PDA

View Full Version : Building to beat the Metagame

Kohhna
09-12-2009, 23:45
in other games that are played competitively, when a certain build or several builds of particular armies dominate the tournament scene there are two ways to go about approaching the situation. Either you build to beat'em or build to join'em. Personally I prefer the former option though the latter does have it's merits.

From what I hear about WHFB these days, Deamons and vampire counts seem to be the ones to beat at the minute. As in, if you go to a given highly competitive tournament you'll be seeing a lot of those particular armies from the other side of the board. This had me thinking, some sort of empire list with a Light wizard, Sigmarite priests and some stuff that can hurt their big ****-stomping characters would be handy enough.

About an hours tinkering gave me the following 2000pt list:

Arch Lector
Great Weapon
Heavy Armour
Holy Relic

Level 2 Light Wizard
Barded Warhorse
Staff Of Sorcery
Sigil Of Sigmar

Warrior Priest
Great Weapon
Heavy Armour
Shroud of Magnus

Warrior Priest
Great Weapon
Heavy Armour
Jade Amulet

11 Crossbowmen / Hangunners

10 Crossbowmen / Hangunners

10 Crossbowmen / Hangunners

2 Great Cannon

18 Greatswords
Champion Musician Standard

5 Pistolliers

Steam Tank
300 Points

Steam Tank
300 Points

General and priest go with Greatswords, other priest goes with the larger missile unit.

General Plan is to pound with missile fire, use pistoliers for a bit of bait and flee on any Deathstar unit, draw them in and counter attack with the Greatswords.

Not perfect, but at least a start. It could also be reasonable against some other armies (2 steam tanks is a kicking for a lot of other folks) probably quite weak against Wood Elves and I have no idea about the new Skaven book (been out of the game for a while).

How do other people feel about this, both the list and the general approach? Can this be done with other Armies (I suspect there's a good dwarf build that can do something simmilar)? Will this sort of behaviour get you a reputation as a cheese-mongering bastard?

All feedback is greatly appreciated.

Dudeguy1235
10-12-2009, 18:18
To be honest you could just take a whole lot of guns, or a WHOLE lot of knights. That would intimidate me? You might want more magic defense though, both said competitive armies above are very magic heavy. : /

Falkman
11-12-2009, 00:12
Arch lector needs to sit on a War altar for Unbreakable and more magic.

graymer
11-12-2009, 00:47
Stubborn troops. Enough missile/magic fire to make them want to come near you. ItP and Unbreakable. Dispel scrolls and DD. All of these things contribute towards success against the big 3.

This is just from a Dwarf perspective.

Rodman49
11-12-2009, 09:03
I don't like that list at all. Do you hang out at Warhammer-Empire? Because if you are trying to make a good list - you should.

You need VHS. You need the War Altar. You probably don't need 2x tanks.

Kohhna
12-12-2009, 00:25
Don't know what VHS is, but its not important. How do people feel about the general theory of identifying the top most played and most over-powered armies at the moment and building something that will, all things being equal, slaughter them though probably be a weak against a lot of other stuff?

graymer
12-12-2009, 00:30
I am a proponent of building a list based around facing the top 3 (DoC, VC, DE). Due to their popularity, you will probably face them more than other armies.

I am not in favor of gimping the list versus other armies though. There's just no point to that.

Falkman
12-12-2009, 01:35
Killing daemons and VC require troops with lots of attacks, not necessarily high strength, just a truckload of attacks.

Lord 0
12-12-2009, 01:38
VHS is Van Horstmann's Speculum. It is the friend of many an Empire player. I know I get plenty of laffs out of it.

Rodman49
12-12-2009, 07:41
Don't know what VHS is, but its not important. How do people feel about the general theory of identifying the top most played and most over-powered armies at the moment and building something that will, all things being equal, slaughter them though probably be a weak against a lot of other stuff?

Alright, when you take two stanks you are basically fielding the same type army everyone complains about - the "T5/6 Monster Mash."

You field two Steam Tanks and you play against an artillery heavy army - you lose. I mean there is no other way to say it; you plain lose against Dwarfs, other Empire, and maybe even Orcs & Goblins (with lots of chukkas).

You want to Tango with the big boys (Daemons and Vampires)? Here is how you do it man:

Arch Lector of Sigmar
- War Altar
- Armor of Meteoric Iron
- Sword of Fate
- Van Horstmann's Speculum

2 Other Spellcasters
(Most go with two Lvl 2 Wizards)

Your Choice of Last Hero
(BSB or Captasus, maybe a Warrior Priest)

You can do some variations of that - maybe give the Lector the Mace of Helstrum instead of VHS and Sword of Fate. Then you could give VHS to a Wizard and the Sword to another hero, really just matters of preference. The key points to hang with the highly competitive list with Empire are these though:

1. Arch Lector
2. Lots of Unbreakable/Stubborn Immune to Fear Units
3. Artillery
4. VHS
5. Redirectors

BTW, this statement: "in other games that are played competitively, when a certain build or several builds of particular armies dominate the tournament scene there are two ways to go about approaching the situation. Either you build to beat'em or build to join'em."

VHS epitomizes that mindset. If beats the hell out of most horrific enemy characters.