PDA

View Full Version : Pech

Lostanddamned
29-01-2006, 19:05
What does Pech (Kroot homeworld) look like?

Based on the Kroot I:X article I imgine somewhere wooded and with hints of a glorious past, also moutainous in places.

Also the Angkor Prok/Angkor Watt connection lead me to think of this (http://gorillatales.com/KhmerTales/Cambodia.htm) (sort of, less tourist photos more asian ruins...)

Does anyone have any better ideas?

McNuggets
29-01-2006, 19:18
Pech is a forested world, with large mountain ranges cutting out of the forests.

Sandlemad
29-01-2006, 20:44
*Deep breath*

Pech is located in the Ultima Segmentum, in the north west of the Tau Empire and some three thousand light ears north of Ultramar.

It is a planet similar to Terra, with a comparable oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere, but slightly lower gravity.
There are three main continental masses: a warm, temperate primary continent upon which life flourishes, a parched, desert continent which is largely uninhabited and, finally, a cold, temperate landmass that is continually wracked by violent rain storms.

Hardy evergreen forests of Jagga trees that sprawl from the northern and western highlands to the Kamyon Mountains in the east cover the prime continent. Those few areas of land not forested are rocky and inhospitable.

The Kroot live in family groups known as kindred and most dwell in arboreal homes in the trees constructed from hides bound together with regurgitated dead wood. Other kindred live in the remains of what were once Kroot hives, now fallen into ruin and left for the forest and animals to reclaim.

Today Pech is a wild and untamed world; the forests still cover most of the prime continent and the hives that were once home to millions of Kroot are now overgrown and provide shelter to many Kroot kindred.

There are no cities on Pech, though there are places sacred to the Kroot, such as the enormous carved Jagga tree on the slopes of Mount Kaikown that marks the final resting place of Anghkor Prok, the Oathstone on the Plain of Bones, where he first swore loyalty to the Tau empire, and the Grove of Ancestors in the Kamyon Mountains.

There are also places that the Kroot avoid, cursed and haunted regions like the Ygothlac forest wherein dwell terrifying monsters evolved from the Kroot genus thousands of years ago.
Such places are shunned and are places of twisted, black trees and polluted ground, as though the land itself understands that what lives within is evil and a corruption against nature.

Some kindreds use these dark woods as proving grounds for their warriors to display their courage and manhood, but such practices are few and far between, as only a fraction of those who venture within are ever heard from again.

Thats a big lump of text. You could kill someone with that. Should you find it necessary.:)

Not all their cities are ruined. There are mentions of cities and spaceports hidden deep in the mountains, where the kroots' technology (guns and ships, pretty much) is made.
Also, it would seem that these cities are pretty well hidden, as the Tau have never seen them.
Really, most of what is known of Pech is seen through a Tau POV.
Makes a difference from imperial POV, i suppose.:rolleyes:

Lostanddamned
29-01-2006, 20:49
Thanks but
Based on the Kroot I:X article I've already read this

Sandlemad
29-01-2006, 21:32
Gloops. Sorry.

Well, judging by a picture in the tau book (the one with the shaper looking at the tau landing craft) it also has large open plains. I doubt that the kroot inhabit them, just fought the orks on them.

The story of Anghor Prohk also says that there is snow in the winter, which makes me think that at least some of these evergreen quagga trees must be coniferous to survive the cold, rather that rainforest.
These would probably exist in the highlands.

setekhite
30-01-2006, 10:42
What does Pech (Kroot homeworld) look like?

Based on the Kroot I:X article I imgine somewhere wooded and with hints of a glorious past, also moutainous in places.

Also the Angkor Prok/Angkor Watt connection lead me to think of this (http://gorillatales.com/KhmerTales/Cambodia.htm) (sort of, less tourist photos more asian ruins...)

Does anyone have any better ideas?

Pech is a verdant, primeval world. Beyond that, though, I'd say that you can no more classify it than you could cretaceous-era Earth. The planet may have a re will be large, dense jungle areas which form the main habitat for the Kroot - but you'll also have plains, deserts, arctic wastes etc.

The world itself is, at a guess, warmer and more oxygen-rich than present-day Earth, but you'd still get a wide range of environments - it's just that the Kroot habitats would be concentrated in the jungle regions.

my_name_is_tudor
30-01-2006, 10:48
given the climate of the prime continent is warm and verdant, i'd say a sort of rainforesty look, similar perhaps to the forests around tibet and northern india? ruins scattered everywhere, but totally overgrown by the forests, very shaded, very humid, lots of wildlife, and those trademark screeches and squawks you get in the jungle.