head throbbing again, Poxin gaining great-great respect with his impressive kill tally, and his Skyre "allies" again having their machines explode or flee, but Trees don't even make for particularly good eating. Well, that's what slaves are for.

SevenSins
09-01-2010, 09:23
Ladies and gentlemen we present the relatively new jazz band... Poxin and the PCBs!

they sure played their music though, neat game even though some early mistakes cost you (like the doomwheel)

Tarian
09-01-2010, 20:31
Yeah... I really need to learn how to use my units properly... bad things happen, though it is, of course, not my fault.

SevenSins
09-01-2010, 21:05
definetly not Skurvius fault, you mean. He is beset on all sides by incompetents and traitors, even a genius of his stature will suffer setbacks when this is the case! A culling is needed!

Ultimate Life Form
09-01-2010, 21:58
Wow, Poxin and the PCBs sound very nasty, I think I'll rip off that approach for my Pestilens army and give them a cool name as well, though not necessarily a literal translation ('Poxin and the SS' would be waaaaay uncool for a German army :rolleyes:)

Tarian
20-05-2011, 23:35
Skurvius blinked his eyes, yawning. That was a good nap... looking at the calender on the wall, it was... wha? He'd been sleeping for *how* long? Jumping up furiously, he looked at the Farsqueaker set against the wall, number of messages: No Chance. What? It can do that? Scrambling out of his nest, he quickly grabbed his staff leaning against the wall, dusting it off and shaking the spiders and other things off of it before dashing out of his burrow, dodging the bodies of messengers... or assassins? who set off the traps to his lair.

"Quick-quick! You! Tell me what's going on!" He pointed at the Skaven he recognized as the leader of his Stormvermin regiment.

Warlord Chitter looked over in surprise. "Oh great eminent one, we uh..." He looked around at the clan gathering around him, and conveniently, placing themselves away from him, just in case... "We were preparing for your return from your great-great meditation, yes-yes! See? The clan is gathering now-now!" He sagged with relief as Skurvius dashed off, seeing another familiar figure.

"Squeekitch! There you are, where-where is Gnatters, or Poxin for that matter?" Squeekitch jumped, dropping a tube he was holding, which sat on the ground and fizzled. "Oh, uh... most eminent one, they are gone-gone, yes." He looked to the side, thinking that his grab for power was being thwarted, even as he had removed the other two. Maybe... no-no, too dangerous to cross a Seer. "But our clan has many-many more weapons to kill-kill with, yes!"

Skurvius looked over the assembled troops, his eyes bulging. What had happened during his long nap?

So, 8th edition arrived, and that caused a revamp of my Skaven List, as it now goes to 2500 points, and the list has changed. Here is the new revised list:

Grey Seer Skurvius
Screaming Bell
Dispel Scroll
Spells of Ruin

Warlord Chitter
Shield
Warpstone Armor

Warlock Engineer Squeekitch
Level 2
Doom Rocket
Warp Energy Condenser

Battle Standard
Standard
Shield
Storm Banner

Clan Rats x25
Standard
Champion
Musician
Warp Fire Thrower

Clan Rats x25
Standard
Champion
Musician
Poisoned Wind Mortar

Clan Rats x25
Standard
Champion
Musician
Poisoned Wind Mortar

Clan Rats x25
Standard
Champion
Musician
Poisoned Wind Mortar

Storm Vermin x20
Standard
Champion
Musician
Warp Fire Thrower

Slaves x 35

Slaves x 35

Slaves x 35

Slaves x 35

Doom Wheel

Warp Lightning Cannon x2

Total: 2500
Model Count: 267

So, still no HPA (and no real intention to get one) but added another cannon to the list. I like the cannons. Slave units were bolstered to take advantage of Steadfast, and nothing in the list is horded, except the Bell's unit, which is usually the WFT Clanrats who also get the BSB. Warlord goes in the Stormvermin, which lets them wander around without too many LD problems, or he'll take over generalship if there's too many cannons that can pop Skurvius off his bell.

Battle Report to follow. (Have a small backlog of them, just didn't get them written yet!)

Tarian
21-05-2011, 01:16
The Tail of Grey Seer Skurvius: Battle 3

Game vs. Shooty Dark Elves of Doooooom!

Grey Seer Skurvius settled down on his chair, watching "his" troops gather around... there was still something very-very suspicious about all this, but for now, he had a mission to finish, and nothing would stop him. A scout came scampering back just then, heading towards Warlord Chitter. The scout behind that one saw the smoking corpse in front of him, and diverted to Skurvius. Better. "Oh, most eminent and powerful one, we have reports, yes-yes, some elf-things wish to parlay with the most eminent one, yes!"

