PDA

View Full Version : Modeling new Dwarf Army plastic kit options

pestario
29-01-2006, 03:07
Im a total dwarf newb and the Army box I bought didnt have the Army book. I was looking for some tips on how to model my Dwarves.

I assume the difference between longbeards and standard warriors are the facemasks you can add to the helmet, is this correct? There don't seem to be enough of the braided beards if you wanted to use a whole box for longbeards.

How would you model the 32 dwarves up? 16 warriors & 16 Longbeards both with shield and handweapon. Would you model any with great weapons?

For the thunderers/scouts/crossbowmen how wold you set these 16 up.

I do plan on adding more after I paint up the Army box but was looking for tips on how best to use the models from the Army box for a good playable force.

Ifurita
29-01-2006, 03:37
I think I'd buy the book, point up a 1,000 point force and kit out your figures appropriately

leeoaks
29-01-2006, 09:20
there in't much scope for modeling with this kit....i add pouches to the scouts and give the longbeards command a bigger banner, i haven't used those masks except on the command!

as for weps i have given one unit of warriors great weps and the longbeards in my army scout so they have throwing axes and great weps. i didn't want any thunders or crobows so i converted these into the unit of warriors!

i would agree with the above write the list first then model the army!

Bjoernes
29-01-2006, 09:34
Hi!

With your current minis, I think I would have set the force up as follows:

20xWarriors with S and HW and full command.
12xLongbeards with S and HW for high save, or GW for more punch and full command.
16x thundrers or quarrellers with full comand, and S. The command group and S will come in handy if engaging or getting engaged in CC.

Greetings

Jim Reaper
29-01-2006, 10:54
With my army box (I also bought a battalion box so I've got a few more models to play with):

16 Warriors with HW/Shield (up to 20 with the battalion)
16 Warriors with Great Weapons (up to 20 with the battalion)
12 Thunderers

Which leaves 4 spare Thunderers. Combined with the battalion to make:

10 Quarrellers
10 Quarrellers
16 Hammerers (Warriors with Great Weapons and face masks, plus using all the spare Veteran hammer heads to make hammers).

pestario
29-01-2006, 16:46
With my army box (I also bought a battalion box so I've got a few more models to play with):

16 Warriors with HW/Shield (up to 20 with the battalion)
16 Warriors with Great Weapons (up to 20 with the battalion)
12 Thunderers

Which leaves 4 spare Thunderers. Combined with the battalion to make:

10 Quarrellers
10 Quarrellers
16 Hammerers (Warriors with Great Weapons and face masks, plus using all the spare Veteran hammer heads to make hammers).

Thank you that's exactly what I was looking for dont waana buy the book as I have emailed GW and hope I will get if for free as I was missing it from the Army box I bought.

I do wanna add a battalion but waana wait till I have a good amount of the Army box painted up.

I am trying not to get cuaght in the buying more figs than I can paint trap I fell in last go around with Warhammer

Crazy Harborc
29-01-2006, 22:23
I just may do a 3000 pts list for this coming Tuesday night.:D My opponent expects Empire, the Crusader Trial list off of AB. I'll be using the current 6th Edition lists/armybook.......one last hurraaa!!

pestario
30-01-2006, 14:00
Thanks again for the input after I get some warriors and thunderes painted I'll buy a batallion and my starting force will look something like this.

-----------------------
Hero
-----------------------
01 Dwarf Lord
01 Dwarf Runelord
01 Dwarf Engineer
01 Dwarf Army Standard Bearer
-----------------------
Core
-----------------------
20 Dwarf Warriors w/ hw Shield<4 from battalion>
20 Dwarf Warriors w/ great weapon<4 from battalion>
12 Dwarf Thunderers

10 scouts<4 from Army box, 6 from battalion>
10 Quarelers<All from battalion>
-----------------------
Special
-----------------------
16 Dwarf hammers(Warriors with 2-hand hammer)<All batallion, hammer bits>
10 Dwarf Slayers
01 Dwarf Cannon <All from battalion>
01 Dwarf Grudge Thrower
-----------------------
Rare
----------------------
01 Dwarf Cannon <organ gun>

BlazeXI
31-01-2006, 10:49
I will paint my longbeards (just like characters and champions) with gray beards, the rest with blond, brown black or ginger. besides I have the metal ones so it will be easier to distinguish.

I'd buy another box of warriors and thunderers
this way you could build:
16 longbeards
20 clansmen with shields
12 clansmen with double handed axes (only a champ, no musician or banner)

10 Crossbowmen
10 thunderers
12 Rangers

Alfginnar Oakenshield
31-01-2006, 12:38
I assume the difference between longbeards and standard warriors are the facemasks you can add to the helmet, is this correct? There don't seem to be enough of the braided beards if you wanted to use a whole box for longbeards.

Putting face masks upon them is what the 'Eavy Metal team has done. I have decided to do something else.

I bought the army deal + a warrior box so I also have quite some bitz to work with.

I will take the most longbearded torsoes (their are around 3-4 with beards to the ground) and then take a the cloaked bodies. This will give me 16 dwarfs with cloaks and long beards. This also means that they will be the only unit with cloaks. All my other warriors and quarrellers will not have any.
To make them stand out even further I will use the face masks as ornamental shoulder plates. This also makes them look more heavily armoured.

Finally I will paint them to look more elite with lots of gold and of course white beards.

AO

pestario
31-01-2006, 12:51
I will take the most longbearded torsoes (their are around 3-4 with beards to the ground) and then take a the cloaked bodies. This will give me 16 dwarfs with cloaks and long beards.

Finally I will paint them to look more elite with lots of gold and of course white beards.

AO

I like that idea as well, I was thinking it didnt look right to have the odd dwarf with a Cloak while most do not have any. And there were too many cloaked bodies that I coulndt use them just for command.

I was thinking of using cloaked bodies for Rangers, but would have more cloaked bodies available them rangers in my army.

combined with the idea of masks and hammer bits for hammerers that should give me enough different looking warriors in my army.

PS: What would be best to equip the first longbeards unit with? HW & S or great weapon.

Alfginnar Oakenshield
31-01-2006, 17:28
HW and shield all the way. The longbeards will almost always be charged, and they need the extra armour save in order to win.

Dwarfs usually win on static CR, not on kills.

AO