PDA

View Full Version : Questions for IG?.....

zanzibar
07-12-2009, 01:28
Hey Guys, just played a game in our local battlebunker with my IG army and came accross a few glitches.

First of all when you purchase a medic and combine the platoon hq sqd with other infantry sqds, do all the guardsmen in the combined sqd get feel no pain? Or just the command sqd even though they are combined?

Second, my opponent disputed the ability for platoon command sqds to merge with infantry sqds of the same platoon to create combined sqds, is this possible? The wording of combined sqds in the codex is a little hazy.

Third, is it possible to use a lord commissar to automatically be attached to say an ogryn sqd in transport and in reserve or say a conscript sqd or do i have to merge the commissar during the game and not before?

Thanks for your time!

Vaktathi
07-12-2009, 01:37
Hey Guys, just played a game in our local battlebunker with my IG army and came accross a few glitches.

First of all when you purchase a medic and combine the platoon hq sqd with other infantry sqds, do all the guardsmen in the combined sqd get feel no pain? Or just the command sqd even though they are combined? The command squads cannot combine with other squads. The *only* squads that can combine are the Infantry squads, the 10man BS3 squads that can take 1 heavy and 1 special weapon. Only those squads can combine, not the command, special or heavy squads.

Second, my opponent disputed the ability for platoon command sqds to merge with infantry sqds of the same platoon to create combined sqds, is this possible? The wording of combined sqds in the codex is a little hazy. See above. It would be nice if this were not the case, as it leaves the PCS awfully vulnerable, but alas.

Third, is it possible to use a lord commissar to automatically be attached to say an ogryn sqd in transport and in reserve or say a conscript sqd or do i have to merge the commissar during the game and not before?
Yes, you can attach the Lord Commissar before the game begins, the attachment does not have to occur in game.

solkan
07-12-2009, 01:43
First question: Only Infantry Squads can combine together. An Infantry Squad cannot join together with a Command Squad.

Second question: Same answer as the first question. It says "... any Infantry Squad may join another Infantry Squad from the same platoon."

Third question: Independent characters can join units during deployment. This is not done using the "merging" mechanic described for Infantry Platoons. So "Yes, yes, and no" for this question.

SirSnipes
07-12-2009, 01:47
medic area waste anyway

yay t3 fnp

zanzibar
07-12-2009, 01:48
Thanks, when i asked the local staff member he said that you could combine Infantry SQDS with PCS and that this would incurr feel no pain on the combined sqd!
Thanks again.

freddieyu
07-12-2009, 03:00
that shows you that the store staff definitely aren't rules trolls

Imperius
07-12-2009, 04:44
Thanks, when i asked the local staff member he said that you could combine Infantry SQDS with PCS and that this would incurr feel no pain on the combined sqd!
Thanks again.

Hardly, I need my medic to keep sending orders to the guys who plunked themselves on the objective.

Culven
07-12-2009, 05:14
I like the idea of a Medic in a Squad with three Plasmaguns and an Officer with a Plasma Pistol. It will greatly reduce the chances of the squad members frying themselves with Gets Hot!. Stick them in a Chimera, and send them on their way.

And to the original questions, as others have said, the Platoon Command Squad isn't an Infantry Squad, and cannot be merged with them. Independant Characters may begin the game joined to another unit either by being Deployed in coherency or by being declared as such when declaring Reserves.

Epicenter
07-12-2009, 07:38
I wish you could combine Command Squads with medics into combined infantry squads. Then I'd do that all the time. It'd be glorious. I think I could probably sweep Orks off the field. Straken, a Commissar for stubborn...and 4+ saves on my guardsmen against melee attacks? Oh yes, those Orks would be cleansed.

Sadly, no.

Okay, so it'd mean nobody would ever take Rough Riders or Ogryn again and the Guard would be good at CC. So what. ;) Okay, maybe there's a balance problem there.

RichBlake
07-12-2009, 12:06
that shows you that the store staff definitely aren't rules trolls

No it shows the Staff are lazy and didn't actually read the codex. The wording is very specific, it uses the words "Infantry Squad" not "infantry squad" denoting very clearly it is on about the named unit, not squads of infantry in general.

There's a difference between arguing the toss over ambiguous wording, misplaced or missing grammar and other odd discrepancies and just reading the bloody rule.

If I found out about this and I was their manager they'd be due some ear ache. The staff aren't expected to be infallible but I would expect them to read the bloody rule they are asked about.

I wish you could combine Command Squads with medics into combined infantry squads. Then I'd do that all the time. It'd be glorious. I think I could probably sweep Orks off the field. Straken, a Commissar for stubborn...and 4+ saves on my guardsmen against melee attacks? Oh yes, those Orks would be cleansed.

Apart from even with misreading the Infantry Squads bit it still says "of the same platoon" so you couldn't take straken.

What you COULD do is have a squad of 55 guardsmen with FNP, stubborn LD 9 with 10 power swords and 2 power fists. THAT would be OP :P

sigur
07-12-2009, 13:09
To be fair, I wouldn't hold it against staff members if they didn't knew ALL rules for all armies from the top of their head. Just look it up in the codex.

freddieyu
07-12-2009, 13:30
Ah, but if they SUGGEST a tactic which is out of the rules to someone, of course the first thought would be to believe the staff...thus before he does so he better be sure he is correct!