PDA

View Full Version : how to represent celtic, norse mythical armies

The Anarchist
05-12-2009, 21:08
if you wanted to do a Celtic themed army, or Scandinavian norse legends army which army do you think would best represent the myths.

i would love to get some valkyries, Lugh and Nudda, I'm a big fan of my mythology and due to more widespread reading now other than Mediterranean want to see if can represent the Celtic and northern European myths on the table.

I have used wood elves before with some high elves to do alot of Creek and or roman figures. so would rather not use woodies again.

chaos0xomega
05-12-2009, 21:30
Well, norse seems pretty straightforward.... chaos warriors.

Dyrnwyn
05-12-2009, 22:35
For the Celtic thing, it'd depend on the type of legends you were trying to represent. For generic Fair Folk and Fae, Wood Elves are perfect as-is. Dryads can techinically be any critter you can think of, and Treekin and Treemen can be repurposed.

For incredible warriors a la The Tain, then Chaos Warriors probably fit best, especially with Cucullainn's riastradh resembling a temporary chaos gift.

Not sure what army would best fit with the Book of Invasions though. I'd guess Ogres if you wanted to run Fomorians and High Elves for Tuatha de Danann, but neither is a particularly good fit.

Leogun_91
05-12-2009, 22:55
Dwarfs maybe.....they are short bearded vikings with guns but it's not hard to draw celt paralels or do them in a celt style if one wishes.

Condottiere
06-12-2009, 01:09
Your options aren't limited, by any means, even if a little remodelling is necessary.

Valkyrie have Pegasi, so the first thing that comes to mind is actually Bretonnia - unfortunately, the armour doesn't suit the theme, and the heavy over emphasise on Cavalry plus lacklustre infantry ruins that idea. High Elves might work, replacing Eagle mounts with Pegasi, and Dragon ones, with Sleipnir. The Lion Chariot can have it's mounts replaced by Goats.

Red Metal
06-12-2009, 01:40
Chaos Marauders for basic infantry/cavalry.

Mordheim Sisters of Battle or DE Witch Elves (with some modding) for Valkyrie. Wings could come from a variety of sources - GW, Reaper, etc.

Dryads for most types of woodland creature - Nymphs, Fey, etc.

Chiron
06-12-2009, 01:44
Depends what legends your planning to do really. I went with a more realistic celtic theme for fantasy (if there is such a thing considering its an army of walking dead) so focussed on converting skelies to look more celtic than anything fantastic

The Bulls of Celtic myth could be represented by Minotaurs (scorpions? giants?) while a Cauldron provides me with a suitable alternative to a Casket of Souls. You could use the Albion or Maruader giants to represent Firbolg or the Dagda (bone giant?)

I represent the Hounds of Cwn Anywn with some tweaked wolves from the Gobbo Wolf Riders kit, paint em white and give em red ears and your good, make fine Carrion.

Briohmar
06-12-2009, 01:59
Empire would also work for the majority. Contrary to many popular images, the principle weapons of the bondi were spears and bows, thus, Marauders are not the best choice. The Huscarls with great axes lend themselves easily to greatswords. Characters would all be armored, except for Shamans/Druids, who would be your best choice for mages. Hand weapon/shield swordsmen could be militia and/or swordsmen. It would be pretty short of warmachines and crossbows/handguns but it would make a great older (pre-blackpowder) Empire army.

Schmapdi
06-12-2009, 02:33
Why not just buy historical celts/norsemen minis and then use whatever rules you please?

launo
06-12-2009, 04:38
Why not just buy historical celts/norsemen minis and then use whatever rules you please?

Yeah why answer the question with ideas. Sort it out yourself. What is this some sort of board for discussions?

06-12-2009, 06:28
use the chaos marauder models, then use green stuff to make kilts.

Azethel
06-12-2009, 09:06
I think Beastmen would possibly make a good fit for Celts/gaels with skirmishing hordes...Celt mythos also has the recurring boar theme so tuskgors/tuskgor chariots could be used. Fomorians were also said to have the body of a man and the head of a goat so maybe goat headed minotaurs to represent them? The more I think about it the more I kinda want to start an army.

As for celt minis, if you dont have to go GW (for tourneys etc.) then there are several celt ranges including the very nice looking oop rackham "Kelt Sessairs".