He twitched his whiskers. "Yes? What did they want?"
"They wanted to meet with leader of clan, yes-yes, they say to meet alone, and they said their leader would come alone too to talk-talk, yes?"
Squeekitch wished his head didn't feel so foggy from too much sleep. "Well, I will meet-meet with them, yes. And bring the clan."

Skurvius stood on top of his bell, looking over the field. The Dark Elf leader, a Witch Elf, was approaching along with... an entire army? Betrayed! "Quick quick, fire-fire on the elf things, kill them all!"

Pregame Thoughts: Shooty Dark Elves... and a Hydra? This could be a rough game for the Skaven, though at least I have them outnumbered...

Hag with Cauldron of Blood
2 Level 1 Mages, one with Dagger, one with scroll
Battle Standard Bearer with PoK
3 Blocks of 25ish RxB Warriors
20 Black Guard
20 Executioners
25 Witch Elves
4 RBTs
Hydra
Assassin

Deployment:
RBT x2 - Crossbows - Black Guard - Crossbows -Cauldron - Executioners- Crossbows - Witch Elves - RBT x2 - Hydra

WLC x2 - Slaves - Clanrats - Slaves - Clanrats - Clanrats with Bell with Stormvermin in front of them - Slaves - Clanrats - Slaves - Doomwheel

Note: The Slaves pretty much formed a bubble around the not slaves, except for the Cannons and Wheel.

Skurvius got first turn.

Turn 1:
Skurvius watched as his line shuffled forwards a bit to get the Mortars in range, and the Doomwheel cranked forwards. Magic Phase is shut down, except for Skitterleap, which causes Squeekitch to disappear in a puff of smoke, and reappear beside the Elven battle line. (Incidentally, exactly 14" from the center of the Black Guard unit.) Shooting phase starts off spectacularly, as the cannon on the far end charges up, and unleashes a deadly bolt, striking the Witch Elves and dropping a small S8 template on them as well, slaying many of them. The second cannon sees the other one, and tries to replicate, only to shatter itself in a catastrophic explosion. Squeekitch twitched his whiskers. Betrayed yet again! Mortars fall amongs the Executioners, slaying only a few. Then the deranged Squeekitch, camped out next to the enemy line, lines up his rocket that he "borrowed" from the late Gnatters, lit the fuse, and covered his ears with his paws. The rocket spiraled out, flying... exactly 14". The massive explosion rocked the elite guard, slaying all but the Tower Master. Laughing maniacally to himself, even as the Doomwheel blasts the nearby slaves, Skurvius thinks the battle is going well, yes-yes!

The Dark Elf line surged forwards, to get into range of the cowardly rats. Suddenly, a strong breeze picked up, turning into a howling tempest as the Storm Banner activated. The banner will stay activated all game long. Magic is thwarted by Skurvius' most excellent dispelling, yes-yes! The RxBs attempt to pepper the Stormvermin with bolts, but the harsh winds mean only a couple fall. The larger RBTs have better luck, causing 3 wounds on the Doomwheel, but it manages to stay in control.

Turn 2:

Squeekitch, apparently forgotten about for now, dashes to the other side of the crossbows, putting them between him and the RBTs. Magic is shut down, except for Squeekitch manages to pull off a mighty Warp Lightning, killing off the last Black Guard, though a massive magical backlash blasts him (and a few Crossbows) as he miscasts. Another wave of fire from the Skaven line, but the cursed winds block some of the shots, and the rest either fail to do much, or drift wildly, with a suspiciously off target shot almost killing Squeekitch, but he ducked in time.

With only Slaves in range, the Hydra charges them, easily reaching, and the Executioners make a long charge, slamming into the Stormvermin. Chitter bravely offers a challenge, slaying the Executioner champion easily, but then an Assassin jumps out, and with his help, many, many Stormvermin are slain. Deciding discretion is still the better part of valor, Chitter and his Stormvermin turn tail (heh) and run, but will not rally. The victorious Dark Elves overrun into the Screaming Bell's unit. Shooting sees the Crossbows still fail miserably, though all four RBTs manage to pull the Doomwheel down. The Hydra breathes fire, stomps, and kills a *lot* of slaves. (It was something like 15-16 slaves) but with the stern eye of Skurvius on their back, they hold in place.

