PDA

View Full Version : WoC - Viable Marauder Model Replacement? BoC player input needed too.

-Epimetheus-
07-12-2009, 08:55
Okay. I hate the look of the Marauder models. However, Marauders are an incredibly useful part of the WoC book that I have been ignoring, due to my hatred of the models.

This got me thinking - What other models could I use instead......

Well, I dislike the Warhound models already, so I am going to use Wolves instead (the types that Goblin Wolf Riders use).

Along with that kind of theme, I started looking at the BoC models. Specifically, Gors and Centigors.

My plan for the Centigors is to do some minor converting, and turn the Spears into Flails. Easy, simple, and should look pretty good as a replacement for Marauder Horsemen. What are the opinions on this idea?

Now, the plan for the Gors would be make two different types of models from them. One would be Hand Weapon and Shield (probably from the Ungor models in the box), and count them as having Light Armour as well. The other would be Great Weapons (converted using the Spears), probably using the basic Gor part of the box.

With very little extra spare parts (read - none other than what come in the boxes.....), is this a viable idea? Also, what are opinions on this idea? Do they come on a different sized base than Marauders (meaning I would have to order bases)? Any unforeseen problems that may arise?

One thing I foresee as being a problem is that some players will be strict on what types of models I use. Frankly, if they care about that more than facing an army that has had some time and effort put into it, I don't think I would want to play them..... However, I don't see this as being a big issue, mainly because I do not plan in participating in tournaments, only friendly games.

Another problem I foresee is confusion about what is what. I will make sure that it is very clear what the models count as, that's a given, but I'm sure some people will mistake it. I don't think it would be too big of a deal however, because the models themselves should make a pretty good substitution.

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

jthdotcom
07-12-2009, 10:04
Well, I had this thought a while ago. Mine was along the lines of "how much stuff can I get, and use it as an army from WoC, and BoC?" so one set of models, 2 armies. I was thinking ungors for marauders, giving them flails from the normal marauder kit, bestigors as warriors, and centigors as marauder horse/knights. Centigors are very expensive to buy (35 for 5), so I was thinking of using Ogre bull bodies on normal horses, and giving them armour to use as knights. Unfortunately I didn't get round to doing any modelling because I heard about the new beast men stuff coming out in February, so decided to wait to see what comes out. As for will you be able to use it? Hell Yea!! Aslong as your opponent is aware of what represents what, it should be fine. And if they won't, then like you were saying, there not worth your time to play, play someone who can appreciate the time and effort you put in to making your army unique and your own

Azethel
07-12-2009, 12:42
I think that due to the lack of armour most people should not mistake what your gors or centigors count as. There is little else they could count as other than marauders.

The beastherd box comes with 12 gors and 8 ungors on 25mm bases (same as maras on foot). The hand weapon and shield ones will go together as normal but you may find it a little bit difficult to convert them to wielding great weapons. Not that hard, but it will probably be fiddly unless you source other arms.

I am using the current marauder models but have replaced all the arms and heads with those I had spare from the new horsemen kit. Makes them much better imo.

MarcoPollo
07-12-2009, 18:30
As an opponent, I really wouldn't care about the models as long as they were on 25mm bases. That being said, you could take models that would normally occur on 20 mm bases and put them on 25 mm bases. So empire models would do fine. Or even some elven models. In fact I use the witch elves command as my command for my marauders of slaanesh. They look cool and they set themselves apart from the marauders so they look like command models.

I also use these same models as my command for the demonettes in my demon army.

snottlebocket
07-12-2009, 18:32
Bretonian grail pilgrims make for good nurgle marauders. One of the models is a dead ringer for Festasmus. (the doctor sorceror?)

-Epimetheus-
07-12-2009, 20:37
Well, I had this thought a while ago. Mine was along the lines of "how much stuff can I get, and use it as an army from WoC, and BoC?" so one set of models, 2 armies. I was thinking ungors for marauders, giving them flails from the normal marauder kit, bestigors as warriors, and centigors as marauder horse/knights. Centigors are very expensive to buy (35 for 5), so I was thinking of using Ogre bull bodies on normal horses, and giving them armour to use as knights. Unfortunately I didn't get round to doing any modelling because I heard about the new beast men stuff coming out in February, so decided to wait to see what comes out. As for will you be able to use it? Hell Yea!! Aslong as your opponent is aware of what represents what, it should be fine. And if they won't, then like you were saying, there not worth your time to play, play someone who can appreciate the time and effort you put in to making your army unique and your own

Centigors are expensive, but this is something I plan on doing over a fairly long period of time, so that is not really an issue for me.

The idea of the Bull bodies is pretty neat though.

New BoC models in February? I guess I will wait as well then. Thanks for the heads up!

I think that due to the lack of armour most people should not mistake what your gors or centigors count as. There is little else they could count as other than marauders.

The beastherd box comes with 12 gors and 8 ungors on 25mm bases (same as maras on foot). The hand weapon and shield ones will go together as normal but you may find it a little bit difficult to convert them to wielding great weapons. Not that hard, but it will probably be fiddly unless you source other arms.

I am using the current marauder models but have replaced all the arms and heads with those I had spare from the new horsemen kit. Makes them much better imo.

Cool. I knew that there were 12 Gors and 8 Ungors in the box, but I was not sure about the size of the base.

I know it will be difficult to convert them into great weapons, but it was just an idea I had. I'm not completely sure what I am going to do to accomplish that yet.

Personally, I don't like the Marauder Horsemen models, or the Marauder models. That is why I was trying to find some replacement for them. The rest of my army has a "feral" theme to it, which is why I thought the Beastmen Gors would be a good fit.

As an opponent, I really wouldn't care about the models as long as they were on 25mm bases. That being said, you could take models that would normally occur on 20 mm bases and put them on 25 mm bases. So empire models would do fine. Or even some elven models. In fact I use the witch elves command as my command for my marauders of slaanesh. They look cool and they set themselves apart from the marauders so they look like command models.

I also use these same models as my command for the demonettes in my demon army.

Alright, I will definitely look at other sets of models for command units, among other purposes. Thanks for the idea.

Bretonian grail pilgrims make for good nurgle marauders. One of the models is a dead ringer for Festasmus. (the doctor sorceror?)

You mean Festus.

I did look at those models for being Marauders, however, I didn't like them. They are nice models, but they wouldn't fit the look I am trying to achieve with my army.

Thanks for the inputs guys. I am going to wait until February (this was an idea which would take at least a year to see fulfillment anyways.....) to see what comes out. Hopefully, some nice looking plastic Centigors :). Hey, I can dream, right?