PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used or looked into Mighty Empires (old version) for a WOTR campaign?

smaul
07-12-2009, 18:19
Have an old copy of the rules, figured out how to make the tiles.

has anyone else tried this or know of any websites talking about this?

be interested to see how it worked or what needed to be changed.

couple things I noticed was casualties and getting figs back vs companies, and assaults on cities or fortresses, not that they are not doable, just need some tweaking.

any thoughts would be great.

Gilfred The Iron Knight
08-12-2009, 01:11
If you have the old rules, you will be swallowed by paperwork and book keeping.

The newer rules are really simple and can be modified to improve your gaming experience.

Basically the new version works by you have tiles with possibly something on it eg village/castle/citadel/etc. that is your empire. You also have little army flags that represent your armies, with heros. start of each turn you move your armies and play the games. Afterwards you collect your loot and taxes (depends on the tile), you then pay upkeep on you existing armies and the remainder can be spend buying new armies.

The 40k version is even simpler. you have the tokens that grant bonuses (rerolls, more points, stronger squads), with no upkeep/ taxes / stuff.

If you wanted i could give you a hand modifing the Mighty Empires rules to work a lotr campaign of either system:)

jaws900
09-12-2009, 10:21
I had thoguth about doing it but getting the money and trying to recrerate Middle Earth would be near impossible. I suppose you could create a small version like the Ithilean area with the last place at each end being Cirith Ungul and Osgiliath.

Dai-Mongar
09-12-2009, 11:27
If you have the old rules, you will be swallowed by paperwork and book keeping.

The newer rules are really simple and can be modified to improve your gaming experience.

Basically the new version works by you have tiles with possibly something on it eg village/castle/citadel/etc. that is your empire. You also have little army flags that represent your armies, with heros. start of each turn you move your armies and play the games. Afterwards you collect your loot and taxes (depends on the tile), you then pay upkeep on you existing armies and the remainder can be spend buying new armies.

The 40k version is even simpler. you have the tokens that grant bonuses (rerolls, more points, stronger squads), with no upkeep/ taxes / stuff.

If you wanted i could give you a hand modifing the Mighty Empires rules to work a lotr campaign of either system:)

To the best of my knowledge, you just described the old Mighty Empires. :eyebrows: The new one doesn't involve actually moving armies at all, it just says to fight a game, after which you get some campaign points that you can use to conquer a neighbouring tile.
The old ME system is fine, as long as you keep to two or three players. If you had two players representing Good and Evil empires (Gondor and Mordor would be fine) you shouldn't get too bogged down.

smaul
09-12-2009, 16:03
I dont think the old ME has too much for record keeping, I dont mind some, that is the fun for me in a campaign, but as far as recreating Middle Earth, I was thinking for starters just to use the random map and then use the army list for WOTR for WH and see how it went, a generic map.

As far as a WOTR Middle Earth campaign, I recently just downloaded the Middle Earth in flames PDF on GW and that looks pretty good and very simple, might have to mod it and not have Rohan yet, since we only have Minas Tirith, Mordor and Isengard, and it requires all 4.

I found that after posting this, but still want to try both.

ferrumvir
26-12-2009, 04:07
Hi Smaul,

Do you have a link to the Middle Earth in Flames PDF on the GW web site. I've had a good look and found nothing... sorry.

Cheers Scott

smaul
27-12-2009, 18:34
yes, I did find that on a different post somewhere and was able to download it and printed out a copy, Im going to start with that and see how that goes.

jakelautrec
04-01-2010, 00:01
hi guys here is a link to middle earth in flames
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=4200009a
alas you must be a games workshop member
it is filed under the "lord of the rings section" in "astromomican" on the GW website
jake

jakelautrec
04-01-2010, 12:36
go to games workshop .com you must be logged ina as a gw online member
click the ASTRONOMICOM link, this will take you to a new page
scroll down the page and find under the LOTR setion middle earth in flames.