PDA

View Full Version : Anyone jump ship when next codex's come out?

mafty
02-12-2009, 04:43
Next year has a bunch of nice new stuff coming out, and it makes me wonder does getting a new codex (along with potentially new models) make you want to jump ship and start that army knowing it was designed for 5th.

I know all the new tyranid stuff coming out (new models, and dex) makes me want to consider them. Ive always loved tyranid models and ever since starship troopers I think there badass, ive just never found them to be a strong army.

anyways i digress, all the new stuff makes me want to join one of the new codex armies designed for 5th.

Mannimarco
02-12-2009, 04:45
nope not at all, im happy with what ive got (even if some people arnt ;))

next year the bandwagon shall roll on without me on it

big squig
02-12-2009, 04:46
Tau maybe. I played them once, had a lot of fun, but ended up selling them. The only thing stopping me from starting them up again is that they don't have a 5th ed codex.

Branderic
02-12-2009, 04:47
This is my 1st army and I'm sticking with Tyranids.

Absolutionis
02-12-2009, 05:08
I'm a die-hard Eldar and Tyranid player. The only thing I would ever consider is 'jumping ship' to Dark Eldar if their models indeed look cool.

Meriwether
02-12-2009, 05:13
Why jump ship when you can own an armada? (I own seven armies, and can borrow my brother's tyranids whenever I want. My total collection is well over 60,000 points.)

IcedAnimals
02-12-2009, 05:15
I don't "jump ship" but I have enough armies that one of them tends to have a new codex coming out with new models.

Since I play Black Templar, Imperial guard, Sisters of battle, Necrons and Tau. There is not much waiting for new stuff to try out. And I have no need to feel pressure from new releases.

Cognitave
02-12-2009, 05:22
Nah. I like tyranids, and can talk about them with people, but they've never really interested me.

I'd prefer to finish my Ultramarines before starting another army, but I'm gonna be all over Dark Eldar when the rumors start. :D

jason_sation
02-12-2009, 05:34
I like Tyranids, and always wanted to play them, but have heard they don't play well as a gaunt horde, which is how I'd want to do them. I may consider it when the Codex comes out, but I still want to do Tau first.

chaos0xomega
02-12-2009, 06:12
Thread isn't quite what I expected, but to the OP: how could you consider Tyranids a weak army? The nidzilla build is nigh unstoppable, lord knows I dont know anyone whose personally managed to beat a nidzilla list played by a competent general.

Also, just because you decide to start a new army, doesn't mean you're "jumping ship." I currently own a Tau, Eldar, and Tyranid army. I had a Necron army as well until about 2 years ago(when I decided to sell them). I also have the makings of several chaos armies, and am in the process of starting up a guard army.

Jackmojo
02-12-2009, 06:33
I jumped into a new guard army when the codex came out (just before really, but because of the new book), not because what I read excited me as much as I finally gave into a long held IG bug. The release of the new codex was a catalyst for sure though.

Jack

Vaktathi
02-12-2009, 06:36
I might be tempted to do Nids at some point, I just don't like the current book much. If the new book turns out cool (judging by the IG book, I'm hoping it will) and Warriors become useable (I really like the models) even if they aren't amazing I'll definitely be thinking about it.

That said, I have zero interest in anything else rumored to be in the pipe, like Blood Angels and potentially Black Templars after them. No matter what they do to those books, I just can't see myself starting an army of them.

Mosedeke
02-12-2009, 06:44
I started both IG and Tyranids right before their codexes were announced, so I'm happy with what I have. Not so much the Tyranids, since I realized I can't have an effective Gaunt swarm, and I find Nidzilla somewhat stale.

The Custodian
02-12-2009, 06:46
Ahhh, I cant wait for the people with SM, or others using the nid dex as counts as because it better represents thier chapter.... Actually I see IG and maybe orks doing this... If I see a SM player running around playing counts as nids ill be very ticked...

