PDA

View Full Version : DE: Gearing up Assassins

Wyrmnax
12-12-2009, 19:03
So... Assassins are used to give a extra punch to some unit, and potentially a extra character killing punch with that I10 and lots of other stuff...

But how do you guys gear them?

Giving one a Venom Sword does make it a monster in CC, but it is too prone to have no wounds pass a armor save. And then it is *very* expensive.

I have been giving simply Manbane and sometimes i add Rune of Khaine. It gets relatively cheap, and against characters and monsters the extra S is really helpful, both on ignoring armor and wounding. Of course, both of them comes with a additional hand weapon.

But i am looking for some other input on how people gear them up.

Nathangonmad
12-12-2009, 19:05
So... Assassins are used to give a extra punch to some unit, and potentially a extra character killing punch with that I10 and lots of other stuff...

But how do you guys gear them?

Giving one a Venom Sword does make it a monster in CC, but it is too prone to have no wounds pass a armor save. And then it is *very* expensive.

I have been giving simply Manbane and sometimes i add Rune of Khaine. It gets relatively cheap, and against characters and monsters the extra S is really helpful, both on ignoring armor and wounding. Of course, both of them comes with a additional hand weapon.

But i am looking for some other input on how people gear them up.

Touch of death, black lotus, rune of khaine.

Witchblade
12-12-2009, 21:07
Touch of death, black lotus, rune of khaine.
That's one of the best out there, yes. Ultimate build to get KB, so great against knights and characters.

If you want to put him in a unit of shades and just generally be a nuisance by shooting at stuff, march blocking and taking our warmachines, you should take the chariot killer:
Manbane, Rending Stars, Cloak of Twilight*
*: only in a heavy magic list.

If you just want to add punch to a unit without relying solely on KB, take:
Manbane
Rune of Khaine

Always take an AHW of course.

Alderhan
13-12-2009, 19:51
Yeah, I think it depends on what role you give them and what opponent you're facing. Duelist and nuisance have already been mentioned.

I usually always give him Rune of Khaine and extra handweapon. The extra attacks are golden. He's great at killing average infantry (T3 4+/5+ armour save). You can give him this and Rending Stars and he becomes really flexible and performs good at both. His stars are still S5, he can stand and shoot and wound stuff pretty easily even without Manbane.

I'd choose Manbane over the stars agains tougher foes like Lizardmen and Dwarfs. Also try to put him in a unit with the armour piercing banner.

I've never tried out the Venom Sword. Having only 3 attacks at S4 seems inferior to 4+d3 poisoned attacks even against monsters with high toughness and good armour saves.

Also, has anyone ever given him a handbow? How did it perform?

kyussinchains
13-12-2009, 21:42
I've pretty much always stuck to extra hand weapon, rune of khaine, black lotus and touch of death.... so far my assassins have racked up loads of kills, ludwig swarzhelm, kurt helbourg (in subsequent combat phases of the same game!) and a large number of nameless characters have been taken out with 1-2 KB's

WusteGeist
14-12-2009, 04:44
The two best mixes I have read and used so far are the following.
D3 extra attacks killing blow and reroll 1's to wound. That is often referred to as the knight killer.
My personal favorite is the machine gun.
Manbane rending stars. Nothing says love like poping a charging chariot with a stand and shoot reaction. Chaos warrior heros are often popped with that. But the best is tossing those stars at greater demons. Hit on 2 wound on 3's.

Rez
14-12-2009, 08:37
Ive run two types of Assassins. First was with KB, +D3 attacks and Cloak of Shadows. In one tournament he managed to KB a fair few characters, and was quite successful. The cloak rarely goes off, but its a good way to draw out dispel dice and really helps the rest of the phase.

Second one was with Manbane, Rending Stars and Cloak. This guy also did fairly well for the one tournament I used him. Didnt face any T5 chariots (only TK and HE ones), so the manbane wasnt that useful.

Next tournament im going to run him with +D3 attacks and Rending Stars. The Cloak is handy, but I found he is much more likely to die if he is zipping around the battlefield. I generally pop my Assassin out first turn and start going to work, but with this kit I can keep him in reserve till later in the game, keeping my opponent guessing. I pretty much always used him in my Shades, but they are much better off used as a firebase. Having the Assassin in with the battleline will keep him more supported. Plus if any units get in the backfield, he can pop out and chop up with the Stars. Very versatile.

Mythrider
14-12-2009, 18:08
All the basic set-ups have been described here; personally I go with Rune of Khaine and Manbane with additional hand weapon.

Works great in a unit of spearmen with the Banner of Murder; having AP attacks on top of Manbane can really ruin someone's day.

Alderhan
15-12-2009, 15:48
Has anyone used the Venom Sword successfully?

Von Wibble
15-12-2009, 18:36
I agree with Mythrider - but I use him with witch elves rather than spearmen (banner of murder is perfect for this unit).

Venom sword has a major flaw - you have to wound the target in the first place in order to get the benefits of its effects. Any non mage character worth killing has either T6 or a 1+ save these days. So with 3 attacks and on average 2 hits, you are unlikely to inflict a wound in these circumstances (a 1 in 3 chance at best). Considering you also crimp your ability to take on enemy troops and pay a lot of points, this is hardly the best option. Manticores and High Sorceresses who have claimed loads of extra wounds from stealing souls are the only optimal targets really.

Against an unarmoured mage you are just as well off with a rune of khaine and ehw, with manbane to help vs armour. This combo is pretty scary to monsters even without a venom sword.

I like my trouble shooter with rending stars and manbane. I use him to neutralise threats such as giants and other monsters as he can usually manouevre into position to shoot and charge in a subsequent turn, all without easily being targetted.

Not enough praise being given for cloak of shadows. This won me my first game with dark elves. A dragon rider was behind my lines, so my dreadlord moved to the back of his unit in the movement phase, and was then teleported into the dragon in the magic phase. It can also get your sorceresses out of trouble. A great item simply because it isn't just of use to the assassin.

JonnyX
15-12-2009, 19:56
Assassin AHW,Rune of Khaine,Touch of Death,Cloak of Twilight although 75 points of magical items this is truely amazing I put him in a unit of shades, hide the shades in a forest 2.5 inches into cover so they cant see me, the assassin then pops out on first turn, uses the cloak then flys up to any war machines or general and KBs them. Have seen a 2k game finish in 1.5 turns thanks to this guy taking out a TK liche priest on hill with casket of souls.
I only use this in a magic heavy list or you wont get it off, people get wise to you the first few times you do it though ;)

Lord Anathir
16-12-2009, 06:08
1. Stars
2. Manbane

3. Everything else.