PDA

View Full Version : New VC army, need some help w/ list

theDregs
12-12-2009, 14:23
I just bought my first small WHFB army today. I've never played before and I'd love some help making a decent 1000 pt army to get me started on the game.

Here's what I got so far:
20 Skeletons +1 proxy skeleton/zombie proxy
20 Zombies
10 Ghouls
1 Corpse Carts
Basically the battalion set. Plus I have some models from WM/Hordes that'll make fine proxies.

Alexa..a heavily armored girl standing on a pile of skulls with a sword. I can make a great non-bestial type of vampire with her.

The Predator looking guy. Totem Hunter? He is a hulking beast of a model that I think could do well as a beastial (Strigoi?) Vampire, or maybe something else?

A heavily armored skeleton warrior with greatsword. He'd make a fine Wight type character.

2 Warpwolves (painted!) these would make awesome varghulfs and would be great because I need 400 points painted for Escalation. Perhaps they could proxy as something else too.

You don't need to actually write a list for me, although I'd definitely not be adverse to it, just some general advice since I am new to WHFB.

theshadowduke
13-12-2009, 05:11
At 1000 points? It depends do you want an uber powerful tournie list, or a friendly "I'm not going to crap on your face" list?

For tournies I use 2 lvl 2 vamps with heavy armor handweapon sheild. 40 skellies with full command (leave spears at home) some grave guard and some dogs. Spice with whatever you like. I usually take a necromancer in there too... depends.

Give me a min and I will edit in my 1k list.

1000 Pts - Vampire Counts Roster

Vampire General 165 pts
1 Vampire
1 Enchanted Shield
1 Avatar of Death (Shield)
1 Dark Acolyte

Vampire
1 Vampire 150 pts
1 Avatar of Death (Shield)
1 Dark Acolyte

Skeleton Warriors 180 pts
19 Skeleton Warriors Musician, Standard Bearer
1 Skeleton Champion

Skeleton Warriors 180 pts
19 Skeleton Warriors Musician, Standard Bearer
1 Skeleton Champion

Grave Guard 210 pts
14 Grave Guard Musician, Standard Bearer
1 Seneschal

Dire Wolves 40 pts
5 Dire Wolves

Corpse Cart 75 pts
1 Corpse Cart

theDregs
13-12-2009, 11:15
Oh friendly, definitely. I was just wondering if I could make a half decent list with the models I have, which consist of the boxed set and some random proxies.

artisturn
14-12-2009, 02:12
20 Skeletons with full command
20 Zombies
10 Ghouls
1 Corpse Cart with either extra power for 25 points
2 vampires loaded up at 185 points each
and one varghulf
that is 985 points right there

thechosenone
14-12-2009, 02:18
shadow dukes list is actually really strong though Ghouls tend to feature in most competitive lists. Thing you have to know is ghouls, for their points are great. They do so much.

In 1000 PT lists i try to have fun since you will be missing a lord which is really a game changer, at least for me. I'd go one regiment of skeletons, grave guard, varghulf, cart, two vamps, a necromancer, and then whatever else you want.

I always try to run a varghulf. Sorta pricey but so useful.

theDregs
14-12-2009, 02:40
Thanks, guys. I'll have to do without the grave guard for now, I have all the models I can afford for about a month.

Can anyone give me some advice about kitting out my vampires? I know one has to be the general, I was thinking about making her an ethereal mage and hiding her in the back to cast away, but as I know nothing about WHFB, that is probably a bad idea. It just seems suicidal to stick my general into a unit of Skeletons.

thechosenone
14-12-2009, 02:52
Thing with etheral at this low point level is now all she is will be level one and have no other powers and no magick weapons. Trust me, just throw her into the largest block of troops you have that's safe.

For fun consider the scout option and have a vampire run around wacking stuff in the back of the enemy lines.

For win though, enchanted shields, dark acolytes and maybe swords of battle at this low level.

artisturn
14-12-2009, 15:55
I always give my vampires Infinite Hatred which lets them reroll their misses every time and for 25 points that is a bargain and avatar of death some type of magic Armour and either the sword of Might or Battle my level ones normally come in around 170 to 185 points.

theshadowduke
14-12-2009, 18:01
shadow dukes list is actually really strong though Ghouls tend to feature in most competitive lists. Thing you have to know is ghouls, for their points are great. They do so much.

I just don't like ghouls, guess I'm weird. :(

I really didn't realize my list was that strong, I try to keep my lists balanced so everyone is having fun.

[EDIT]My hero level vampires are almost always kitted out like in my list. If you want to drop one of them and add some nifty magic armor and such on them thats cool too. I usually run 1 lvl 2 vamp and a necro, the vamp having Walach's hauberk, and giving them the vampire powers I listed. Necro does well with IoN and RD, and then give him the book of Arkhan.

If you take an upgrade on your cart, make sure its the balefire, since the lodestone is ok, but hurting enemy casters is always better.