Scythe
02-12-2009, 07:30
I only did this once... back when Necrons were released in 3rd edition, I went out, bought the army deal, and started an army of them. My other 7 armies (counting fantasy ones as well) where all started in the middle of a codex / army book lifecycle. I cannot deny that a new codex release of an existing army of mine pushes me to buy more minitaures, as IG did this year, and Tyranids will probably do very soon. Not trilled at all about a Blood Angel or Black Templar release (another marine variant... *yawn*). Necrons or Tau releases might interest me though, but those are both existing armies of mine, so meh ;)

sucramreverse
02-12-2009, 07:54
When tyranids arrive, I will jump ON a ship and proceed to leave that area immediately.

Really though, it doesn't look like they are going to be doing THAT much with the tyranids, and they were my previous army before losing them in storage (sad days). I might buy the codex but I'm not going to betray my new ties to chaos, there are beings higher up that would not be pleased (mostly my wallet).

But a Dark Eldar codex and especially new miniatures will get me to switch gears for sure.

Axeman1n
02-12-2009, 08:35
Take over new ships each time they make cooler cheap models. Still working on completeing my GK's, and Orks.

the1stpip
02-12-2009, 08:38
It all depends on what is coming out.

Quite possibly, a new codex or new range will inspire me to do a new army, the last time it happened was with Orks.

But again, I have 4 main armies, and I have already started a new army, with plans for two more in the back of my head, so probably not. I am now waiting for the new Dark Eldar codex.

marv335
02-12-2009, 08:47
I'm in a similar position to Meri, I have lots of armies, so I never "jump ship", I just change focus :D

Xelloss
02-12-2009, 09:15
Codex release don't make me want to start a new army if I wasn't interested in it first. It is just an occasion to re-evaluate the pro and the con that made me delay my purchase.
For example I was very motivated to start IG when I heard about the early rumours, but the new codex seems to favour army list I can't afford financially or don't interest me (expecially when IG troops increased in price even if they where already too expensive), so I just ended delaying it again.
The next army I will consider is radical inquisition, but I'm not in a hurry...

genestealer_baldric
02-12-2009, 09:23
well iam making another hive fleet with the new codex does that count?

no i know what races i like and play them, the only one i like the look of but dont play is necrons and i will probally wait till they get a new codex before deciding on getting them or not.

Sircyn
02-12-2009, 09:31
I have enough armies now that every year means I get about two new books for an existing army, so I tend to devote most of my time loving up my existing forces now, trying out the new options and making the force as uber as the new book allows or mining a vein of background or theme that interests me at the time. I use the Codex releases to kick me into action as the army will be future proofed with the new book and there will generally be a couple of nifty mini releases I can get stuck into.

I like this as I don't have to paint whole armies any more, just adding smaller chunks, getting to the stage where I can just pick up a case full of a painted army depending on my mood to play with is very satisfying. My Flesh Tearers are an old school jump pack force that with the new codex I aim to mechanise, my nids will just be growing I think!

sigur
02-12-2009, 09:37
After GW released new codices/army books for almost all of my armies within the last one and a half years I'm gladly looking forward to not getting anything new for quite some time (until there's something new being released for SoB).

Fenrir
02-12-2009, 09:47
I'm planning to use the new Tyranids book to represent my Space Wolves, as they fit the background better.

Souleater
02-12-2009, 09:52
Nope. I play Nids as my main army anyway.

Next year I am going to focus on actually getting them completed!

I've got to the stage where I am happy with the armies I already have. Thankfully I seem to have grown out of the mad 'ooohh, shiney' stage.

Eldoriath
02-12-2009, 10:40
Not really, I planned on making my guard army before I knew they were inbound to get a new codex in half a year. Otherwise I have always played with armies/codices that are quite old since it has been those that have pulled my interest.

Baggers
02-12-2009, 10:42
I'll admit that the urge is there, but having only played one army for 40k since 97 (when I started playing 40K) I'll doubt that I'll progress it any further down the line.

Sir_Turalyon
02-12-2009, 11:11
Only if pulling an old army from mothballs counts ... more recomissioning old ship then jumping new one.

LonelyPath
02-12-2009, 12:05
I have no need to jump ship since I already play Nids.

Ironhand
02-12-2009, 12:09
I don't limit myself to one army.

I've already got more than enough figures for all the armies in 40K. So as each new Codex comes out , I just buy a few of the new figures/models and paint up what I've already got.

