PDA

View Full Version : Warp space

avengerx71
29-01-2006, 21:58
Ok so I know that when travleing through the warp only weeks or days pass you by but in real space years and months are going by. Applying this concept to an RPG is there a table or a base time I can work with and then adapt it to what my players waht to do??

Khaine's Messenger
29-01-2006, 22:09
There is/was a table as per Rogue Trader-era background, but by and large you can use whatever is narratively convenient. Just remember that inbound/outbound flights within a system are likely to take upwards of a week, depending.

Critical Hit used to have the table...I think Kage buried a copy of it in his warp travel meta-article (here (http://anargo-sector.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=340)), but the formatting is kaput so telling what is what will be a problem.

avengerx71
29-01-2006, 22:11
thanks a lot for the link this will help me out a lot

Kage2020
30-01-2006, 00:36
Sorry about the formatting... It is addressed in the Wiki version of the article, though I'm in the final stages of polishing that off. I got sidetracked by an interpretation of the Imperial Tarot... Mea culpa.

Please also note that the table 'buried' in that article is derivative including the canonical information only as a requirement and, further, is properly referenced.

<ducks CDP>

Kage

imrhati
30-01-2006, 00:47
the warp is not always consistent. Try considering something luck based. such as role a die
1- warp creature attacks you
2-make it in a year
3-make it in a month
4-make it in a week
5-make it in a day
6-make it a day before you started traveling

you could think of a lot of interesting things that could happen

devolutionary
30-01-2006, 01:05
This is true, it is not something you can make a formula of. There are various hypotheses on the relation of anomalies and bodys in space in realtion to the warp, but nothing firm and concrete. You plot a course, shift to the warp, and pray.

Kage2020
30-01-2006, 01:22
And that is where I would suggest that some of the 'fluff' has been over-emphasised. Suffice to say that originally the 'fluff' suggested averages, i.e. values you could expect if certain unexpected situations did not arise. I still work on this principle out of preference.

To be helpful and also post some first draft RPG rules addressing warp travel, the following table was originally published in WD139 and is presented here without formatting and with additional tables of calculated differences. The order of the information is: Distance (light years), Minimum Warp Time, Maximum Warp Time, Minimum Real Time, Maximum Real Time, Warp Time Difference, Real Time Difference. 'Real' here refers to the material universe and where you have minutes (m), hours (h), days (d), months (mo) and years (y).

1 2m 6m 43m 4.5h 4m 3h 47m
5 7m 30m 3.5h 1d 23m 20.5h
10 14m 1h 7h 2d 46m 41h
50 1.25h 4.75h 1.5d 9d 3.5h 7.5d
100 2.5h 9.5h 3d 3w 7h 18d
500 12h 2d 2w 3mo 36h 10w
1,000 5d 3w 5mo 3y 16d 31mo

Travel Times and GURPS
The above travel times can be linked to either Navigator skill or the ‘skill’ of an astrographic program to calculate a route through the warp. Success of the jump is determined with a skill roll against either the Astrogation skill of the Navigator or the astrogation computer of the starship in question.

Before the length of the warp jump can be calculated, the base unit must first be determined. For each warp jump use a randomly determined base unit of 3d6 for a Navigated warp jump and 2d6-1 for a Calculated warp jump. Divide the ‘Difference Warp’ and ‘Difference Real’ columns for the distance of the jump by this value. This is the base unit and may, at the desire of the gamemaster, be calculated separate for ‘real time’ and ‘warp time’ to add an element of unpredictability.

Once the modified skill level has been calculated (i.e. base skill level plus or minus any skill modifiers as deemed appropriate by the GM), 3d6 are rolled against this value. On a successful skill roll the difference in this value is calculated and multiplied by the base unit for both real and warp time to determine the amount of time that is subtract from the maximum warp and maximum real times. Critical successes automatically use the minimum warp and/or real time, as deemed appropriate by the GM.

Failures and Critical Failures ultimately cause damage, sometimes critical, to the warp ship. The amount of damage is dependent upon the amount by which the Astrogation roll failed as indicated on the table, below.

Random Roll (1d6)
Difference 1 2 3 4 5 6
1 1/1/0 1/0/0 - - - -
2-3 2/1/0 1/1/0 1/0/0 - - -
4-5 2/2/0 2/1/0 1/1/0 1/0/0 1/0/0 -
6-7 3/2/0 2/2/0 2/1/0 1/1/0 1/0/0 1/0/0
8+ 3/2/1 2/2/1 2/2/0 2/1/0 1/1/0 1/1/0
Crit. Failure 3/3/3 3/3/2 3/2/2 2/2/2 2/2/1 2/1/1

The numbers within the table refer to light/medium/heavy damage incurred as a result of the failed astrogation. Damage is rolled on the charts for the ‘Space Combat System’ presented in GURPS Compenium II 103-104.

Calculated warp jumps have a maximum jump length of 5 light years and the duration of time in the warp quadrupled. Furthermore, the length of the real space journey is staged up by two levels, such that a 1 light year journey uses the real space values for a 10 light year jump, and a 5 light year journey that of a 50 light year hop. The increased time accounts not only for the slow speeds of currents within the shallows, but also time spent calculating the warp jump and waiting for suitable conditions.

Example: A Navigator has an Astrogation skill of 17, which the GM determines is modified by local warp conditions by -5, or a modified skill level of 12. The player rolls for their Astrogation skill on 3d6 and achieves a result of 9, or a difference of 3, for their warp jump of 100 light years. The gamemaster determines the base unit on 3d6 to be 13 and 11, respectively for warp and real time: the base unit is therefore (7h/13= ) 0.54 hours and (18d/11= ) 1.64 days respectively. As the Navigator successful Astrogated the course with a difference of 3 in the skill roll, these base units are multiplied by three and subtracted from the warp and real time. Thus, the ship spent 7.88 hours in the warp and the journey took 13.08 days in real space.
Just to be helpful. Make of it what you will.

The above does not include non-standard journeys which are narratively determined but, rather, average journeys. I maintain that it is easier to have a rule to which exceptions can be made rather than perpetuate the approach that an 'exception be made of an exception to an exception'.

Kage