PDA

View Full Version : Multi-miniature basing.

ThousandPlateaus
09-12-2009, 12:40
So, after many years of not playing WFB (I think I last played in 1994!), I'm thinking about starting a new army, and bought some of the awesome new Clanrat miniatures to start this with (Skaven that look like rats rather than monkeys! Amazing!).

Anyway, my question is this: I've noticed a trend for basing several miniatures on one long base - for example, four skaven on a base rather than each one on separate 20mm bases. What's the reasoning behind this? Does it make moving units and removing casualties easier?

Would you do this with each rank, or just with the middle ranks leaving spares for odd numbers of casualties?

In the current Whit Dwarf, someone has done this with the front rank of their Empire unit, with each of the 'character' models on a long base in quite a good diorama - would this cause any in game problems?

mrtn
09-12-2009, 13:02
It's for ease of moving and setting up. It can also help if you have problem ranking up the minis, though you shouldn't have with the clanrats. I'd leave enough loose models so you can remove any number of casualties without problems, and I wouldn't use them on the command models, that was a bad idea in WD.

ThousandPlateaus
09-12-2009, 13:07
I wouldn't use them on the command models, that was a bad idea in WD.

It looks good, though, doesn't it?

Just out of interest - why would you advise against doing it with the Command line?

Ultimate Life Form
09-12-2009, 13:16
Uhm... because you want to remove them individually? The command line is the one spot in a regiment that changes regularly (join characters, kill champions, leave standard at home etc). So gluing them all together is a really bad idea... sounds like something GW might do though.

Idle Scholar
09-12-2009, 15:09
Historical gamers have been doing it for decades, in fact the bases supplied with modern historical plastics generally come in 1's 2's 4's and 6's. I based my old monkey-rats in blocks of four on 40 mm bases out of necessity to get them to rank up (you get a fair amount of area by losing the bevels between the bases) but it also made for rapid box to table deployment.

Whitehorn
09-12-2009, 15:16
One problem with this is that GW still sell a 4-wide base, rather than releasing a 5 wide for the new edition.

I just use plasticard, have my marauders and skeletons on them. Easier to carry and rank up and like you said, funky diorama options.

I actually cheated here, putting 4 skeletons on a 5 wide base:

http://fulgrim.com/minis/vc/skeletons01.jpg

N810
09-12-2009, 15:29
I would just do it for the middle ranks...
it saves a lot of time ranking up large blocks of rats,
and are probaly harder to knock over on accident,
also it's just plain kool. ;)

Lord Inquisitor
09-12-2009, 15:33
I used to do it all the time for my undead. It did allow some cool modelling possibilities and it made setting up slightly easier, but I have to say that I found after a long period of gaming that it was far more trouble than it was worth. Rather than just removing the number of guys killed, you'd have to remove a 4-long base and replace with the appropriate number of living (or unliving) models on single bases. Particularly with combat resolution (where I like to leave the casualties behind the units for calculating combat resolution), I find the long bases really confuse matters ("this base here was actually only two casualties", etc).

I personally don't find that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages and these days I just put everything on the base it comes with.

rbarretto
09-12-2009, 15:55
For Orcs&Goblins and Skaven I would use some large bases, cause you know they like to die in bunches

Staurikosaurus
09-12-2009, 15:55
If you make the backmost rank and frontmost rank single models, and use the 80x20mm regiment bases for the middle (one rat on the end or what have you) you'll find it works out perfectly.

ZeroTwentythree
09-12-2009, 16:02
I do it. It helped with ranking up the old skaven, as others have said. Plus it allowed me to get more of a disorganized mob appearance with my clanrats and slaves -- more like the disorganized masses as they appear in the artwork & fluff, rather than neatly marching ranks of trained troops.

To resolve the CR issue, I just put dice behind the unit after removing casualties if I don't have the single figures there at the moment.

As for "making change" it only takes a few seconds, as I make sure the back rank(s) are single figures, so after they're the first to die, I keep them around for swapping out with the subsequent ranks.

I use different arrangements... mostly 3x1, 3x3, but occasionally some 2x3 or 2x2.

The only times I've run into problems is on the odd change I want to move into some really strange/stupid formation. Like one rank of 30 guys.

ThousandPlateaus
09-12-2009, 17:46
Hmm, ok - plenty to think about. Thanks for the advice, guys.

piperider361
12-12-2009, 08:20
It worked well in the last book, but keep in mind that it dosnt work out well if your putting bells/furnaces in the middle of the unit.

hwd
12-12-2009, 17:39
I've been trying to get hold of some of the 20x80 bases without handing over money I don;t have to GW and have recently been thinking about making my own but making them 20x60 so each rank of 5 (except the front rank) has two models on single bases and three models joined. This allows every combination of wounds to be made without too much messing about...

I've also done it for my raised zombies for my VC army. You are gauranteed at least 4 zombies (4+D3) and it makes placing the unit down easier. As for removing casualties I find units of 4 or 5 zombies don't survive long enough for me to worry about!

N810
12-12-2009, 19:06
if you put 2 cav bases and a single in the back row it should cover any amount of casualties... ;)

hwd
12-12-2009, 21:08
Cav bases don't work with 20mm troops though so no good for anyone except Orcs and Chaos...

Idle Scholar
12-12-2009, 22:13
I made my multi bases out of mdf.

enygma7
12-12-2009, 23:01
It makes armies quicker to set up (which can take a while with horde armies), helps them rank up easier and takes up less space in a packing case (a 5 wide regimental base only takes up 3 slots). It is also good for aesthic reasons. Larger bases give you more scenic basing options and allow you to to unify the area a lot more rather than having lots of little discrete bases. Also, you can "wobble" the ranks a bit, making spacing between ranks and files a bit uneven to give a more natural look.

You can make 5 wide regimental bases by taking the current 4 wide bases and using plastic glue to tack another one on the end, filling the gap with putty.

For skaven I prefer 40mm square bases because they have so many things that go into infantry units on irregular sized bases (war litters, plague furnaces, screaming bell). It does mean you have to paint them before you can base them and causes packing problems (I pack my skaven lose in a 2 depth layer as they don't scratch being plastic).

You need to have the front and rear ranks individually based to remove casualties and add in characters. The only real in game problem is if you want to include cavalry models in your units or want to about turn to face the flank.

N810
13-12-2009, 01:40
Cav bases don't work with 20mm troops though so no good for anyone except Orcs and Chaos...

and lizardmen .... :p

march10k
14-12-2009, 20:10
~shrug~

Movement trays seem to give the advantages of this funky idea without the disadvantages...

jullevi
15-12-2009, 01:13
~shrug~

Movement trays seem to give the advantages of this funky idea without the disadvantages...

Regimental bases are not an alternative to movement trays, they are an addition. Of course we still use movement trays.

I actually prefer my regimental bases 4 models wide. I have used them for my Empire and Night Goblin armies, both of which feature large infantry blocks. My units are usually 5x5, with 2 or 3 regimental bases in each. They do indeed make setting up units faster, unless you use magnetised trays and have the units on the tray to begin with. I also like the larger surface area so that I can throw in some experimental basing, even if it doesn't show up too well from the middle of an unit.

I also believe they help painting horde armies, or at least they did for me. I usually paint armies one unit at the time and when working on a unit of 20+ models, a base of 4 models feels slightly less depressing as 4 separate models. It's the same amount of work, but it feels less - and feeling is very important in painting. If it weren't for regimental bases to break the monotony, I would have never finished my night goblin units.