PDA

View Full Version : Assorted 1000-1500 Skaven Lists

Nu Fenix
07-12-2009, 15:15
After reading many other army lists, as well as periodically adding input to some of them, I thought I would upload some of my own lists.

The lists are built on the principle of me testing my army, so certain combinations and/or units are avoided. This may be because I just don't like them, they don't fit the theme/feel of my army, or I have used them previously and want to try something else out instead.

Primarily I am a mix of Clan Moulder and Clan Pestilens, with other a slight hint of the others. This is seen predominantly in two unit types turning up in every list - Giant Rats and Plague Monks. They are the core of my army, with Giant Rats acting as replacements for Clanrats.

All of my lists are built upon what I own, not what I intend to try out. As such, none of my lists contain any Rare choices, due to not having any at this time. Therefore, when recommendations and opinions for the various lists are made, please take that into consideration.

The majority of the games I play are 1000 or 1500, and are played at a local GW on a 4'x4' board, with a varied amount of terrain. The bulk of us play for fun, not to a competitive/tournament standard, and you will see this in my lists.

List A - 1000pts
Priest, Lvl 2, Flail
Priest, Lvl 2, Flail
Priest, Lvl 2, Flail
20 Slaves
20 Slaves
20 Slaves
39 Giant Rats, 3 Packmasters
20 Plague Monks, Musician, Banner

7 Drops, 145 Models

This was my first or second list with my Skaven, and so in hindsight I see several flaws in it. Thankfully, the amount of models I have built has increased, in particular Packmasters, who were quickly shot.

List B - 1000pts
Priest, Pox Rat, Blade of Corruption, Rival Hide Talisman
Chieftain, Halberd, BSB, World's Edge Armour
Plague Priest, PCB, Shadow Magnet
20 Slaves
20 Slaves
38 Giant Rats, 4 Packmasters
13 Giant Rats, 2 Packmasters
8 PCBs
30 Plague Monks, Musician, Banner, Banner of the Under-Empire

7 Drops, 137 Models

For this game, I was going against a Wood Elf army, and because my opponent was new to Fantasy I did not want to use the Storm Banner. I also decided to be more minimal in my magic presence, and instead save the points for other items. The Pox Rat has always interested me as a concept, and means I can add more umph to the Giant Rats, however the magic items were of little use. Thankfully I didn't hit myself once, which was lucky.

List C - 1000pts
Priest, Lvl 2, Flail
Priest, Pox Rat, Lvl 2, Flail
Chieftain, Halberd, BSB, World's Edge Armour, Pipes of Piebald
20 Slaves
20 Slaves
40 Giant Rats, 4 Packmasters
20 Plague Monks, Musician, Banner, War Banner

6 Drops, 127 Models

For this game, I was against another Skaven player. Unfortunately it did not go well for me, as the large block of Giant Rats with Priest were hit by a Plagueclaw Catapult, rolled a 10 for Panic and ran off the board, before I had even had a turn. To balance it out however, the Pipes of Piebald protected me from being charged by a unit of enemy PCBs, who were promptly charged by my own Plague Monks and dealt with.

List D - 1000pts
Chieftain, Halberd, Shield
10 Nightrunners
20 Slaves
20 Slaves
5 Giant Rats, Packmaster
5 Giant Rats, Packmaster
5 Giant Rats, Packmaster
5 Giant Rats, Master Moulder with Great Weapon
30 Giant Rats, 5 Packmasters, Master Moulder with Great Weapon
29 Plague Monks, Musician, Banner
8 PCBs

12 Drops, 163 Models

For this game I wanted to maximise the amount of bodies on the table, and go as minimal as possible whilst being useful with my characters. Hence no magic, no magic items. This list then ended up playing against Dark Elves, with two Lvl 2s who had +1 spell and +1PD respectively, Noble with Deathpiercer, Assassin with Manbane, 2x5 Shades with champion and crossbows, 2x10 Crossbowmen with champion, 20 Spearmen and a RBT. He was truely overwhelmed by the amount of models on the table, and due to placing he was forced to kill my sacrifical units, whilst the combat based units were able to do their job. In the magic phase my theory was basic damage spells I can soak against most units, and save my meagure two DD for something critical. By the end I had lost due to various factors, however did take out all his ranged support, and a lone PCB gassed three Shades, which felt good.
It is also my most recently used list.

List E - 1500pts
Priest, Flail, Foul Pendant, Rival Hide Talisman, Plague Furnace
Priest, Flail
Chieftain, Halberd, BSB, World's Edge Armour, Portents of Doom
20 Slaves
20 Slaves
40 Giant Rats, 4 Packmasters, Master Moulder with Great Weapon, Skweel
5 Giant Rats, Packmaster
5 Giant Rats, Packmaster
5 Giant Rats, Packmaster
5 Giant Rats, Packmaster
27 Plague Monks, Musician, Banner, War Banner
8 PCBs

11 Drops, 168 Models

For this game I was against a Nurgle WOC list, and attacking Warriors when I now hit on 5's due to being WS2 is not a pleasant experience. The most noteworthy point of the game was Skweel, who gave the large unit Poisoned Attacks, but died in a challenge with hero, solely due to how he passed a 6+ Ward save. The Plague Furnace gathered much attention, being charged by Knights, who due to varied rolls between us ended up with me losing more models then him! However when he did, he felt it more than I did. It is currently my only game with the Furnace, as it is difficult for me to transport, and as such hasn't been tested as much as I would like.

So, these are five army lists that I have wrote and tested, going from the day of release to two weeks ago. Hopefully you will see an evolution in the way the armies have all been built, and also the style difference between focusing on heavy magic, and going for sheer weight of numbers.

Now whilst I doubt any of these lists will be used again without any charges, I would like to know what charges you would make, primarily to lists D and E.

I am also having a 1500 point game against Skaven tommorrow, with them having a focus towards Skyre and I know for certain it will include a Doomwheel. Once I have an idea I will type it up and post it here, but suggestions for what to use based on what you have seen so far would also be appreciated.