PDA

View Full Version : wanting to start tau

dark angel
28-01-2006, 11:51
hi

ive seen the new tau box set and im thinking of getting it my only problem is i hate kroot and the vespids.so i was wondring if i could play an all tau army.this ary will include a manta when they come out and all the forge world goddies and will come to about 10,000 points when im finished.so all im asking is an all tau army effictive?

Sybaronde
28-01-2006, 12:26
In the current codex, a purist Tau cadre is not suffering any particular set-backs. It's perfectly doable. I doubt they would change that in the upcoming codex.

eholan
28-01-2006, 12:32
All Tau is definitely a good time and is normally no less powerful due to a lack of kroot. I had the same idea and was totally satisfied with the results. You will end up with more S5 shots than you know what to do with if you limit the number of battlesuits. If you really like the battle suits they only make the army stronger. There are so many fun tactics that you can use when you start getting more into marker lights and seeker missles and limiting the whole 'firing line' mentality. Have fun with it.

Luke
28-01-2006, 12:35
my brother regularly hands me my backside using an all tau force. they even have their odd moments of success in combat too.

Scythe
28-01-2006, 12:50
Having skimmed trough the new codex, I can say that Tau only even got slightly more effective. Reset point values, more options for battlesuits etc, it should definitely work, altough you always lose a bit flexibility compared to the entire list of course.

dethray
28-01-2006, 12:58
hi

ive seen the new tau box set and im thinking of getting it my only problem is i hate kroot and the vespids.so i was wondring if i could play an all tau army.this ary will include a manta when they come out and all the forge world goddies and will come to about 10,000 points when im finished.so all im asking is an all tau army effictive?

Personally I find an all-Tau list to be fairly effective; you won't lose out much for not taking the Kroot or Vespid, although I do find them fairly good for the points (as far as Kroot are concerned).

T0nkaTruckDriver
28-01-2006, 16:13
Without cheap Kroot units to push back infiltrators you'll suffer against heavy infiltrating assault armies like Kroot Mercs and Alpha Legion.

Scythe
28-01-2006, 23:10
Depends... If your army is mobile enough, you could even avoid an infiltrating army. But is is true of course that you are limiting your options. It is however far from unplayable.

athamas
29-01-2006, 02:59
All tau is very playable, most infiltrating choices tend to be some what lacking in armour, thus mosy tau weapontry can make light work of them [rail gun submunition on SM scouts is V nasty.. etc]

the only proble is that you do replace all the krrot units cost with crisis suits, and with the additon of the vespids it will be highly tempting to take them, as they have elusive AP3 weaponry, but then so do the loverly new sniper teams,

they are a highly effective army, and its always good to see more tau!

Scythe
29-01-2006, 13:29
Not sure about the Vespids yet... They hit very hard, but flak armour isn't really survivable either. Altough Ork toughness does help.