PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Dark Elves (WoC)

Penitent Engine
11-12-2009, 11:14
My friend has just started Dark Elves, and is planning on running the Dreadlord with regen, 1+AS and the protective ring (the one where you have to roll equal to or less than the strength of the attack to negate it). And potentially a Deathstar shade unit.
My question is, how do I deal with this with a Slaanesh/Nurgle WoC list?Specifically, something like this (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234446). Any suggestions on the appropriate thread for the list would also be appreciated :)

Ophidian
11-12-2009, 11:24
buboes, buboes, buboes = dead dreadlord

*ok, so it's actually more than that needed if he's got the regen, but the pendent won't save him from auto-wounds.

Is it a dragon lord, or cold one/foot?

PeG
11-12-2009, 11:32
Buboes is good but against a deathstar with MR and the ring that makes you miscast on any doubles yu will have some problems with getting it through.

Best way of dealing with it that I have found is to multicharge it with units that either has lots of armour or are really big. The shades may wipe out one unit with their stand and shoot but the rest will hit home. Killing priority should be

1) ring carrier
2) MR provider
3) other characters without the inverse ward save

If you can get rid of 1 and 2 you can magic the rest of the unit to death.

Blueskies
11-12-2009, 11:51
Is the character alone then deaths head is enough for any elf! no str , just toughness tests.

xragg
11-12-2009, 12:04
If your just wanting to counter the shade deathstar then glancing at your list, I would throw in an extra spawn, couple chariots, and more hounds for screening. Like mentioned, the trick is to multi-charge the unit with everything. Spawns will help surround the unit and chariots will help win combat if the shades have ASF. The extra hounds will help keep your better units untouched until your ready to bring the pain.

Penitent Engine
11-12-2009, 22:23
Is the character alone then deaths head is enough for any elf! no str , just toughness tests.
He's in a unit (most likely), and Death's Head is allocated as per shooting.
And he's on foot.
Unfortunately I can't afford all the models listed by xragg. When I do, I will most definitely be taking chariots :D

Nurgling Chieftain
11-12-2009, 22:56
...the Dreadlord with regen, 1+AS and the protective ring (the one where you have to roll equal to or less than the strength of the attack to negate it).Exchange the Word of Agony for the Distendable Maw. *Gulp!*

Xzazzarai
12-12-2009, 03:05
Exchange the Word of Agony for the Distendable Maw. *Gulp!*

The only problem is that all elves have I5 at worst.
Heroes have 7 and Lords have 8

It's 1/6 that he dies.

Word of Agony is more reliable.

ROCKY
12-12-2009, 12:01
i fought a list like this (death star) and never had a problem. just kill the unit. i even did it one on one (chosen of tzeentch with a 3+ward, stubborn, 2+armor save and the rapturous standard +sigvald. u can only fail your break test on an 11 (twice if u have a bsb neerby) if he challenges except with the chosen champ (he couldnt wound me because of good armor +ward saves) and watch sigvald slap around his sissy elves then follow up with your 8S4 attacks at WS6. thats an average of 10 dead elves.

Nurgling Chieftain
12-12-2009, 20:10
It's 1/6 that he dies.

Word of Agony is more reliable.7/2 hits, 2/3 wounds, 1/3 failed ward saves, 1/2 failed regeneration, 3 wounds to deal. Total comparable effect? 7/54 compared to 1/6 (or 9/54). ...And the word is only one use.

Penitent Engine
13-12-2009, 07:53
Actually, I took the Word to deal with any Assasins that might crop up. Just to annoy him, really :)
@ ROCKY: (1) I don't have any Chosen, (2) where's the fun in countering a Deathstar with another Deathstar? And hoping on a 12 on EoTG?

Would a Hellcannon be a viable method of dealing with this unit?

lopezpie
13-12-2009, 08:18
blood curdling roar!!! it is very annoying to a DE dreadlord especially steal soul!!! hehe i have been gacked a quite a few times by those two.

my advice throw your warriors into the thick of it... if he running asf executioners avoid them magic blast them. but knights are your friend against anything else and you will win the long drawn out combats against de... we really dwindle after that first round. plus you have those beautiful armor saves to hide behind :)

another great thing i have seen used is screening knights with nurgle marked marauder horsemen

Penitent Engine
13-12-2009, 10:11
I've tried the horsemen shield, but I find that they tend to run away quickly unless you take a large unit. I find MoS to be better value, as they won't unnecessarily panic the units behind (being immune to panic).
And <3 the 2+ AS ;)

changer of fate
15-12-2009, 21:16
give ur best prayer to tzeentch and hope he hears you and give a 11/12 on infernal gateway.

Khazar the brave
16-12-2009, 15:44
i agree with iopezpie!