Turn 3: Skurvius poofs his Battle Standard away (don't want to get blood-blood on it!) Both Warpfire Throwers turn, and their crew fires a wave of molten death, coating the Hydra (and more than a few unfortunate slaves). As it falls to the ground, badly burned, the rest of the shooting sees the Witch Elves fall, and the slaves and clanrats surge forwards to come to grips with the shooty elves. Skurvius and his unit manage to hurt the Executioners, though the Champion issues a challenge, that the Elven BSB accepts, and quickly slays the foolish Clanrat in a show of might. The rest of the Executioners and the Assassin tear into the Clanrats, slaying many of them, but the Bell sees them hold, it's inspiring presence keeping them in the fight.

Shooting fails again, due to Stormbanner, though a few rats die here and there, as more Executioners are pulled down through numbers, and the Skaven Clanrats are looking horribly depleted.

Turn 4:
Lots of failed charges, but with the Storm Banner still going, not much dies, though they inch closer to their targets. Shooting from the rest of the Skaven is rather lacklustre, though a few Elves fall over choking, and a few more are electrocuted. Bell finally does something useful (it had been letting me reroll LD for a while...) and crumbles three of the four RBTs to dust. Combat sees more Clanrats die (they're really not looking so good...) along with a few Executioners.

Scattered shots see some rats across the board die, along with a WFT. Magic sees an irresistable Black Horror crush a Clanrat unit, at the cost of her wizard levels. Obviously, that one was Squeekitch's to dispel, that fool couldn't even handle that, while Skurvius had to deal with the rest! Incompetents! In combat, the Executioners are pulled down to a handful, though they direct their remaining attacks at Skurvius, along with the Assassin. A few seconds later, Skurvius falls off his Bell. AGAIN. The Dark Elves stay in the fight, however.

Turn 5: Finally, the Slaves and Clanrats charge the RxB warriors, suffering a few wounds from S&S while the remaining unit of slaves (The ones that fought a Hydra, then got toasted) charge the last RBT. Squeekitch lobs Warp Lightning at the Cauldron, which does exactly nothing, except make the Hag even more upset. Combat sees the rest of the Executioners brought down, so only the BSB and Assassin are left, who promptly destroy the rest of the Clanrats, leaving the BSB and Assassin fighting the Bell. Combat goes well for the Skaven, but they fail to break any of the Crossbow units (They reformed deep)

Straight to combat! The Bell suffers a few wounds from the Assassin, and the Ogre tries to punch the BSB (to no avail, blasted PoK!) while the RxB are overrun this time, some caught, some running away.

Turn 6: Yes, we still roll it, and yes, the Stormbanner is *still* going. Shooting is pathetic, bouncing off the Cauldron, and the Bell puts a wound on the Assassin, while taking one in return. (Down to 2!)

Stormbanner continues yet again... Yes, that is 11 4+ in a row. Combat sees the Assassin strike first, scoring 3 wounds... Bell saves 2. (Down to 1!) BSB strikes and... misses. Completely. Bell also fails to do anything.

Massacre to the Skaven!

(3/0/0)

Post game thoughts: Again... Skurvius died! he's 0/3 on surviving! The Stormbanner was ridiculous, shutting down most of the DE army by itself. People also really, really hate the Doomwheel.

Post Game Fluff:
Skurvius sat bolt upright, his head pounding again. Last thing he remembered was a very angry elf-thing swinging a very large sword at his head. Well, looking at the field, and the piles of bodies, at least they could eat well tonight... he always did like roasted Hydra.

SevenSins
21-05-2011, 08:41
nice stuff and welcome back, storm banner running an entire battle? that changes things for sure.

when you have charges imminent on the bell unit, turn so that they flank you and don't reform, that way your bell won't get into combat before the entire unit is dead (and Skurvius might hold his perch longer)

Tarian
21-05-2011, 13:18
Thanks and thanks! I like my Skaven, though they have self preservation issues between blowing up, and running away...

Jetty Smurf
23-05-2011, 00:50
Great reports. Definitely a good read. :D

Crazy storm banner lasting the entire game.... crazy!

Dirty dark elves deserve everything they get though! :p

Tarian
25-05-2011, 06:37
The Tail of Grey Seer Skurvius: Battle 4

Game vs. Slaaneshi Warriors

Grey Seer Skurvius smelled something... strange... disgusting even... he sniffed the air somewhat, detecting faint... perfume? He sneezed it out, feeling a little queasy due to the normally pleasant scent. He looked for the nearest rat. "What is that, find out, quick-quick!" He turned, and saw all of his Stormvermin were busy sleeping... useless wretches...

"Oh great one, there is a group of spiky man-things approaching, what should we do-do?"

Skurvius sneezed again. "Kill-kill them! Take their shinies!" He sneezed yet again, it was going to be a long day...

