PDA

View Full Version : 750 Doubles Vampires and Tomb kings

Lightdrow
02-12-2009, 21:17
Ok so after trying a bit of thread necromancy on accident I am making a new thread for this in hopes to get some people will share their opinions now that we actually have everything hashed out for the tourney.

So I guess I will start by posting the rules.

Armies for all current edition printed books are allowed.
No Special Characters allowed.
Any Army may ally with another.
You are required 1 character that is your armies General. In armies that have a compulsory choice you may ignore that if you want. Your general canít fulfill another role like Army Standard Bearer unless normally allowed to do so in your army book. The only exception would be the Tomb kings Hierophant can be their army general or the Prince could be the Hierophant.
All other requirements and limitations can be found in the Army book.
These armies will be completely separate. Your Generalís leadership bonus will only affect your troops. You each get 2 power and 2 dispel dice for showing up (Dwarves power dice cannot be used by his ally but can be used to dispel remains in play spells). Dispel dice will be a pool. Spells that target your units may target your allies, but they must match in type you cannot use invocation to raise Clanrats. Also you cannot use lore of life to heal a vampire. (Please try common sense.)

So my friend and I were talking about what to take and when we found out that we can cast spells on each other our lists kind of changed completely. What I was thinking is that my vampires have some pretty good spells mainly Vahls Danse. This spell is a pretty sweet spell but if combined with the TK's it can be devastating. So after some talking here is what we are thinking about running together.

My list of vampires and his list of tombkings

Vampire, Dark Acolyte(lvl 2 wizard), Avatar of death(Great Weapon, HVY armor), Hellsteed, helm of command.
Necromancer, Book of arkhan, Vanhel's Danse.
20 zombies.
20 zombies.
3 fell bats.
4 Blood knights.

Tombkings:

lich priest + COD
lich priest + steed
bow skeles x 10
5 light horseman
3 chariots
Bone giant

So the basic idea is that my vamp runs near his bone giant and when the bone giant gets into combat I cast vahls on it. The premise is this, Bone giant has 5 attacks base at wp 3 with my vampire around him and vahls cast that makes the bone giant always strike first with WS 6 and rerolling failed to-hit rolls and STR 6. That is one nasty combo considering the bone giant gets to make extra attacks for every wound it causes and the extra attacks can keep going as long as its wounding with them.

The rest of the idea was that my blood knights kind of run with his chariots or something and really take down some units of guys. The reason I choose Zombies over anything else is because they make a great tarpit unit and can be raised beyond starting size from the getgo and the bats can warmachine hunt.

I am a little sad that I am not really sure when I would be able to try these lists out with my friend because he lives 3 hours away from me and I don't know how much time I will have before the tourney which is January 2nd. There is a chance that over X-mas break I will be able to try out the lists with him a few times before the tourney though but prolly nothing for a few weeks.

Well that is the basics of the armies so any suggestions or critiques or whatever would really help and be appreciated.

pratty
02-12-2009, 23:43
I'm a TK player not VC but i though the idea was to take small units of zombies or skeletons and then bulk them up during the fight. Also I thought the general consensus was that ghouls are amazing and should be taken over other core, you could raise zombies during the fight if you wish because you a lot of magic with the 2 liche priests so you should be able to get the spells off.

For the TK drop the light horsemen they aren't particularly good, I realise they are a unit for the mounted liche but it is very limited protection and your better putting those points elsehwere.
Seeing as vampires can cast vanhels on TK units you could even drop a priest because you have a lot of magic and the VC casters are less fragile, with the points take a scorpion possibly the TK best unit or something of your choosing

Lightdrow
03-12-2009, 00:05
ok well look at it this way for the ghouls. I take 2 units of 10 ghouls for the same price as 20 zombies. That and the fact that with this I cant actually raise the ghouls above starting, which is usually what people do they take the power on the vampire that gives them the ability to raise ghouls above starting. I cant get the points to get that ability and 2 10 man squads of ghouls is pretty small cannon fodder. The Zombies are easier to handle and I can raise allot more of them. If I take ghouls and try to raise zombies in the middle of the battle then thats a turn that im not healing the ghoul and they would die. I really need the tarpit ability of the zombies and the rank bonus they confer.

As for the TK's he needs his spell casting from both spell casters for this army and he really likes his light horsemen, he always takes them and is actually really good at using them to screen or shoot and whatnot.

Thanks for the input though I like people opposing the lists so I can see what people think is the downfall of the lists and I can also throw my input back to see if people think I have a pretty good workaround.

Enigmatik1
03-12-2009, 03:53
The only thing I'd probably do is drop Big Bone and run a Casket of Souls.

Oh wait...I see what you did there. Helm of Command + Van Hels on a Bone Giant, eh? ROFLMAO! Nevermind, carry on. You have successfully found the only way to make him actually worth his points!

