PDA

View Full Version : Ranking up Rat Ogres and Pack masters

Badbones777
03-12-2009, 17:28
Hey guys,

did do a search to see if this had already been answered as I have not long made the transition from 6th-7thed Skaven by buying the new book, but nothing came up from what I could see.

Basically, I am unsure as to if there is a certain way I'd have to rank up the models if I decided to try out larger units of Rogres.

For example do all the Rat Ogres go at the front and pack masters at the back, meaning that (with say 6 Rat Ogres and 4 packmasters) I would have to go:
O O O
O O O
P P P
P

Or could I (or indeed would it HAVE to be more like:
O O O
P P P
O O O
P ?

Another thing that I am not sure of is how to qualify for strength in numbers-would 3 PM's behind 3 RO's count as a complete rank, or would it have to be 6 (5 it was the rear rank)?

Thanks for any help everyone-I was never that fussed about using big blocks of Rogres in the last ed. but I would quite like to now, just not exactly sure about the whole ranking up thing! It's probably quite simple, the solution, but I have genuinely not been able to work it out form what I have read.

Cheers guys

Agoz
03-12-2009, 20:42
unless they have a new special rule with the new book, you need five models to make a rank, US isn't taken into account.

Badbones777
03-12-2009, 21:47
unless they have a new special rule with the new book, you need five models to make a rank, US isn't taken into account.

Hmmm hadn't thought of that for the Rat Ogres!-and given you'd need 10 PM's at the back of 5 Rogres to claim even a plus 1 rank bonus it's a bit of a thankless task to put such a unit together (and almost useless for them to have the SiN rule!)

Ah well-even so, is there a strict placement layout within the blocks, does anyone know, or can they rank up how you like?

Atrahasis
04-12-2009, 00:24
Any way you like.

nosferatu1001
04-12-2009, 00:35
Except for a Master Moulder, which is a unit champion and so must be placed at the front. This means you only need 4RO on the front to get 5 models.

Also note that packmasters dont ever count for rankbonus, as theyre scurrying to catch up....

Badbones777
07-12-2009, 16:47
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys-hectic weekend!

Cool, nice one guys-and thanks Nosferatu-completely forgot about that rule for the packmasters!

Hmm looks like I'll either have to have a lot of Rogres or forget about
my madmans dream of ranked up Moulder death beasts!

Agoz
07-12-2009, 18:31
I would advise forgetting about ranking em up, and spread the ogres between two or three units. at around... what, 250 or so points a rank? that's probably not the best use of points.

Badbones777
07-12-2009, 20:42
Yeah it is rather expensive-going the 2 units of no more than 4 route was how I tended to use 'em under the rules of the previous book-whenI got the new one
I thought that the (admittedly marginal) reduction in points cost and the more flexible way in which packmasters fit into the unit (i.e not needing/getting one per Rogre) might make one big unit a little more viable (and save me a tasty special slot!)

I'll probably give it a whirl at some point, but get a few games under my belt with the new book before trying anything too different!