Pregame Thoughts: Lots of fighty units, no Hellcannon, and the game is only 2250, hence the dropping of the Stormvermin for this one. If I can blast them, they're done for, if not... combat is *not* my specialty.

Lord of Khorne, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Might
2 Level 2 Mages, MoT. One has Power Familiar, other has Scroll
24x Warriors of Slaanesh (Shield)
12x Warriors of Khorne (AHW)
15x Marauders of Khorne (GW)
20ish Marauders of Slaanesh (Shield)
10 Knights of Nurgle (Banner of Rage)
15 Chaos Hounds

Deployment:
Knights - Slaanesh Warriors - Slaanesh Marauders - Khorne Warriors - Khorne Marauders - Warhounds

Doomwheel - Slaves - Clanrats - Slaves - Clanrats - Clanrats with Bell - Slaves - Clanrats - Slaves - WLC x2

Note: The Slaves pretty much formed a bubble around the not slaves, except for the Cannons and Wheel.

Skurvius got first turn.

Turn 1:
Skurvius watched as his line shuffled forwards a bit to get the Mortars in range, and the Doomwheel cranked forwards. Magic Phase is shut down, except for Skitterleap, which causes Squeekitch to disappear in a puff of smoke, and reappear beside the Warrior battle line. (Incidentally, exactly 24" from the center of the large Warrior unit.) ((Stop me if this seems familiar, heh...)) Shooting actually works this time, as everything except for the WFT (which was out of range) and the Doomwheel (which blasts 3 slaves) hits. Every. Single. One. either hit, or bounced into the unit and exploded. This sees the Slaaneshi Warriors brought down to about 12ish, the Khorne Marauders to a single rank, and the Knights down it 5. Laughing maniacally to himself, even as the Doomwheel blasts the nearby slaves, Skurvius thinks the battle is going well, yes-yes!

The Chaos line surged forwards, to get into range of the cowardly rats, though the knights shuffle a bit to avoid getting charged by the Doomwheel. Magic sees everything stop, except for an irresistible Gateway on the Bell, which does 10... S 10 hits, phew! Ward saves see only 2 wounds get through onto the bell.

Turn 2:

Squeekitch, apparently forgotten about for now, dashes behind the Knights, and zaps them with warp lightning, but fails to punch through their armor. The rest of the magic is shut down, though the Dispel Scroll eats a Dreaded 13th that failed to irresistible. Another wave of fire from the Skaven line, most of it hitting again, and the Marauders of Slaanesh are shattered down to a couple ranks, though the Warriors shrug off the rest for the most part, as the To-wound rolls didn't do well. Doom Wheel picks off a few more slaves, however.

With only Slaves in range, the Warhounds charge them, easily reaching, and the Warriors of Khorne slam into a slave unit, and the Marauders charge a different slave unit. Magic goes off, is shut down again, except for *another* irresistible Gateway, which does 9 S9 to the unit, killing 6 or 7. The knights still shuffle, afraid to get in with the Doomwheel. Combat goes heavily in the Warrior's favor, but steadfast rerollable 10 sees them sticking around. The puppies lose, but hold.

Turn 3: Skurvius fires a mighty Dreaded 13th on the Warriors of Slaanesh... rolling an amazing 20 for the damage, wiping them out (including the lord) and getting a handful of clanrats, but he sneezes as it casts, causing a miscast... as he the proceeds to suck himself into the warp with the miscast. Doomwheel makes a long charge against the Knights, and the remaining slave unit moves up to shore up the other slave unit, as the Warriors killed over a dozen last turn, and LD just went away... Between Zzzzap and impact hits, the knights are killed, along with the Marauders of Khorne and the Puppies (Pulled down by slaves, oh yeah!) The remaining warriors of Khorne mow down the slaves, overrunning into the second block.

Game is over at this point, but here's what the Lawnmower Warriors of Khorne killed: 2 35 blocks of slaves, 2 25 Blocks of Clanrats (1 loose, and the Bell's unit) and a mortar, before. There were only 5 of them when they hit my line.

Massacre to the Skaven!

(4/0/0)

Post game thoughts: Again... Skurvius died! he's 0/4 on surviving now. Warriors of Khorne with AHW hurt. A lot. For 5 of 'em, they killed over 100 models.

Post Game Fluff:
Skurvius sat bolt upright, his head pounding yet again. He still got the shivers from his brief sojourn to... wherever that was... at least his sneezing was gone now...

Malorian
25-05-2011, 18:03
13th is nasty against WoC.

Nice short and bloody game :)