PDA

View Full Version : Lets all get together and boycotte the Tyranids!!!

HsojVvad
02-12-2009, 20:40
Right now I am a little, well alot pissed at GW right now. If the rumours are true about the prices of their new products I say we make a stand and boycotte the Tyranids and make it a flop for GW.

First they tell us metal minis are expensive because of the cost of raw materials. Ok I can buy that story and agree. They said if they could make them into plastic they would and then sell them cheaper.

Well now Ravenors are suppose to be in plastic now, but they are not going to be really any cheaper. I will not list prices since we are all in different countries and our currency is diffent.

But if the rumours are true, and plastic ravenorers are not that much cheaper than metal ones, we should show GW we will not put up with this, and take a stand. Maybe we should boycotte the Tyranid line and not give GW one more penny. There is no reason why we can't have a savings on plastics.

It was even quoted that the brass of GW says that we are willing to pay for anythingthey set. So lets show them we are not willing to pay for anything what they set.

Who is with me? I know what the out come will be, but if I don't try, then nothing will happen. Maybe I can get the snow ball running down the hill and it could turn into a big snow ball and maybe an avalance and make GW rethink their policy.

SPYDER68
02-12-2009, 20:42
g/l with that.

GW will charge whatever they want, and people will still buy it.

I will still buy it, its my hobby and ill enjoy it no matter the cost.

and of course, your just going off rumors, wait until prices are set in stone.

PrivateLucky
Ravanors will have a lot more options than before. The sprues will be more detailed and they will be PLASTIC. Seriously stop complaining.

Urath
I do not play Tyranids, but I would indeed participate if I did; assuming that your figures are correct. In the past, the store has even 'misplaced' stuff that I've deemed ridiculously priced.

Ravanors will have a lot more options than before. The sprues will be more detailed and they will be PLASTIC. Seriously stop complaining.

Yeah, so what? Just because they're plastic, doesn't mean that they should be the same price; they SHOULD be cheaper. Apart from allowing easier conversion, which will be largely redundant if they include all of the biomorphs, the whole point of plastic is for bulk sale and for cheaper at that.

loveless
02-12-2009, 20:45
3 Plastic Raveners - $44.50 (USD)
3 Metal Raveners - $59.25 (USD)

Total Savings - $14.75 (USD) - approximately 25% off

OP has mathematical failure or very high expectations.

Bookwrak
02-12-2009, 20:46
Cheaper in base material cost, but the equipment for making plastic injection sprues is much more expensive than spincasting metals, so how do you back up your supposition that they, 'should be cheaper?'

Anyway, g/l with the boycott, it just means there'll be less competition to grab a couple of boxes on release day.

superdupermatt
02-12-2009, 20:48
I can understand people's grievances about the costs of the models, but that's life.

Shall we boycott GW and make them further in the red, possibly making them go bust resulting in loss of OUR hobby? No thanks.

Urath
Cheaper in base material cost, but the equipment for making plastic injection sprues is much more expensive than spincasting metals, so how do you back up your supposition that they, 'should be cheaper?'

Because the base materiel cost would eventually boast a net gain with the amount of spures or models that could be created from the cheaper base material.

Shall we boycott GW and make them further in the red, possibly making them go bust resulting in loss of OUR hobby? No thanks.

If GW had any sense, then it wouldn't come to that.

marv335
Good luck, You'll need it.

Meriwether
loveless wins the thread. 25% is not trivial.

HsojVvad
02-12-2009, 20:52

Stop complaining? Maybe you are willing to accept the outrages prices GW is offering, but dosn't mean I have to accept it. You do know it only costs GW about 50 cents to make a sprue, but to pay $50 for it? this is an example. I know it costs pennies to make. (yeah I know they have to pay for molds, and what not, but that is the price you pay to make goods. Also once the molds are paid for, I havn't seen one mini go down in price, and the prices stay the same, or even go up even more after the molds are paid for)

So it's ok for GW to charge what ever they want? I am not happy being lied to from GW telling me metal costs more because of materials. GW told me that they would lower prices if were in plastics. But now GW is charging expensive prices for plastic. Is that fair?

Yes it was Red and Black shirts who told me this stuff. In 5 different GW stores, so I guess that is one of the lines they have to tell us if we tell them about why metal minis are so expensive.

So if we are expecting plastic mini's we should be expecting cheaper prices.

Corrode
02-12-2009, 20:53
25% cheaper sounds like a fair lot to me, especially given that those plastic sprues are likely to be packed full of stuff other than just 'body, two arms, head'. Would you prefer to get them free with a Happy Meal?

Bookwrak
02-12-2009, 20:55
Because the base materiel cost would eventually boast a net gain with the amount of spures or models that could be created from the cheaper base material.

Yes, and? That has no meaning in regards to you still need to pay off the initial investment in molds. I'm simply not seeing what's got Hsojvvad's knickers in such a twist. This isn't a goldswords situation. The models are cheaper as promised, so what's got him in a frothing nerd rage?

