PDA

View Full Version : kinda need some guidance O&Gs

bzakd
08-12-2009, 19:00
right iv been collecting and modeling miniatures on and off for years now but never really got round to playing, other than a few games of 40k years ago! so a few months ago i decided it was time to actually put the effort in and learn one of the systems and after a bit of reading decided fantasy was probably a way forward for me. i decided to go for orcs & goblins for my force and my collection so far consists of...

20 orc warriors
20 spider riders
30 nght goblins
10 black ocs
3 fanatics
2 boar chariots
and a giant

basically im wanting some guidence on what sort of miniatures id be best off buying next to build up a decent army before starting playing
cheers. Zak

Lord Malorne
08-12-2009, 19:03
Some shamans, either goblin or orc. Squig hoppers are great aswell.

Lord Malorneakd

Malorian
08-12-2009, 19:06
First step: Check out avian's orc and goblin's tactica page.

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
08-12-2009, 19:21
You should get snotlings:D They are stubborn and cheap:D Some more *basic* infantry wouldn't hurt either.

brendel
08-12-2009, 19:33
Bolt thowers and maybe a rock lobba or a doom diver.

warhawk95
08-12-2009, 20:05

I second this, he has one of the best begginer tactias for a single army ive ever read. Very helpful and it explains what is good for a begginer army go by that.

Tarian
08-12-2009, 20:12

Agreed, it's a good page, and I don't even play O&G.

Jind_Singh
08-12-2009, 21:52
right iv been collecting and modeling miniatures on and off for years now but never really got round to playing, other than a few games of 40k years ago! so a few months ago i decided it was time to actually put the effort in and learn one of the systems and after a bit of reading decided fantasy was probably a way forward for me. i decided to go for orcs & goblins for my force and my collection so far consists of...

20 orc warriorsexcellent!
20 spider riders
30 nght goblins
10 black ocs
3 fanatics
2 boar chariots
and a giant

basically im wanting some guidence on what sort of miniatures id be best off buying next to build up a decent army before starting playing
cheers. Zak

You have a good basic start here, heres some key elements that every O & G horde cant live without

1) Rock Lobba
2) Doom Diver
3) 2 Spear Chukas

You now have a solid base of artillary, its cheap in points, great to use, and adds some punch to your army.

4) 30 Orc boys

You can now field 2 units of 25, thats a solid core selction, and orc boys are staple diet in a good list

At this point you'll be able to field a solid 1500pt list - all your missing are characters so I'd also look at the plastic hero kit - has a mounted/on foot selection for you to assemble some decent figures from.

5) Squig Hoppers - 5-10
6) Squig herder teams - 1-5

These are great special choices and have solid stat lines in the game (2 Ws4, str 5 attacks, immune to psych)

7) Snottlings
8) Trolls

These 2 add some levels of depth to the list but are not as essential as the above choices, hence I put them as 7th and 8th choices.

The rest is pretty much a question of how your play style develops - some like Goblin heavy lists, Savage orcs, boar boyz - the army list offers a lot of good choices to play around with - hope this helps

bzakd
08-12-2009, 22:01
thanks allot for all ya help! 'suppose an army book would be a good place to start aswell lol'

jthdotcom
08-12-2009, 22:41
Doomdivers are brilliant, I have just started playing O+G also, and take 2 as my rare choices, Giants can be nice as a terror causer, and also a warboss on wyvern. I played a game against empire, he had a steam tank, after one hit with a doom diver doing 2 wounds, then my warboss charging it and doing 5 wounds without rolling a dice (savage orc=5 attacks, auto hit due to ST having no WS, and waaagh cleava auto wounding with no armour saves, and the wyvern finished it off) the look on his face when his steam tank was removed in turn 2 was priceless!

Also shamans as said earlier, put him/them on boars for the extra save in an infantry unit, waaagh magic is awesome

Gobbies
09-12-2009, 04:02
Ya another way to protect ur shamans is to mount them on chariots. I know that an OnG army can get pricey cause of the diversity so like others have mentioned, check out Avian's web page. OnG armies are fielded in so many ways that you're better off reading that and assemble an army that fits your style

ChaosVC
09-12-2009, 05:18
Other then boar boys and common goblins, I think most stuff are pretty fine. You can't go wrong Orcs...but O&gs can go wrong with you.

Djekar
09-12-2009, 06:00
I have to agree with Jind_Singh, those are pretty spot on choices for new purchases.