/salute

Lightdrow
03-12-2009, 04:14
lol, thanks.

Lightdrow
05-12-2009, 12:43
here is what is signed up for the tourney so far.

Established Teams:
(High Elves and Lizardmen)
(Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings) - Me and My friend
(Skaven and Daemons or Ogres)
(Warriors of Chaos and Daemons)
(Dwarves and Empire)

Those Interested in Tournment but no team yet:
(high elves)
(norse if allowed)
(Lizardmen or Night Goblins)
(Wood Elves or Ogres)

Lightdrow
10-12-2009, 18:42
dont suppose anyone else has some input do they?

RichBlake
10-12-2009, 19:07
How were you planning on dealing with the inevitable steam tank?

If the dwarf and empire player know whats sensible the Dwarf will take a cannon or two and the Empire player will take a Stank.

What will happen then is the bone giant will be blown to little pieces and the Stank will squish the Blood Knights. After that the Steam Tank will be able to just run around and practically kill every other unit in that list, the only thing that will even stand a chance of stopping it is the Vampire.

The main reason I'm saying this is just so you understand that the Empire/Dwarf combo will probably make short work of the giant, you'll need to think about how you're dealing with warmachines.

Also don't blood knights need a minimum unit size of 5? EDIT: Never mind, now they don't

zeekill
10-12-2009, 19:28
So the basic idea is that...

...you both take the strongest things you can in your lists and decimate people using special rules such as "Unstoppable Assault" on the bone giant that was put in the TK book without having access to rerolls and then giving him rerolls using another army's magic.

Truthfully If I was running the tourney I would not allow TK and VC to cast their lore/incantations on another because it only makes sence (see pg 20 of TK Armybook: ...different from VC armies due to the diffrences in the magic animating them)

But I suppose it is a tourney and you want to take the biggest cheeze you can to it.

Enigmatik1
10-12-2009, 21:51
...you both take the strongest things you can in your lists and decimate people using special rules such as "Unstoppable Assault" on the bone giant that was put in the TK book without having access to rerolls and then giving him rerolls using another army's magic.

Truthfully If I was running the tourney I would not allow TK and VC to cast their lore/incantations on another because it only makes sence (see pg 20 of TK Armybook: ...different from VC armies due to the diffrences in the magic animating them)

But I suppose it is a tourney and you want to take the biggest cheeze you can to it.

C'mon, zeekill, don't be a killjoy! Let Big Bone look good even if it is only once a century. ;)

fall3nang3l
12-12-2009, 10:18
How were you planning on dealing with the inevitable steam tank?

If the dwarf and empire player know whats sensible the Dwarf will take a cannon or two and the Empire player will take a Stank.

300 point steam tank in a 750 point list??

where is your necromancer going? lone character?

your general seems very vulnerable with just a helsteed but ive never run one so i guess with clever positioning it could be worth it.

Lightdrow
12-12-2009, 20:32
I guess after looking around I think I like something like this a bit and I think we are going to try it out when I get back down to where my friend lives for winter break.

Vampire (Dark Acolyte, Book of Arkhan, Nightmare) - 173
Vampire (Dark Acolyte, Ghoul Summoner,The Black Periapt, Nightmare) - 153

Crypt Ghouls (15) - 120
Crypt Ghouls (15) - 120

Black Knights (Barding) (6) - 168

Liche Priest (Cloak of the Dunes, Hieratic Jar) - 160
Liche Priest (Dispel Scroll, Skeletal Steed) - 148

Skeleton Warriors (Bows) (10) - 80
Skeleton Warriors (Bows) (10) - 80

Tomb Scorpion - 85
Tomb Scorpion - 85

Screaming Skull Catapult (Skulls of the Foe) - 110

Something I also thought about was taking the barding off of the back knights and giving the other vampire Avatar of Death and maybe running him in the unit of black knights or at least running next to them and charging the same unit that they charge. I think he might do ALLOT of damage with a great weapon and always strikes first from VDM.

Nathangonmad
12-12-2009, 21:44
To be honest I liked your first list much better. Take that, seriously. Its allot stronger. If you changed those zombies into ghouls and dropped avatar of death and the hellsteedfor flayed hauberke and summon ghouls. Now that army I would be scared of.

Enigmatik1
12-12-2009, 23:15
Nevermind...I was going to ask a question but found the answer.

Lightdrow
16-12-2009, 21:02
ok so after hammering it out a little here us what I have

Vampire (Dark Acolyte, Ghoul Summoner,The Black Periapt, Flayed Hauberk) - 185

Crypt Ghouls (Crypt Ghast) (12) - 104
Crypt Ghouls (Crypt Ghast) (15) - 128

Black Knights (Barding, Hell Knight, Banner) (5) - 156
- Attached here Vampire (Dread Knight, Book of Arkhan) - 160