Mythrider
02-12-2009, 20:55
Not to poop on your boycott parade but in addition to what SPYDER68 said look at the price of Forge World stuff. Price is not an issue in this hobby. Sure, I wish the models were cheaper, but they`re not, and here`s why...

GW/FW make plastic/metal/resin crack. We`re addicted (don`t try to say you`re not) and GW know it.

loveless
02-12-2009, 20:56
Stop complaining? Maybe you are willing to accept the outrages prices GW is offering, but dosn't mean I have to accept it. You do know it only costs GW about 50 cents to make a sprue, but to pay $50 for it? this is an example. I know it costs pennies to make. (yeah I know they have to pay for molds, and what not, but that is the price you pay to make goods. Also once the molds are paid for, I havn't seen one mini go down in price, and the prices stay the same, or even go up even more after the molds are paid for)

If you know your customers will pay $50 for something, why only charge them $40? Sure, you might get new customers, but there's no guarantee.

So it's ok for GW to charge what ever they want? I am not happy being lied to from GW telling me metal costs more because of materials. GW told me that they would lower prices if were in plastics. But now GW is charging expensive prices for plastic. Is that fair?

The plastics in question are nearly 25% cheaper than their metal counterparts. That is a price drop.

Yes it was Red and Black shirts who told me this stuff. In 5 different GW stores, so I guess that is one of the lines they have to tell us if we tell them about why metal minis are so expensive.

Metal is an expensive material. With a few exceptions, GW plastic kits are cheaper than their metal kits.

You are getting cheaper prices. How cheap do you want them to be?

SPYDER68
02-12-2009, 20:57
I would pay more for a plastic model then a metal model regardless of their cost :P

Much easier to work with, convert and paint without it chippinng!

i Currently dont mind the prices, $44.50 for 3 Ravs ?

i only pay 37.80 or 35.60 for them depending where i decide to purchase them.

If you pay full price, you can thank your GW store managers for not giving a discount and try buying from a retailer who does.

HsojVvad
02-12-2009, 20:59
3 Plastic Raveners - $44.50 (USD)
3 Metal Raveners - $59.25 (USD)

Total Savings - $14.75 (USD) - approximately 25% off

OP has mathematical failure or very high expectations.

Hmmm 25% savings? So all you are saying is metal only costs 25% more? I rather have the metal than the plastics then.

So please tell me why 3 warriors are so much cheaper than 3 ravenors? You telling me the tail costs that much more?

I do have very high expectations. But that dosn't mean we have to be quiet. We are aloud to show or say our displeasure about it. I have that right, and freedom to do so. Just because you don't agree with me, dosn't mean I am wrong.

I find it funny, lots of people complain about the price of gasoline, and other things, but is someone complains about GW we have to shut up and stop "whinning as you guys say" about it?

I am not whinning about it, but trying to send a message. I guess, GW is correct then. Most people will buy anything at what ever prices GW sets. And you wonder why people say GW is out of touch with their fan base.

DeadlySquirrel
02-12-2009, 21:00
hahaha, this thread fails. Its a waste, even if we DID boycotte it... it wouldnt do much.

Bookwrak
02-12-2009, 21:00
Which is what we're getting them at, so what are you crying about? Although looking at the rest of your post, it seems that the probably is just that you're completely ignorant on the entire matter of mini production.

It's not just mold and machinery costs that need to be recouped, but the wages of the designers, and the writers, and the janitors, and rental fees for the building space, operating costs for their stores... ALL of that is also supported by what they're selling, and on top of that, healthy companies also should be bringing in some amount of pure profit too which is used to expand and grow. That's why it'd be silly and self-defeating for a company to say, 'we've paid off development and production costs, time for a price cut!'

so if you're going to go off on a rant, try and at least know square one about what you're ranting about.

but is someone complains about GW we have to shut up and stop "whinnng as you guys say" about it?
No, but if you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, then whining like this makes you look petulant and ignorant, which contributes nothing at all to any form of intelligent conversation.

SPYDER68
02-12-2009, 21:01
Hmmm 25% savings? So all you are saying is metal only costs 25% more? I rather have the metal than the plastics then.

So please tell me why 3 warriors are so much cheaper than 3 ravenors? You telling me the tail costs that much more?

I do have very high expectations. But that dosn't mean we have to be quiet. We are aloud to show or say our displeasure about it. I have that right, and freedom to do so. Just because you don't agree with me, dosn't mean I am wrong.

I find it funny, lots of people complain about the price of gasoline, and other things, but is someone complains about GW we have to shut up and stop "whinning as you guys say" about it?

I am not whinning about it, but trying to send a message. I guess, GW is correct then. Most people will buy anything at what ever prices GW sets. And you wonder why people say GW is out of touch with their fan base.

You sure they arent going to rebox the Warriors and up their price to match ? :P

Urath
02-12-2009, 21:01
Yes, and? That has no meaning in regards to you still need to pay off the initial investment in molds. I'm simply not seeing what's got Hsojvvad's knickers in such a twist. This isn't a goldswords situation. The models are cheaper as promised, so what's got him in a frothing nerd rage?