Freakiq
02-12-2009, 12:24
As I'm almost finished with my Ultramarine army I might update my old Tyranids when the new codex hits the stores.

primarch16
02-12-2009, 12:31
I doubt I'll be drawn into anything. I've tried playing other armies but I seem to love my Templars too much :D.

Brucopeloso
02-12-2009, 12:34
Nope, just touching up my current armies and saving up for Dark Eldar

Lostzilla
02-12-2009, 12:50
I've already jumped to Imperial guard. Bye bye boring CSM and hello to my four awesome valkirie and hydra models. And the posibility to represent a genestealer cult!
And few moths ago I've jumped to tyranids (bye bye orks).
Tyranids were my first army (second edition), but I had to sold the army when 3th edition arrived. Orks are awesome and have really cool models, but I'm in love with those little ******* bugs :P

And Robin Cruddace has made a really really good job with the Imperial Guard. I hope he will make the same good job with tyranids.

Kaboof76
02-12-2009, 12:57
Personally, I wanted to quit the game completely when I heard nids where next! They are not in the most dire need of an update, and other codexs where more outdated!!!

Everyone knows how GW thinks though, it's all about raping us at the sales counter! And nids are big money!

Lord Malorne
02-12-2009, 12:59
It is beyond me why people leave the hobby because of such stupid things like a new book.

Next year has a bunch of nice new stuff coming out, and it makes me wonder does getting a new codex (along with potentially new models) make you want to jump ship and start that army knowing it was designed for 5th.

I know all the new tyranid stuff coming out (new models, and dex) makes me want to consider them. Ive always loved tyranid models and ever since starship troopers I think there badass, ive just never found them to be a strong army.

anyways i digress, all the new stuff makes me want to join one of the new codex armies designed for 5th.

Jump ship? Don't you mean jump on the bandwagon?

Lord Malornef76

Scythe
02-12-2009, 13:31
Personally, I wanted to quit the game completely when I heard nids where next! They are not in the most dire need of an update, and other codexs where more outdated!!!

Everyone knows how GW thinks though, it's all about raping us at the sales counter! And nids are big money!

...because some armies receiving an update before others is a completely new thing, right? Ow, wait....

It's economics. Like it or not, it is not going to change.

hendybadger
02-12-2009, 14:17
I have a large Tyranid army that is soon to grow even more with the new Codex.
But. Ive always love the Blood Angels and Im waiting for the new book to start them.
Theres another couple of forces Im waiting on aswell, but I wont abbandon my original ones

MVBrandt
02-12-2009, 14:31
I'm not really a "new shiny army" kinda guy ... I picked up Guard originally b/c I wanted to do Air Cav, before even knowing a single thing about Valks and Vendettas.

I played Nids for the 3 years prior to that, and will be going back to them now that they have new rules coming out. Just grew bored after exhausting all options with the prior dex.

d6juggernaut
02-12-2009, 14:42
When I was given a choice to start Necrons or Tyranids a few years ago I went for Necrons, but I still can't conceal my love for the great devourer, so I'll most likely be jumping Tyranids when they come out in January.

WH40KAj
02-12-2009, 14:51
I'm planning to use the new Tyranids book to represent my Space Wolves, as they fit the background better.

I find your humour amusing... not.

I have plenty of armies to be honest. Tyranids are my most played and main. Then there all types of chaos (daemons, marines and traitor guard). And all eldar (dark and craftworld). Finally we end on orks, whom are speed/bad moons variety.
The only one i'd do now as a whole force is Tau, but i'm doing a wait and see attitude on them. Purely because I want to do an O'Shovah force, without having to play 1500+ pts games.

I may go back and get a few guard platoons, give them rending claws and cortex leeches also...just so my nids have something cool i can make up for apoc :)

SPYDER68
02-12-2009, 14:57
I doubt i ever do nids, i have 2 friends that have nid armies.

Blood angels i started 6 years ago, tossed part in a box gave part away, then i decided to redo the army about 6 months ago, then all of a sudden now codex rumors started coming out.

If Tau came out ? i have 1k painted, and another 1k in boxes that i havent used yet.