Beastmen do have a new book coming out in Feb too!

Whitwort Stormbringer
06-12-2009, 18:49
For norse warriors, if you're set on using GW models, one idea which I've done before is to use marauder bodies with 6th ed. dwarf heads. You can use some dwarf weapons, too, to make them look a little less chaotic.

Ruleswise I'm really not sure - what norse factions from mythology did you want to represent?

ZeroTwentythree
06-12-2009, 19:26

Yeah why answer the question with ideas. Sort it out yourself. What is this some sort of board for discussions?

Isn't that exactly what Schmapdi just did : Give an alternate answer/idea? :confused:

Looking at historical miniatures was my first thought, too. Especially since there are now a few manufacturers producing plastic Celts, Vikings, etc. to use for human (or human-ish) figures & chariots. (Look up Wargames Factory and Warlord Games.)

There have been a couple of other companies who have done Celtic myth based games. Alternative Armies had one (forget the name), Celtos was another. They had some non-human figures in their range.

As far as which rules to use, I think there have already been a lot of good ideas. But as others have pointed out, a lot of it depends on what, specifically, you're looking to represent.

TheMav80
06-12-2009, 23:27
I would use Beastmen. I think they fit perfectly.

Not the greatest army book out there right now, but it is getting updated in a few months.

Slayerthane
15-12-2009, 23:04
Dogs of War are another option with pikemen, norse marauders, ogres, giants. There's a regiment of renown from Albion and one from Norsca which could add to the theme as well.

Beastmen from what I've heard are modelled off the barbarian tribes who fought against the Roman Empire, particularly the Germanic Tribes, but could also be Celts.

For a Viking army, I would probably go with either Warriors of Chaos or an Ulric themed empire army. I second using marauder bodies and 6th ed. dwarf heads for foot troops.

Wood Elves would be another possibility for Celts, again depending on which part of folklore you want to base your army off of.

Finally I plan on doing a tomb kings army with a Gaulic theme, which I think could work as well but that's just me.

ChaosVC
16-12-2009, 03:44
To be honest, I believe you already know that peope are going to suggest Chaos warriors or beast man. So I am really looking forward to what you will finally decide to use and the out come of the conversion and painted figures.

kdh88
16-12-2009, 05:37
How about DE? Warriors for bondi w/ spears, Executioners for huskarls, Assassins/death hags for beserkers, and sorceresses on a dark pegasuses (pegasi?) for valkyries. You could even do the hydra as a swarm of Jörmungandr's offspring.

~Aura~
16-12-2009, 06:23
Have a look here, a cool Norse army that uses Marauder/Warrior models for it's core and some awesome stuff for it's other units.

http://rajdhillon.forumup.ca/about2035-0-rajdhillon.html

Scroll down past the first post and there's some more Norse heroes and some chariots.

Chiron
16-12-2009, 12:12
Finally I plan on doing a tomb kings army with a Gaulic theme, which I think could work as well but that's just me.

Worked fine for me *coughs*

When the new Beastmen come out I think I'll be using them for Scorpion conversions I think, undead bulls will look fairly cool

warhawk95
16-12-2009, 15:46
This guy did a wood elf celtic army using a different kind of minitures. It looks pretty good and he did his own fluff too. Link:

http://www.warpuppy.com/a50/Episode-23-My-Wood-Elf-Army/article_info.html?CDpath=1

Hope that helps.

Draxas
17-12-2009, 01:10
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Warriors of Rohan for use in a viking style army.

Condottiere
17-12-2009, 01:39
"Aren't you a little short for a Viking?"

The Red Scourge
17-12-2009, 05:37
Valkyrie have Pegasi

This is a first for me. Flying horses perhaps, but winged ones thats pure fantasy, a product of a drug addled fantasy artists deluded mind :)

Winged horses. Quite frankly I find the whole concept offensive ;)

ChaosVC
17-12-2009, 05:40
How about pigs in space?

Slayerthane
17-12-2009, 22:59
I think the problem with LOTR models is that they are a slightly smaller scale although I've played against fantasy armies using these models before. If you're not opposed to these models, they could work.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat150061a&prodId=prod1070156

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat150061a&prodId=prod1070150

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat150066a&prodId=prod1070068

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat150077a&prodId=prod1130350

I especially like the Dunlending warriors as Vikings. They really fit the part.