13 black guard
roh
asf

master
pendant
HA shield
bsb
soulrender

just a quick one, i have ued this as an anvil unit and they do suppprisingly well. ANyone else had any luck with it/ similar builds?

kraken
06-12-2009, 18:24
you were surprised

I'll bring the whine.........

chippyman64
06-12-2009, 18:26
Perhaps but in most de armies i seem to see units of 20+. I think the trick with it is that it is soo small (2x7) people under estimate it. Will be going in my tournament army

Falkman
06-12-2009, 18:32
Really easy to shoot down though.
Depends on what other threats you have in your army, if there are no other big juicy targets for shooting this unit is gonna disappear very fast.

Slashattack
06-12-2009, 18:42
I run 15 blackguard with the same combination except with armour of darkness on my bsb as the pendant is on my dragon. I run them in two ranks of 8 and they are amazing. Last game they killed 40 bloodletters, a khorne herald and Skulltaker, then were finished off by the bloodthirster. That unit is incredibly powerful, and is pure cheese. It will get you wins however if your gaming group isn't competitive like mine prepare to lose friends quickly. Its only weaknesses are impact hits, low casting value magic missles and gun fire.

Witchblade
06-12-2009, 19:00
Newsflash: black guard deathstars are broken.

If they are so great, why not run 20...

danny-d-b
07-12-2009, 10:43
I'd move the ring on to the master if possible- I mean I'd just throw burbus at you twise, (an on 2 dice so unlikely to miss cast) take out your champ, then I'd be to magic you to death

In other armys- rune of burning iron your champ then carry on as above

pratty
07-12-2009, 13:49
All DE elite infantry should be run 2x7 or 2x6 BG may be the only exception i sometimes run them 3x5 cos they can take it better than others, but other elites are flank charges units tied up by spearmen or BG

JonnyX
07-12-2009, 16:17
Once they get into combat they are amazing but getting them in combat is the main problem. First game I was very unimpressed with them as they got shot to pieces and simply died. Second game they were against 60 Chaos warriors, the blackguard may have died in the end but took alot more warriors with them.

I usually run 15 with ASF, Crimson death on tower master with a master using a Great weapon, pendent, DSC and Blood armor.

The reason i take almost full offensive equipment is that i always take a screening unit or a fast unit to tie up archers/casters (which i learned from first game) so chances are they will get into combat.

VeriNasti
08-12-2009, 07:55
18 with ASF, Crimson Death/Ring of Hotek. Works a charm every time.

EndlessBug
08-12-2009, 08:13
11, 13 or 17 with ASF and crimson death

With a master with Ring of Hotek, armour of darkness and a great weapon.

Guardian of the Rage
08-12-2009, 10:02
I never understand why more people don't put the ring of darkness in this unit, especially since you all clearly understand the concept of mitigating one's weaknesses; as demonstrated by the inclusion of the ring of Hotek. A friend of mine does this all the time and it works brilliantly as the combination of the 2 rings blocks out all weaknesses.

As Falkman suggests, such units are going to high on the target priority list for things like bolt throwers and even the lowly archers of this (old)world. If you are going to sink so much into the unit, i don't see why you wouldn't go the whole hog.

Kind regards,
GotR