Yeah; but look at Land Raiders, for example, their price is still high despite having paid off the 'initial investment in molds'. Besides, you asked me a question - so I answered. But yeah, a 25% 'knock off' is quite nice, it's better than I expected it to be from Hsojvvad's post.

marv335
02-12-2009, 21:02
You're getting better quality kits with more options and they are charging you less.
And you're upset with that.
There truly is no pleasing some people

Meriwether
02-12-2009, 21:05
So it's ok for GW to charge what ever they want?

Of course it is. Welcome to the wonderful world of supply and demand.

I make beeswax candles. They cost me about $1 each to make, plus a little time. I sell them for $5 wholesale, or $8 retail at my roadside stand, because people buy them like hotcakes. If I raised the price I would get less business, but if I lowered the price I would sell just as many -- and thus put less money in my own pocket.

My bees make honey. After the initial investment, this honey is essentially *free* to produce, except for my time (which is a hobby that I enjoy). I charge $4 a pound for it, because that's what people will pay. I could charge less, but why on Earth would I?

Yay for me. Yay for capitalism. Yay for GW... If they ever raise their prices beyond what the market will bear, the market will let them know in a most unpleasant sales quarter.

Bookwrak
02-12-2009, 21:06
Yeah; but look at Land Raiders, for example, their price is still high despite having paid off the 'initial investment in molds'. Besides, you asked me a question - so I answered. But yeah, a 25% 'knock off' is quite nice, it's better than I expected it to be from Hsojvvad's post.

And why should they drop the price just because the mold is paid off? If people are willing to keep on paying that price and the productions costs have gone down, that means you're pulling in more profit per unit, which is a good thing. More money on hand not tied up in operating costs means you have more money to do things (for example, the surge from LotR gave GW a lot more money to do things like push their retail presence and update production machinery - if you're only making $.01 profit for unit sold, then you're not going to have the funds to do more than run in place).

HsojVvad
02-12-2009, 21:07
You're getting better quality kits with more options and they are charging you less.
And you're upset with that.
There truly is no pleasing some people

It's not that they are not pleasing me. What is wrong with wanting to save more money? I am going by what they told me for years and years. Now I am feeling I was lied to. What is wrong with being upset at being lied to?

SPYDER68
02-12-2009, 21:08
It's not that they are not pleasing me. What is wrong with wanting to save more money? I am going by what they told me for years and years. Now I am feeling I was lied to. What is wrong with being upset at being lied to?

So your paying full retail ? or going somewhere to get a discount ?

loveless
02-12-2009, 21:08

Then go buy the metal models now and spend the extra $15?

Well...we don't know what else is in the Ravenor box yet...options, extra bits, level of detail, etc.

Well, saying the plastics weren't much cheaper than the metals was wrong, but if you still don't like the price, it's your right to have an opinion on it.

Well, when you come into a thread saying that the plastics aren't saving you any money, then use a plastic kit that does, in fact, save money to support your point - it's not going to end well.

Maybe you should have tried this when the WHFB Greatswords came out a few months ago? Or head down to WHFB N&RD and complain about the new Bestigor models due in February? Both of those plastic kits only save a few bucks over their metal components (From $47.00 down to $41.25)

The answer here is obvious - GW loves 40K more than WHFB :p

The Custodian
02-12-2009, 21:10
Yay they lied to us... Big suprise... Im honestly not suprised by this, at least its not a repeat of the Goldswords GW tried to shovedown our throats earlier... This boycott wont work... Sorry bub, they rarely do...

HsojVvad
02-12-2009, 21:14
And why should they drop the price just because the mold is paid off? If people are willing to keep on paying that price and the productions costs have gone down, that means you're pulling in more profit per unit, which is a good thing. More money on hand not tied up in operating costs means you have more money to do things (for example, the surge from LotR gave GW a lot more money to do things like push their retail presence and update production machinery - if you're only making $.01 profit for unit sold, then you're not going to have the funds to do more than run in place).

Why should they drop the price? Because they were trying to justify the high cost because of the molds. What is their story once that excuse is over with? I can understand of price of molds, set up etc, but if that is the only excuse they are using, then what excuse do they have left then? See what I mean, they lie to your face or at least my face. When I am lied to I am aloud to be upset. I am shocked, more people are not upset with GW pricing policy now.

There is alot of companies out there making $.01 a profit out there per product btw and are doing extremly succesfully.

Yay they lied to us... Big suprise... Im honestly not suprised by this, at least its not a repeat of the Goldswords GW tried to shovedown our throats earlier... This boycott wont work... Sorry bub, they rarely do...

Hey I tried at least. I figured this was going to happen, but I needed to try.

leonmallett
02-12-2009, 21:14
I for one have no problem with the price. I really don't understand the indignation of the OP - if you, me or anyone doesn't like a product or its price we have a simple choice:

buy or don't buy.

The point is that no-one is forcing this purchase.

The OP has tried to bring in materials cost to their argument as well, overlooking the vastly greater up-front investment in tooling for plastics.

The OP's stance seems a little bit 'arch' to me - in other words maybe the OP didn't really want anyone to join his boycott... :eyebrows: