PDA

View Full Version : Necrons in planetstrike

bocaj
13-12-2009, 17:37
How do necrons play in planetstrike? I mean what tactics do they use? what unit do they use? And dose anyone hav any pics of necron terrain for it?

What i was thinkin they would use was monoliths for the effective portable DSin bastion. But what else?

Soz if this make no sense im a bit tired atm

Imperius
13-12-2009, 18:16
I've always thought that they simply don't attack. Just lying dormant inside a planet until it gets attacked or woken up.

If some 13 year old boy stumbles upon the tomb, they willl be defending from an army.

If they get woken up by some industrial activity, they will be attacking.

CrownAxe
13-12-2009, 18:52
I've always thought that they simply don't attack. Just lying dormant inside a planet until it gets attacked or woken up.

If some 13 year old boy stumbles upon the tomb, they willl be defending from an army.

If they get woken up by some industrial activity, they will be attacking.

He's asking about how they play in the Planetstrike and what tactics work best, not the fluff behind it

bocaj
13-12-2009, 21:03
yeh that right crown axe i already could guess that about the fluff

bigcheese76
14-12-2009, 19:02
From what I've seen they dont play that well when attacking but that might be due to the fact that my usual necron opponents always use the same tactics which is long lines of immoveable warriors using their rapid fire gauss weapons to good effect. Deep striking in isnt really the necron style.
Also when I'm playing as the defender as guard I have extra heavy support so I can take more russes.
They should be good when defending though because they will have some sort of amazing bastion cover save as well as their good armour save and their we'll be back.
And they can employ their usual tactic well in this situation.

Mortarion74
27-06-2010, 18:14
I was talking to a guy at Games worshop [sheffield] about this one bacjk when he was getting me to spend more money on my dam necrons [you know the guys who always lose!]

His take on it was that in planet strike for defending necrons can class all sorts of terrain as bunkers, also the necrons abuility to just appear means they dont have to be in play when the enemy strikes, so the enemy bombard, then land by drop pod all shouting and shooting friendly units and then silence falls, then the necrons deep strike the deep strikers.

One thing me mentioned the most as he returned to it more than once was the fact that the monolith does not have to stary in play, it can basically shimmer in, and deep strike itself, so let the enemy deploy then drop your monoliths on him, between your static bastions and the guns of your monoliths the crossfire will finnish of any attacker by turn 2, and give him nowhear to withdraw to too.

Also a tomb world is a perfect place to see covered in those pesky bastions

IcedAnimals
27-06-2010, 22:47
When assaulting take tons of deep striking flayed ones and scarab swarms. The ability to deepstrike in and assault with these units will tie up most of the enemy army, since a lot of their stuff is bastions or tanks fill up a lot of heavy destroyers.

You come in, blow up buildings and transports assault everything you can and hope you caused enough damage on the first turn to have crippled your opponents ability to retaliate.

Bonzai
27-06-2010, 22:53
Planet strike actually opens up some intersting possibilities for the necrons.

Attacking: the changed FOC means that you can actually run no necron lists. A better tactic, is to use the increased fast attack slots and load up on wraiths and destroyers.

Defending: you get to se up the terrain, and can hide in bastions. 6 monolith lists can be interesting. 4 can be used to create a box just big enough for 2 units of warriors and a lord to hide inside. It blocks line of sight, so only indirect fire and bad scatter can reach them.

Pariahs: they are an a very much improved unit in planet strike. As an attacker they deep strike where they need to, and are natural bastion busters. As a defender put them in a bastion with the imposing edifice strategem. It protects the bastion from most assaults.