PDA

View Full Version : Caradryan - best way to use him?

Crazydu
04-12-2009, 23:14
I will be using Caradryan for the first time in my High Elf Army shortly, and wondered if anyone had any bright ideas of how to use him most effectively? I will have 1550 points in my army, and it's against Warriors of Chaos. My opponent will also be reading this to see what people suggest no doubt but it's still worth asking :D

Dungeon_Lawyer
04-12-2009, 23:18
Put him in a unit of phoenix guard of course! He is one of the best hero level special characters in the game. If I were you I would look for some sort of magic banner for your PG that creates some sort of synergy withh cradryan abilities--I dont believe that magic resistence stacks however, so it would be pointless to have him in a unit (with a banner or another lords/hero) that also has MR......I think that is prob his best power, Now watch your opponent go zero magic on you....

If he's going to die-- make sure its in close combat to a multiple wound enemy!

sulla
04-12-2009, 23:46
Put him in a unit of white lions or swordmasters. His MR3 protects them from all but the most powerful magic and becasue he casues fear, they don't have to buy the banner.

Sadly Caradryel works best in a non phoenix guard unit and korhil works best in a non white lion unit...

Another good use is as a bodyguard for teclis.

Havock
04-12-2009, 23:47
Funnily enough, Caradryan and Korhil are best outside their 'thematic unit'.

Korhil could add the ability to actually hurt something to a unit of phoenix guard, as wel as making the lot of them stubborn whereas caradryan can help the lions in the magic defense department as well as taking on nasty characters: either you win and he dies, or you lose and he dies :')

*edit*
Damn ninja.

Tarian
05-12-2009, 04:09
I call him "Captain Explody" for a reason... his sole job the few times I've fielded him were to intercept the big nasty (tm) character on the other side, and do a spectacular job dying all over them.

Brady
05-12-2009, 08:42
Its simple, charge him into the biggest most expensive multi wound unit on the board, hes tough enough to actually survive most things and remember he still gets plus one to his strength cos the blade is still a halberd. and if he dies then the man that killed him will die to!

AussieSocks
05-12-2009, 09:23
Caradryan + Steed of shadows :)

Pretty cool way to kill a dragon or shaggoth (Hellcannon?) imho, but i wouldn't rely on it.

Try and set him up in front of their knight unit, in order to cancel out the fear. (4up ward will halt some knights for a little while too)

Beast cowers will also be good to pin monsters (knights/ chariots/ manticores/ dragons) in place to kamikaze caradryan.

Maybe attach him to a repeater bolt thrower, he could kill off a harrassment (sp?) unit of marauder horse or dogs by himself.

Remember, if your opponent tries to send an unmounted character at him (to avoid phoenix blade) you can use vaul's unmaking to bring him down to an even(ish) playing field.

Vaul's unmaking (and it's bound item equivalent) will be fundamental in killing of runeshields or crimson armour (that will protect them from phoenix blade) and maybe another forum member could come up with a way to provide re-rolls to mark of asuryan? (i don't think lore of heavens spells work but there must be a way to make it more reliable)

Ward saves are a valid option for you're chaos opponent so try to kill of any ward saves with spells first.

Lore of Light to drop their weaponskill down to 1?

I sadly think Bear's Anger might cancel phoenix blade so that's a bad idea.

A hero next to him with the healing potion might be funny :)

PARTYCHICORITA
05-12-2009, 16:16
A couple of things:

Maybe attach him to a repeater bolt thrower, he could kill off a harrassment (sp?) unit of marauder horse or dogs by himself.

With only 3A S5 i think he will have a hard time doing so, a bad roll and u may even lose him when the crew gets trashed. Don't forget the D3 wounds only works vs models with multiple wounds

and maybe another forum member could come up with a way to provide re-rolls to mark of asuryan? (i don't think lore of heavens spells work but there must be a way to make it more reliable)
Correct, Lore of heavens does not work. I'm pretty sure there are no ways to give rerolls to that rule.

I sadly think Bear's Anger might cancel phoenix blade so that's a bad idea.
Correct, bear's anger can not be convine with weapons

I have a question: If CAradryan dies while in challenge, do wounds cause by his curse count towards Combat Resolution?

enyoss
05-12-2009, 17:25
Ok, I'll chip in with a question about balance.

I've never used Caradryan myself (I'm not a huge special character lover), but from reading these boards I get the idea that he is slightly too tough for his points, especially when in a unit of White Lions. What's more, I get the feeling that doing the old Korhil-Caradryan switcharoo (each in the other's thematic unit) might be deemed, well, unsporting?

Does anyone have an opinion on this? I'd particularly like to hear from non-HE players, as I know how biased you pointy lovers get (any comments are welcome though!) :D.

I'd quite like to try Caradryan out, but I'd rather not have the uproar that happened when Teclis came to the table!

Tarian
05-12-2009, 17:29
I think it's a bit cheeky, (though I don't like Special Characters personally) His only saving grace is ASF and the Ward Save, because a 5+ AS is not cutting it against things for a T3 character. He's a good character, but hardly "ZOMG, Teclis" bad.

Crazydu
05-12-2009, 19:34
It's a campaign battle so I am trying out different combinations for each of my banners (you would have to read Selones campaign thread in the battle reports for all the detail).
I have Caradryan and a Mage for this fight, and as I said at the start, I have never tried him before. I have only been playing warhammer since earlier this year so it's not like I know what I am doing much and am deliberately trying to be evil :evilgrin:
Considering I am playing a WoC player who knows all the books and all the rules and very seldom loses, he will know way more than me what I should be doing anyway!

Thank you for the suggestions from people, we shall see how it goes :D

sulla
05-12-2009, 22:44
I've never used Caradryan myself (I'm not a huge special character lover), but from reading these boards I get the idea that he is slightly too tough for his points, especially when in a unit of White Lions. What's more, I get the feeling that doing the old Korhil-Caradryan switcharoo (each in the other's thematic unit) might be deemed, well, unsporting?

Does anyone have an opinion on this? I'd particularly like to hear from non-HE players, as I know how biased you pointy lovers get (any comments are welcome though!) :D.

I'd quite like to try Caradryan out, but I'd rather not have the uproar that happened when Teclis came to the table!Firstly, in your favour when bringing him, he is only a foot character with t3 and s5, so his influence is limited. With only the standard 3 attacks of a hero, he can fail to kill a chaos knight or any old chariot before being cut down in return, let alone fighting vs an enemy hero, who may have armoue and a ward. Having said that, there are very few fighter heroes on foot you can make in the HE book to rival him (mounted is another story, there are several better choices there).

The only cheese about him is thematic cheese, as in using the captain of the phoenix guard, who cannot speak, as your army's general, or to lead a non-PG unit.

I say give him a go, but expect to be mocked if he leads the white lions or swordmasters. ;)

selone
06-12-2009, 00:52
It's true korhil and caradyn are betetr in their 'switched units' but thats not the worst thing in the world. Caradyn isn't too bad in sword masters and he is very good in white lions but I don't really begrudge the High elf army that.

He is a very good support character (fear and MR 3) and quite good at challenging enemy characters and either hoping his 3 S5 flaming wounds (d3 against a lot of chars) will kill the enemy char or they'll kill themselves on killing him. He's not massively great at killing Rn'F though.

I don't mind him at all, as for his points he isn't outrageous merely a good support character to either a) makes sure your fighty unit gets into combat with MR3 or b) your unit of white lions can now bog down fear causing enemies, which they can't do at all currently.