Most likely sell the tau thou, i dont really want 2 shooty armies, they can get old fast.

mdauben
02-12-2009, 15:09
I admit I am sometimes attracted to the latest shinny new codex, but at this point I doubt I will be picking up a new Tyranid army (or BA army or whatever comes after). I already have several 40K armies that I can't seem to finish painting, I don't really need another!

Lostanddamned
02-12-2009, 15:15
Like Marv and Meri, I have enough armies that a new codex probably means that an old army has new minis and a new book.

I moved to Plymouth just after Codex: Space Marines.

I play IG, SW, Nids and Chaos. Guess who looks like a bandwagoneer completely by accident.

Hadafix
02-12-2009, 15:21
I have to much WIP to do to even "think" about nids. I got to finish what I have, build a small SW army I promised myself and at some point do a WFB Chaos army that I have been wanting to do for ages.

"If" BT are redone for 5ed, that means reconfiguring my main army again... less time to get anything else done.

GutterRunner
02-12-2009, 15:51
Thread isn't quite what I expected, but to the OP: how could you consider Tyranids a weak army? The nidzilla build is nigh unstoppable, lord knows I dont know anyone whose personally managed to beat a nidzilla list played by a competent general.

I have beaten a Nidzilla list quite handily with none of its models reaching my lines, while using a IG list that included static and mobile forces, and by forcing him to cross lots of difficult terrain to reach me.

x-esiv-4c
02-12-2009, 15:56
When the last chaos codex came out, I jumped ship to FoW

Rewision
02-12-2009, 16:12
IF they manage to release dark eldar in 2010 I'll definitely get an army of them.

I might even save up for it when they release them.

Necromania82
02-12-2009, 17:15
I have the advantage that I am allready playing a race thats getting the new codex next year. So all it does for me is boost what I have, I may loose some things but I will gain to.

ReveredChaplainDrake
02-12-2009, 17:36
I don't usually have the funding to pull off a bandwagon jump. I switch from one army to another due to either a massive increase in income, an artistic vision, a change in army philosophy, or something else.

For example, I started Daemons after picking up a Bloodthirster- er... Richfood Greater Daemon for my Chaos Marines, and I got a bunch of ...Richfood Lesser Daemons in the process. I had it most of the way started. Then, when I got my new job, I picked up a Lord of Change, 2x Soulgrinders, 5 Bloodcrushers, some Dryads (Horrors), and I converted 15 of my Beastmen "Lesser Daemons" into Plaguebearers. (Plus, when I need it, I migrate my CSM Nurgle Prince.)

As for the new Tyranids, I'll be there, but the only things I'm looking to pick up are some Trygons, more Carnifexes (replacing some of my old 3rd ed ones) and possibly some Pyrovores, assuming they don't suck. (I have very low expectations of the Venomthrope. A Zoanthrope designed for CC? :wtf:) I have 60 Spines, at least 40 Terms, 60 Horms, 12 ST/RC Warriors, 3 Zoanthropes, five carnifexes (2 dakka, 1 screamer, 1 shovel-tusk, 1 bomber), a pair of Tyrants (one dakka on foot, one choppy with wings) and 24 Genestealers, (not counting Space Hulk, which I fully plan to use in 40k). If anything, I'm going to be giving my metal models a Pine-Sol bath to strip off years of bad painting that I didn't care about at the time. I might invest in some new bitz packs (possibly an extra pair of Dragon wings), especially if they release the 4th edition Monstous Creature sprue via direct order.

mafty
02-12-2009, 17:41
I didnt intend for this to be a "would you switch to tyranids thread" lol. more or less do you feel like changing armies when new codecies come out. Next year has a few space marines, nids, and possibly dark eldar. I know the BA intices me to want to make a space marine force

Ozendorph
02-12-2009, 18:01
We've got two rather dedicated Nid players in our group, so there's no real pressure to add another. I could see wanting to play BA, but I think I'd rather add more units to my DA army. My Necrons have been dormant for a long time now...if their 'dex comes out I'm sure that'll inspire me to fire up the harvesters.

Tarquinn
02-12-2009, 18:44
No.

