PDA

View Full Version : Slayer Champion Technicality

zeekill
04-12-2009, 23:27
So an enemy charges into my unit of slayers, which has 6 of them upgraded to giant slayers. I run them 7 wide like this:

s=Slayer c=Champion

cccsccc
sssssss
sssssss

Now normally you must say "I am allocating these attacks to your champion" in order to attack the champion. If he just says nothing, you are to assume all attacks are at rank&file models. Therefore even if he kills 7 models when he charges, I would still be able to attack with all 6 of my champions back.

Now I know that this is a very very nasty and mean to do but its just something I want to do to a certain player that constantly tries to bend the rules to his advantage, give him a taste of his own medicine, you know? Hopefully he will see how it feels and stop.

So would this technically be legal because normally a champion can always attack if he is not dead?

If not is there anything else I could do in a similar way? I really want this guy, like I said, to have a taste of his own medicine.

Bac5665
04-12-2009, 23:35
Your're right that champs that are alive always swing back, but I'm pretty sure that models in B2B only with camps must attack champs in come way.

theunwantedbeing
04-12-2009, 23:46
Nope, what your doing there is totally illegal.

Attacks must be allocated.
You cannot attack a model that isnt in base contact with you (few exceptions of courss).

So in actual fact, any model only in contact with slayer champions will be assumed to attack slayer champions.
Although you are correct in assuming that any models in base contact with a normal slayer will attack the normal slayers.

So in the case of 20mm base models, thats 3, in the case of bigger base models that usually 2, possibly just 1 in some situations.

I find myself reminding people of this rule of not being able to attack models your not in base contact with over and over......(in real life).

No you may not attack my rank and file models with that model on the corner who is only in base contact with my lord.
No you may not attack with all 6 horses, you just butchered most of the unit and there's only 1 guy left, you only get 3 horse attacks not 6......
yadda yadda

Easy rule to forget it seems.

What things does that certain person say about the rules that he tries to bend?
He may well be bending them too far and breaking them.

zeekill
04-12-2009, 23:48
So what if I do this?

ccscscc
sssssss

Therefore the enemy "e" will be in B2B with at least 1 slayer, assuming he is on 20x20 mm bases:

.eeeee
ccscscc

theunwantedbeing
04-12-2009, 23:52
If he doesnt allocate then yes, assume to be attacking regular slayers.
Thats rather sneaky.

zeekill
05-12-2009, 00:03
What things does that certain person say about the rules that he tries to bend?
He may well be bending them too far and breaking them.

He does things that end in him sorta cheating, though the move is technically legal, and would be perfectly acceptable if it happened accidentally, but he does it on purpose. He plays Dwarves, Skaven, and Lizardmen.

I will name the two biggest ones as the others I cant really remember at the moment.

Under/over guessing with guess weapons so he hits units that he normally would not be able to target. (Like ones that are out of LoS or in combat).

Targeting a close unit with his salamanders or warp fire throwers, knowing that the roll on his artillery dice will probably make the template move over in a straight line about 6-10" to a nearby combat and hit a bunch of my models which are in it. (Particularly annoying when I only have 1 or 2 models left before I lose a point of rank bonus, and I only lose the combat because I was 1 point behind him, fail my break test, and get killed.)

Chrysis
07-12-2009, 05:41
Don't champions and unit upgrades usually have to go in the middle of the front rank? That would make this sort of play a lot more difficult.

hill9969
07-12-2009, 05:59
As far as I am aware of the rule there is no specific position that 'characters' or standard bearers have to be in - except they have to be in the front rank if possible.

jaxom
07-12-2009, 06:57
They are certainly not required to be in the middle or a corner or anywhere specific in the front rank. In fact, it is common to *move* them around the front rank specifically to force or avoid charges, challenges and attacks.

stashman
08-12-2009, 14:26
Five wide like this with 3 champs. All 5 attacking opponents can hit ordinary slayer. Then hit back with 3 champs

cscsc

nosferatu1001
08-12-2009, 14:59
Zeekil - the first, over/under guessing, is definitely cheating - this has been covered before.

The second is not cheating, as long as you declare a legal target you have no control over the unmber rolled- a number of times I've hoped for a 2 or 4" roll on the artillery dice, but known if i roll higher I will still hit something. That just means dont allow him to set up shots like that - think further ahead :D