PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Mage in 2000 points?

Brotheroracle
09-12-2009, 20:03
Would you feel that a dragon mage is cheezy in a 2000pnt list? I love the dragon model and am looking for a cheap way to flesh out my HE army, but dont want to drop the cash if people are going to groan if I place it. It does seem to be an under-costed unit entry. So what are your opinions on facing a dragon mage in a 2000-2250pt game?

I'd be running seaguard, archers, 2 units of reavers, a unit of DP's, bolt thowers a eagle and assorted chars to fill the points.

PeG
09-12-2009, 20:44
why would he be cheesy? Its a T3 model with pointy ears on a not so great dragon. Unless he can get his flaming sword working only the dragon will do damage in combat. If you also bring a stardragon I might have a problem but otherwise I dont see a problem.

Tarian
09-12-2009, 21:02
Dragon Mage? No problem, Dragon Lord on a Star Dragon? :cheese:

I've never liked the Dragon Mage. Cool concept, not very usable in my opinion. (For serious play, unless accompanied by aforementioned Star Dragon.)

Guardian of the Rage
09-12-2009, 21:47
There have already been several threads on the use of the Dragon mage. A quick search will reveal a couple recently. I am a Dragon mage fan but with 1 very large proviso...

In summary, Dragon mages are better smaller the game. This is because there are fewer probable threats to nullify it. It can dominate magic on its own in small games, and even here the Guardian Phoenix is a MANDATORY choice; some protection is at least better than none! The other item to take is the silver wand (+1 spell). This model at Lv.2 can cast 3 spells on a total of 7 dice (one 3 dice spell and two 2 dice spells) because of the free dice per cast. Remember though that he is only toughness 3 and the Flaming sword is required to make the model viable in combat, thus the lower dispellign potential of smaller games again suits the model.

If you have any questions not addressed in those threads, then please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
GotR

Dudeguy1235
10-12-2009, 17:15
Haha, if someone put a Dragon Mage and a Star Dragon Down against me, I would have a ball! I mean, who isn't up for a challenge?

Tarian
10-12-2009, 19:50
I'm pretty sure Mr. 4 Great Cannons 2 Steam Tanks Empire would be fine with it ;)

Falkman
10-12-2009, 20:00
In 2000 point games and more a Dragon mage isn't cheesy at all, quite on the contrary.
It's a fragile model who pays loads of points for both the combat potential of the dragon and the spellcaster potential of the mage, but can never utilise more than 50% of that potential at any given time (staying at range to cast spells means you're wasting your fighty stats, while being in combat means you won't be able to cast most of your spells).

Slayerthane
16-12-2009, 18:49
I agree, I think the Dragon Mage's bark is far worse than it's bite. It's a great idea for a model and really in theme for some armies, but I think for any army less than 3000pts, the points are better spent elsewhere.

WusteGeist
17-12-2009, 05:54
Dragon mage is just not that bad ass. If he rode something other than a baby dragon, he would be ok. But that baby dragon just is not good enough.

Avian
17-12-2009, 06:36
I disagree. The Dragon itself is fine, it's the guy on top that can be a bit too squishy for his own good.

I quite like Dragon Mages, to be honest, but then I don't play HE myself.

wamphyri101
17-12-2009, 12:04
They could simply fix the dragon mage by allowing it to wear armour. I would use a dragon mage if i could give if Dragon armour, enchanted shield, silver wand and Guaridan pheonix (3 spells, 5+ ward and 2+ armour)

Avian
17-12-2009, 15:15
You mean 3+ armour. ;)

Tower_Of_The_Stars
17-12-2009, 19:59
I wish you has the option of mounting a noble on a sun dragon :(. Now their would be a viable option!

wamphyri101
18-12-2009, 07:57
Thought you get +1 for being mounted?

5+ save with Dragon armour
3+ with Enchanted shield + Dragon armour
2+ Mounted?+ Enchanted shield + Dragon armour

Avian
18-12-2009, 09:14
Only on cavalry (i.e. 1 wound) mounts. See the rulebook p 59.

BigbyWolf
18-12-2009, 16:25
I remember when the book first came out there was a lot of debate about the "Double Dragon" list (i.e. Prince on Star Dragon and Dragon Mage in 2k). Honestly got to say I've never come up against one, has anyone else seen it?

Personally I'd hate to have two dragons teaming up, even if one is kinda crappy (in comparison). Hell, I sometimes feel guilty about my double Wyvern Troll Country Waaaagh...and Wyverns are far weaker!

BugsOwn
18-12-2009, 18:14
That list only works against armies without any shooting or access to a single magic missile and will lose horribly against an army with a sorcerer lord with beast cowers spell.

Here is how the game would go, HE REALLY wants to win turn 1.

First opposing player turn, any shooting or magic missiles go towards the dragon mage, the HE has almost no magic defence as the 2 dragons eat up his hero slots so no room for magic def. Running the dragon mage with 2 scrolls makes him a worthless caster, you would have 1 max, prob none.

3 dispell dice... woot. Ok, so the mage gets by a few S3 or 4 shots or a magic missile or 2.

Ok, so now you lost your magic defence, what little you had, then the opponent beast cowers the other dragon all game long untill the rest of the army is dead or untill he wants to multicharge the dragon in the rear flank front..... declares a challenge and the dragon and lord kill 1 model and are run down. Fun!

Of course if the opponent doesnt have shooting or magic and especially no beast cowards then it might be ok.

I played with the dragon mage in a smaller tournament, enemy skink blowpipes and heavens no range magic missiles always killed the mage, the dragon lost combat to 10 skinks due to outnumber hehe, awsome.... also you cant really charge things like skinks because the stand and shoot might kill the dragon, or the mage if its still alive.