PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Guard Heavy Weapons Sprue

The Marshel
03-12-2009, 11:07
Hey, looking for pictures of the sprue for imperial guard heavy weapon teams. Would like to be able to see how many heavy weapon teams i could realistically get out of it given the bits i have available, but can't seem to find any pictures on the net.

Kurisu313
03-12-2009, 11:12
You can make two heavy weapons per team due to the fact that you get one tripod (for lascannons, autocannons and heavy bolters) and one bipod (for mortars and missile launchers) per weapon team. You can then buy some regular infantrymen to be loaders.

If you are able to craft your own bipods/tripods, then theoretically you could make one of each heavy weapon per team.

The Marshel
03-12-2009, 11:16
I do actually have a spare bi pod, but what i'm more interested in is the loaders. is there only enough bits for 2? are there enough bits for 2 minus torso and heads?

grissom2006
03-12-2009, 11:43
You don't realling need the Bipod except for the Mortar the Missile Launcher can be done without it. The other weapons would need proping up onto something sandbags a wall or a new tripod made of brass wire. If your good at modelling everything in the box can be used.

chadenej
03-12-2009, 11:50
iirc you got on each sprue :
- weapons sprue : lascannon, autocannon, mortar, missile launcher, h. bolter, tripod, bipod
- guards sprue : everything to make up to 2 kneeling guardsmen.

So theorically you are limited by the number of kneeled legs.
If you managed to spare normal leg you can double the number of h. weapon teams : one tripod based team and one bipod based team. You can even make the missile launcher team standing, no need for bipod.

marv335
03-12-2009, 12:20
you can make decent looking standing missile launcher teams quite easily.

Bunnahabhain
03-12-2009, 12:24
You can make 5 heavy weapons per sprue, ie all of them.

Missile launcher on shoulder, no need for bipod or kneeling legs. Or the second crewman, or a base larger than 25mm.

Mortar on bipod, crew standing, no need for kneeling legs. Or make up a sandbagged mortar pit, with a bit of camo netting over the top. Don't even need the bipod then..

Lascannon, Heavy bolter and Autocannon. All need a tripod or other support. I tend to put the lascannons on tripods as it looks the heaviest, with kneeling gunners, and as for the others...
Build up some scenery on the base. Ruins, sandbags, ammo crates, rocks, etc, etc. Just make it high enough to support the gun. You can have gunners who are prone, kneeling or standing, depending on the height of the cover you build for them.
Another good looking thing can be to put a bipod near the front of the heavy bolter.

You can also not have them firing at all. Try the gunner running with the weapon, and the loader with ammo in both hands.

Your only limit is imagination, and the number of spare guardsmen you have. Always have spare guardsmen, so when you are struck by inspiration for conversions, you have the basis to hand....

meno1
03-12-2009, 13:10
I totally agree with Bunnahabhain. The sprue is limited with only two kneeling legs, but who needs kneeling legs? The amount of heavy weapons you can make is only limited by your imagination and amount of GS/BS.

I myself am using all the heavy weapons, aside from the autocannons, which I've chopped down to make ripper guns, and the heavy bolters, which I've chopped and glued to make autocannons. Sounds silly, but it works.

borginator
03-12-2009, 14:31
Here are some pictures of the heavy weapons sprue.
The first pic is common in both Cadian and Catachan boxes.

I think the best thing to do is to use one kneeling set of legs for the gunner and a regular set of legs for the "spotter".

Here's an interesting article on converting Heavy Weapons teams from BLOS.
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2009/05/40k-hobby-converting-imperial-guard.html
Look at the gunner's legs in the picture above, it's a set of running legs from the Cadian shock troopers box.

freddieyu
03-12-2009, 14:42
If you have enough of them the lascannons can be used to convert your valkryie to be a vendetta..that's what I used for mine, and also magnetised so I can switch between a valk or a vendetta..

Sir_Turalyon
03-12-2009, 14:57
You can easily make generic tripod weapon team able of switching between autocannon and lascannon; that's one set of kneeling legs. Other set of kneeling legs and bipod can be used to make heavy bolter or mortar (then you can make standing crewman and converted bipod for mortat or lieing crewman for bolter). Then you can give missle launcher to regular standing Guardsman. So only real limit is autocannon and lascannon competing for tripod.

Starchild
03-12-2009, 15:04
I like to put the heavy weapons on 40mm bases, leaving the loader and gunner on separate 25mm bases... makes the lot easier to game with, and more flexible for weapon swaps.

meno1
03-12-2009, 23:29
Another thing to do is to have one man carrying the weapon, the loader covering him while he's vulnerable. If you ever read the Imperial Guard Black Library books, there's often men like this (such as "Try Again" Bragg of the Tanith First and Only), who are strong enough to operate heavy weapons on their own.

Also the portable version sounds great, one man carrying amunition the other carrying the weapon running to a new position.

UrielSynthesis
04-12-2009, 04:51
In World War II, the second man would be there to carry the tripod, since often it was heavier than the machine gun itself.

Jackmojo
04-12-2009, 05:05
I'm not sure if this is still the case, but the Basilisk box used to come with the gunners sprue to use as crewmen for the piece, so you can get 2 extra gunners per basilisk as well (or 18 extra gunners in my case...go apoc battery boxes!)

Jack

Eldoriath
04-12-2009, 10:45
I actually find it more convinient to have one of the crewmates standing in i e a lascannon team since this will give the model a better LOS over low objects. (They are treated as one model and LOS is drawn from the head/eyes and since I got two to pick from I can choose freely, just like you a free to choose which to draw LOS too.)

I know I could make more teams if I'd like and perhaps I will, but I have been satisfied with making all the mortar teams and some lascannons for the moment, using the heavy bolters for other vehicles. Considering making some autocannons teams, but I dunno.

Hrw-Amen
04-12-2009, 18:50
As others have stated, I've never used the bipod for themissile launchers a have always had them on standing guardsmen. I've used the bipod for the mortar teams, but have also used standing guardsmen. Then Lascannons with one of the guardsmen standing. This doubles the number of H/W teams you can make. I have not made up any autocannons yet, but this is more down to that I just have not got around to making a support in the form of a tripod or whatever yet. I was thinking of coming up with something akin to the FW Sabre platform? As for the heavy bolters, some hav been used on vehicles and other conversions, but there are loads left. I may make then up at some point though.

Jellicoe
04-12-2009, 20:14
I think I am right in saying that on the old guard tank accessory sprue there was a set of standing legs. I used those on my mortar teams to make standing observers so the kneeling chaps went just a little further