PDA

View Full Version : two 6000 point HE lists

kaelari
15-12-2009, 09:02
I'm plotting 6000 points against 3000 empire and 3000 lizardmen. Not sure which list I should use. Suggestions are welcome but keep in mind I'm limited by models (a lot at this point value) I'm expecting steam tanks, the special character who rides the war altar, the emperor, and steggadons, a slaan in a huge unit of temple guard, and not sure what else from lizzies.

First I have the magicy list of mages
Characters:
1 Teclis @ 475 Pts (If your going for magic and have 6000 points why not)
1 Alith Anar, The Shadow King @ 245 Pts (Bolt thrower on a dude, for shooting steggadons and steam tanks)
1 Eltharion the Grim @ 285 Pts (another mage and good fighter plus i have his model)
1 Archmage w/ Lev 4; Seerstaff of Saphery; Power Stone x2; Sacred Incense;@ 360 Pts (Choose spells, and blast people with them.)
1 Archmage w/ Lev 4; Book of Hoeth @ 360 Pts (second teclis is always nice)
1 Mage w/ Lev 2 on Chariot @ 220 Pts (ya i don't have enough wizard models)
1 Mage w/ lev 2; Jewel of Dusk; Elf Steed @ 162 Pts (more dice needed)
1 Mage w/ Lev 2; Ring of Fury @ 175 Pts (more spells needed)
1 Mage w/ Lev 2; Reaver Bow; Elf Steed@ 187 Pts (shooting is like more spells)
1 Mage w/ Ring of Corin; Dispel Scroll; Elf Steed @ 187 Pts (more spells)
1 Korhil, Captian of White Lions on Lion Chariot @ 270 Pts (hard hitting and ouchy)
Core:
(Well you got to take it)
11 Archers @ 121 Pts
2 units of 10 Archers @ 110 Pts each
14 Lothern Seaguard w/ command @ 193 Pts
15 SpearElves w/ command @ 160 Pts
15 SpearElves w/ command @ 160 Pts
Special:
18 Phoenix Guard w/ Command; Banner of Sorcery; Gem of Courage @ 360 Pts (A mounted character will go in here, nice anvil and causes fear)
5 Shadow Warriors @ 80 Pts (Will have a lack of places due to table space but may find room to deploy in the middle of the board and cause havok)
5 Dragon Princes w/ Command; Banner of Ellyrion; Helm of Fortune; @ 270 Pts (fun, I love the helm on the champion here, 1+ rerollable armour save)
14 Swordmasters w/ Command; Standard of Balance; Dragonhorn@ 310 Pts
10 White Lions w/ Command; Lion Standard @ 205 Pts
7 Swordmasters w/ Command; Skeinsliver @ 160 Pts
7 Swordmasters w/ Command @ 135 Pts
Rare:
6 Repeater Bolt Thrower @ 100 Pts
2 Great Eagles @ 50 Pts each

Casting Pool: 27 (27 plus +2d3 casting dice! WOOO)
Dispel Pool: 14
Models in Army: 175

Some good fighters but a ton of magic, mostly taking lore of fire, teclis will take metal to spirit of the forge the steam tanks. 2-3 will take high magic to shield of saphery and drain magic. This uses up my mage models hence the mage on chariot, i'm just using the chariot and saying hey theres a mage on there. :) This is also why several are randomly mounted.

