PDA

View Full Version : Jeebus... I Still can't decide!

Aristocrap
13-12-2009, 02:29
So at first, I was deciding between IG and SoB. I picked Eldar. Now I'm having the same problem again. This time, I'm considering Eldar and CSM. I have the Eldar Codex, so granted, I know more about them than I do CSM. I also have a squad of DAs, but that's beside the point.

Eldar beccause:
-Fluff: The last of a dying race fighting against the universe for their survival is badass. I enjoyed reading the storyline in the Codex.

-Models: They're so clean and crisp. Unlike Orks, who are smelly and dirty. I like the smooth, curvy designs of their vehicles especially.

-Play Style: Specialized units that excell at one aspect of combat sound really neat and give the player a wealth of tactical options. Additionally, units some units "combo" well with others, which is very rewarding to pull off.

CSM because:
-Fluff (again): The rebellious nature of the CSM is pretty hardcore. Breaking off from the Imperium and all that. Plus, it fits my personality somewhat, as I often tend to be rebellious to higher powers (parents, schoolwork, ect.)

-Conversions: CSM have a huge potential for conversions. Be it mutations, Chaos-y scenery, horns, spikes, banners, the whole deal. In a sense, no two armies are the same. That's awfully hard to say if you're playing races like Eldar or Tau.

-Unit Choices: CSM in particular has neato units like Oblits, Daemon Princes, Plauge Marines, ect. From what I've heard, CSM tends to be a vey competitive army.

So all that being said, I can't really decide. I want to be very competiitive, but I also want to be able to really enjoy modelling/painting my army and have one that looks striking (or scary!) on the tabletop. My main opponents consist of IG, Nids, potentially Orks, SM, and CSM once in a while.

Arakanis
13-12-2009, 02:44
Eldar beccause:
-Fluff: The last of a dying race fighting against the universe for their survival is badass. I enjoyed reading the storyline in the Codex.

-Models: They're so clean and crisp. Unlike Orks, who are smelly and dirty. I like the smooth, curvy designs of their vehicles especially.

-Play Style: Specialized units that excell at one aspect of combat sound really neat and give the player a wealth of tactical options. Additionally, units some units "combo" well with others, which is very rewarding to pull off.

If you can, get ahold of the 2nd Edition Eldar codex and read the fluff in there. That will sell you on the Eldar completely, if you like the butchered version of the fluff we have today.

Aristocrap
13-12-2009, 03:19
I've never taken a peek inside before. I'll hafta see if I can find a copy at the comic store where I get my minis from.

Vedar
13-12-2009, 07:51
I have three armies. Eldar, Chaos Marines and Chaos Daemons. CSM and Eldar are solid on the power level. They can beat any army with good tactics.

The CSM codex and Eldar codex came out shortly before 5th ed so they are a little behind the times but it does not affect them much. Some units are pretty worthless (Chaos Spawn and Eldar support batteries).

Expect a new codex somewhere around 2012-2014 for both.

CSM while open to a lot of modeling options come off rather bland with options rule wise. Solid but bland is my opinion of the 4th Ed Chaos codex.

Eldar 4th ed codex is about the same rule wise, solid but not as many options as they used to have. They suffer more poor/overcosted units choices. Shining Spear, hawks, warp spiders, guardians, Vipers and others are just not worth fielding.

That being said I like playing both.

Arakanis
13-12-2009, 08:01
Eldar 4th ed codex is about the same rule wise, solid but not as many options as they used to have. They suffer more poor/overcosted units choices. Shining Spear, hawks, warp spiders, guardians, Vipers and others are just not worth fielding.

Disagree on Warp Spiders. They've never failed me. Strength 6 JSJ is fantastic.

sigur
13-12-2009, 10:39
I suggest going Eldar. They seem to be more rewarding, look gorgeous and are not T4 in power armour which is always a plus. :)

Dexter099
13-12-2009, 18:24
I prefer Eldar, but not the panzy good kind.

As for Warp Spiders, they are quite terrifying. Just from personal experience with the Dark Eldar shredder, which is basically a spinner except in blast weapon form, those weapons are quite devastating, especially when combined with a 3+ armor save and jump generators.

Kelanen
13-12-2009, 18:58
They suffer more poor/overcosted units choices. Shining Spear, hawks, warp spiders, guardians, Vipers and others are just not worth fielding.

I greatly disagree on the War Spiders, and others find use for the Guardians although I never will. Personally I'd add Support Batteries to the list, and Falcons are terrible without DAVU, but otherwise yeah.

I play Eldar, CSM and Tau, and the first two are definitely very competitive. They have some crap options as most codexes do (although the Eldar are hit harder than anything else with a 4th Ed+ codex), but they still have plenty of options for different styles of good army.

CSM are similar, although any army without lash, is better with it.