PDA

View Full Version : The Oath Stone

zeekill
06-12-2009, 17:28
So I've heard alot of good and bad things about the oath stone and I'm wondering if I should take it. So just vote in the poll above.

danny-d-b
06-12-2009, 18:17
NO

just don't

seriously dwarfs have some great flank protection in organ guns, hammers and slayers, and don't need to immobilizes one of there other blocks to protect there flanks

Ramius4
06-12-2009, 18:27
Setting the Oathstone is an OPTION. You're not stuck where you deploy.

In addition, it's 20 measly points. For MR (1), which typically costs 15 points per MR. So for 5 points over that you've got a really incredible option.

I've had several games now where Oathstones have saved units on the last couple turns of the game, and in one instance flat out won the game for me.

Patience is a virtue with Oathstones. Near the end of the game when having your unit be mobile is less of an issue with Dwarves is ideally when you're actually going to set the stone. Do I end up setting down every Oathstone I bring to battle? No. It is situational, as many things are. Be smart about them and I guarantee you'll begin to see the value on your own.

explorator
06-12-2009, 19:48
Thank you Ramius4. Most people that are harshly critical of the Oath Stone seem unaware of its specific rules. MR 1 is automatic, and that is 15 points alone, so for a measly 5 points Dwarfs get the option of setting the stone. The stone may be set as part of any hold reaction to a charge, meaning it may be set by a unit in combat that is charged in the flanks/rear in later turns. Nice option that most armies would pay dearly for.

In almost any other army Oath Stone equivalents would be an auto-choice, and every list would have at least one. Yes, there is a down-side, but the inability to move again is much better than breaking to a flank or rear charge.

snottlebocket
06-12-2009, 20:35
I like them when I have the points. Magic resistance 1 is perfectly nice, especially with all the dispell dice you already get as a dwarf. The charge reaction is only the icing on the cake.

Most days you won't need it if your army works well, but occasionally it can prevent your expensive dwarf block from being wiped out. You pay a ton of points for those expensive infantry blocks, if by chance you do get flanked by something nasty, it's nice to have a last ditch failsafe to prevent the unit from being destroyed.

You'll probably only need one anyway. Slayers don't need them, hammerers won't need them, the almost mandatory block of warriors won't really need them considering they'll be sandwiched between stubborn / unbreakable units. They're a good option for blocks that you expect to be out of position sooner or later. Like the fully ranked unit of longbeard rangers I occasionally use. Last week the rangers got stranded right in the enemy deployment zone when the anvil fluffed it's roll and left them there instead of making them charge. It was really nice to have an oathstone when the unit got charged from 3 sides at once.

Dungeon_Lawyer
06-12-2009, 20:40
the stategic use of oathstones cost me the game against dwarfs in the last tourney I played in--I think for what you get Oathstones are worth their weight in gold

Ramius4
06-12-2009, 20:46
Like the fully ranked unit of longbeard rangers I occasionally use. Last week the rangers got stranded right in the enemy deployment zone when the anvil fluffed it's roll and left them there instead of making them charge. It was really nice to have an oathstone when the unit got charged from 3 sides at once.

Rangers may not have an Oathstone in the unit. Read the Oathstone rules.

Red Metal
06-12-2009, 22:16
+1 towards the Oathstone being worth it. Not entirely usable in all my lists, but the MR1 is too nice to pass up.

graymer
07-12-2009, 17:37
Great item.

It's in my tourney lists as of late.