I play an army because I like its design and background, not because of the rules.

druchii
02-12-2009, 18:58

Weird, as consumers we vote with our dollar...and the company we support listens. How is this a bad thing?

I guess you could call me a Bandwagoner. I tend to get caught up with new armies when they're released. I jumped in whole-sale and bought 10k worth of Bretonnians when they were released.

I've got almost 7k of 40k Chaos demons now.

Why?

Usually when a new army (or an old book like Bretonnians gets a redo) comes out they get amazing new plastic models. The old-school bretonnian models were terrible! Such a far cry from the nasty, mean spirited Arthurian-meanies they should be. Same with demons. Unique army, unique play style. That's what got me.

Tyranids? More of something I've seen for the past 10 years. I mean, yay, good, make the codex more varried ("really, ANOTHER 7 MC nid list? Okaaay lets waste two hous of our lives."). But I've seen it done before.

EDIT:
OH, I might jump ship and buy a Skaven army when 'Nids get pumped out. That way no one will suspect me of secretly tunneling under my hobby shop...

d

Blitz001
02-12-2009, 19:37
I honestly cant stop playing my guard.... so bring on the new codeices (spelling check?) Imp guard forever.

bigcheese76
02-12-2009, 20:13
No I dont just start a new army when the new 5th ed codex comes out. Luckily for me Imperial Guard was one of the 1st codexes to be re done for 5th ed. I wish they would re do my other armies but it doesnt bother me that much. They should really consider re doing the codexes that havent been changed for ages, like Dark Eldar.

NightrawenII
02-12-2009, 21:45
I might jump ship, if the Daemonhunters get new book or at least use GKT allies in my SM force.

Why? Because knight-terminator librarians are simply bada$$.:evilgrin:

jason_sation
02-12-2009, 22:23
One thing that would definitely motivate me is the release of new models (which accompany a new codex). I like the Tau models, but if I found out some of them were coming out in plastic, I'd defintiely jump into them.

I'm actually going to get into Fantasy next year because I want to paint some Minotaurs up (my favorite fantasy creature) and supposedly plastic ones will come out when the new Beastman codex comes out.

TimLeeson
02-12-2009, 22:32
I'm an army-addict, I do have a few "main" armies though which are the ones I actually game with and love to bits/expand when I get time..but if something new comes out I like or inspires me I will make a very small force (500pts or so), I did this with space wolves out of a simple curiousity of what I could do with such a great kit and managed to bash out 1000pts combined with some other spare marine stuff I had lying around.

I probably will buy some of the new nids for this same reason, I just like the new models, well the ones without legs anyway, and the gargoyles inspire me to do a Night Gaunts/Mi-Go army. I'd probably expand on my necrons if they come out next year (I doubt it), the new Dark Eldar would be interesting to check out if they ever get released, and an entirely new xeno race would certainly get my attention.

Lycannus
02-12-2009, 23:04
I collect every army, for Fantasy and 40k, no, not really jumping ship, just updating what I already have.....

Oguleth
02-12-2009, 23:23
Well, if Dark Eldar appear next year I'll be jumping ship and put on the spikes and rob my wallet to hire some goons in commoragh, but otherwise I'll skip all these marinereleases and prefer to squash the bugs instead of painting them.

If Necrons actually show up, that is something I could be tempted by too, I just hope (for the sake of my wallet) that the robots and the pirates getting back to back releases if they ever get updated, that'd just be mean...

solkan
02-12-2009, 23:49
Jump ship?!? Are you kidding? My younger brother has a Tyranid army. For Christmas he's getting a receipt for the stuff which is going to ship in January.

Of course, January's when I have to start assembling and painting Dark Eldar so that I can get that army put together before the 2012 Dark Eldar release. :p

Commander Zane
03-12-2009, 00:45
im not gona buy the nid dex, but if there is any nice models (the trygon and plastic garroyles are a must) i will buy some to paint so i can get better at painting. but other than that no i wont be unless they become the best value for money but knowin GW thats never gona happen

CthulhuDalek
03-12-2009, 04:07
Frankly I'm just looking forward to using my gaunts again and hopefully fielding a horde of 90 gargoyles, 9 lictors etc.