Then theres the dragon list
Heroes:
1 Prince w/ Star Dragon, Great Weapon; Dragon Armour; Shield, Temakador's Gauntlets, Bow of the Seafarer, Talisman of Loec @ 644 Pts (Not sure about the bow on him, probably should be something cooler)
1 Prince w/Star Dragon; Longbow; Dragon Armour; Shield; Vambraces of Defence; Star Lance;@ 637 Pts
1 Tyrion, Defender of Ulthuan @ 400 Pts (wanted him above but lack of points and lord slots. the brothers together would be cool)
1 Alith Anar, The Shadow King @ 245 Pts (bolt thrower that can move and be at long range and still need a 2 to hit.)
1 Teclis @ 475 Pts
3 Mage w/ 2 dispel scroll @ 140 Pts each
Core:
3 units of 10 Archers @ 110 Pts each
3 units of 15 SpearElves w/ full command @ 160 Pts each
Special:
5 Dragon Princes w/ command @ 200 Pts
8 Silver Helms w/ command @ 224 Pts
20 Phoenix Guard w/ command, Gem of Courage @ 340 Pts
7 White Lions w/ command @ 135 Pts
14 Swordmasters w/ command and SkeinSliver @ 265 Pts
14 Swordmasters w/ command and Dragonhorn@ 265 Pts
14 Swordmasters w/ command @ 240 Pts
Rare:
6 x Repeater Bolt Thrower @ 100 Pts each
2 Great Eagles @ 50 Pts each
Casting Pool: 9
Dispel Pool: 7
Models in Army: 187

Teclis will take lore metal to eat steam tanks and the scroll caddies will take high magic for drain magic or shield of saphery.

Yes it'll be a fun battle either way.

Bladelord
16-12-2009, 08:43
In 6000 I would roll bigger units & hey, why great weapon on the princei n the 2nd list? :S itīs good if the dragon die but else you can go with a halberd or lance.

enyoss
16-12-2009, 16:56
I prefer the first list, although its hard to say much about lists this big as there is so much flexibility at 6K. I'll only look at list one with the rest of my comments.

Even at 6K, 27 power dice is a bit over the top, so I'd get rid of some of your magic to boost unit sizes here and there. In 6K games, concentration of fire will annhilate two units a turn at their current strengths (first turn will see the end of your dragon princes and either a spearman unit or the big swordmaster unit).

I'd make at least one of the spearman units 25-30 strong, and I'd aim to get one unit of cavalry which is 12-14 strong (Dragon Princes if possible, although if you put a decent character in there you can get away with Silverhelms... the magic banner might be a problem though).

As for the rest, it all seems ok, and I actually think you've got a great core balance, unit size aside. The missile portion of your core sets you up nicely for a refused flank deployment, so you should probably try to make the most of that.

kaelari
17-12-2009, 18:24
Well I'm limitted by models, I only have 5 dragon prince models because they are insanely expensive. I normally use my silverhelms and just say they are dragon princes.(most people don't know the difference, which really it's elves on barded steeds with heavy armor shield and lance, theres not much difference) but for this battle i'm trying not to use anything as something else or proxy in. it's partially a ha i have thousands of points of real models. I took the mage on a chariot out, and replaced with a BSB on foot because i had the model and it was a little too close to proxying.
I think a lot will depend on who goes first, my magic and shooting can nullify alot of his shooting in one turn. I've never played a battle at this scale before though so we'll see how it turns out. maybe it will turn into a regular thing... maybe it'll be way too long and boring for what it is. thanks for the advice though, if i had the models i would def make several units bigger.

enyoss
17-12-2009, 18:40
Well I'm limitted by models, I only have 5 dragon prince models because they are insanely expensive. I normally use my silverhelms and just say they are dragon princes.

Silverhelms work fine as well. Last year I played with 10K of High Elves as part of a 20K a side games and used a unit of 18-22 (I forget) Silverhelms with Tyrion and BSB, and it did quite well. If nothing else, it was impressive to see it charge in with two more units of 16 strong Reiksguard with Helborg. If you're going to play a big game, you might as well go all out for the look of the thing :D.

I've never played a battle at this scale before though so we'll see how it turns out. maybe it will turn into a regular thing... maybe it'll be way too long and boring for what it is. thanks for the advice though, if i had the models i would def make several units bigger.

I find really big games are interesting up unit turn 3, and then quickly blow themselves out after that, particularly in multiplayer games.

The best way to keep interest is to avoid victory points like the plague and play with objectives as outlined in the Legendary Battles pack. Having secret objectives can be pretty cool as well.