PDA

View Full Version : Tomb King Color help.

Vedar
14-12-2009, 18:54
I'm just started painting my TK army and I'm trying to find a good color scheme.

Originally I wanted them to look like necrons(Tombcrons) (grey bones instead of metal and green bows, I just thought it would be funny) but I did not like that look so normal bone color it is.

All TK army I see are blue. I don't like blue. I like Green.

I think I want to make my TK follow Asaph - Asp or Sokth - God of Poisoners.

So my question is if you see a TK army painted Green instead of Blue would that be odd? It just seems all TK army examples I see are Blue for some reason.

Red Metal
14-12-2009, 19:03
I always recommend that people paint their minis/armies/etc whatever color they like. You will be the one using them, so you have to be the one most satisfied with their look or theme. I don't think there should be a standard look to any army - with the exception being some of the 40K Space Marine chapters.

In any case, I think a dark green would look pretty "poison-like" and would definately stand out. I also like the grey idea, too.

Ultimate Life Form
14-12-2009, 19:11
As far as I recall it there is an example of a TK unit with a greeenish touch in the Army Book, so you can see yourself how odd they look.

I'll be okay with any and all paintjobs (unless you include the obligatory Nazi iconography that some people seem to find funny).

As for all TK armies being blue... well, it seems you're right...;)
(Disclaimer: Not my army but my opponent's. The Skinks are mine though. And they are... BLUE!)

Enigmatik1
14-12-2009, 19:17
As far as I recall it there is an example of a TK unit with a greeenish touch in the Army Book, so you can see yourself how odd they look.

I'll be okay with any and all paintjobs (unless you include the obligatory Nazi iconography that some people seem to find funny).

As for all TK armies being blue... well, it seems you're right...;)
(Disclaimer: Not my army but my opponent's. The Skinks are mine though. And they are... BLUE!)

LOL! The kicker with the greenish examples in the AB is the red. The green is fine. The red is fine. The two together is not good and should only be used a Xmas time.

If you want to use green, go for it....just no flourescent colors. Try dark green and gold perhaps? I happen to like blue myself and am going for a purple, blue and gold TK army (in that order). I considered white, purple and gold but apparently it would make for an army that's too bright to look at so my friends systematically gave that idea the kaibosh.

I also think that varying shades of gray would look awesome with some green trimmings. Although, blue does look better against gray than green. ;)

Whitwort Stormbringer
14-12-2009, 19:32
I'll second that a darker green would probably look best. Dark, but not necessarily dull - I would still go for slightly richer colors to contrast with the more bland colors of the skeletons/mummies themselves.

march10k
14-12-2009, 19:46
I think TK colors should look....well, like they've been entombed for a few millenia. Mine are mainly medium-dark grey and a very dull purple, with splashes of warlock purple, which actually looks pink. I think it looks decent with the very aged look of my bones... The only thing I'm not happy with is the skin on my characters. Nobody's perfect, I'll repaint the characters someday when I find a better way.

gdsora
14-12-2009, 21:31
I think TK colors should look....well, like they've been entombed for a few millenia. Mine are mainly medium-dark grey and a very dull purple, with splashes of warlock purple, which actually looks pink. I think it looks decent with the very aged look of my bones... The only thing I'm not happy with is the skin on my characters. Nobody's perfect, I'll repaint the characters someday when I find a better way.

hahah
I went the complete opposite making my Army
One of the reasons i wanted tomb kings

is cause the hero's are bedecked in gold, gems, and all sorts of jewelry!

I want them to shine in that desert sun!

Daniel36
14-12-2009, 21:38
Painting them green will definitely not be odd, but unfortunately all the nice greens have been taken out of production.

Tomb Kings benefit from having softer, minty tones (does that makes sense?). Scaly Green would've been perfect, Jade Green even better, but the only thing that comes close now is Hawk Turquoise, which really is just as much blue as it is green. It's a pretty colour though!

I would definitely advise mixing colour though. Games Workshop really only has very hard greens, which I don't like at all.

E-Dog
14-12-2009, 21:43
Go for it! Green TK would look great. I would go with a dark green myself.

Malarowski
14-12-2009, 22:52
I have mine in Scaly green. The Jade-like color works good with the gold. Alternatively red and purple look great too. Skellies I just do white primer with wash on top (Devlan Mud) Very easy and quick.

snurl
15-12-2009, 07:07
Since you are going green, why not use a Camo pattern?

ChaosVC
15-12-2009, 07:09
Green is mean! You go Girl!

snurl
15-12-2009, 10:00
Iv'e seen TK armies colored in:
Blue (kinda turquoise) and bone.
Brick red and bone.
White and bone. - (White very dirty and bone a bit browner than usual)
Liche purple and bone.
Black and bone.
Black and white bones.
All brown with dipped dark brown.

All of the above used goldish colors for their metallic parts (brass, bronze, etc.)

Havn't seen green in use for TKs yet but it could work with the right bone treatment. You could paint the bones in bright light greens as if they were magically glowing, but then what to use for a second color?

hwd
15-12-2009, 12:15
I only have a very small number of Tomb Kings left over from a long forgotten project but I have painted the bones using shades of brown and the shields are black and white halved with a red eye painting on them, as you may be able to see in the image below

Spiney Norman
15-12-2009, 13:16
Green would look great, I agree scaly green would be awesome, but to get it you'll have to look around for an independent who stocks Vallejo game colour or mail order it (Vallejo name is scurf green).

Just say that your TKs are from a different city, perhaps Rasetra which is right on the edge of the Jungle, green might be a logical colour for them. The AB colour scheme for TK is based on ancient egyptian artifacts, but theres no reason why different cities wouldn't have different liveries,

Elusive90
27-12-2009, 23:09
I'd say it doesn't matter if looks 'odd' for others if they see your army. you should feel right playing your army and gaze apon them and think "damn they're badass". And if just about everyone makes them blue I'd say that's a good reason not to make them blue. make your army unique!

Armond
27-12-2009, 23:40
Do it green, in fact do it however you want! Just make a log about it!

Infurion
28-12-2009, 07:36
My green Tomb Guard. Not the best picture, but you get the idea. :)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/QuasiDemon/Bilde022.jpg

tarrym
28-12-2009, 08:45
I think any dark colour works well for TK - as bone is your contrast.

This is how I did mine:

Unwise
28-12-2009, 10:17
My personal preference is for Scaly Green. It is a nice bottle green that looks a fair bit like jade. It looks great with brass/bronze and the odd red gem. Don't use too much red as the second colour though or they look Christmas themed.

Melkirich
29-12-2009, 16:53
any colour you like is fine: the Eavy Metal ones are blue/gold only because that's so common in Ancient Egypian decoration.

Bac5665
29-12-2009, 17:19
Mine are purple and black, so yeah, any colors that look good to you are fine.

I'd avoid pastels, though.