PDA

View Full Version : Campaigns - Any that have you build characters/units stats?

Badnames
15-12-2009, 22:05
I recently picked up the Lustria campaign and gave it a quick read. I liked the idea of veteran points a lot and building units strength over time. I was wondering if anyone has experience with any other campaigns where you build up the strength of units. These campaigns seem like a lot of fun, as it gives players a reason to protect and target specific heroes. Any campaign ideas, links, or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Malorian
15-12-2009, 22:45
For a short while I was taking part in one that was run on here and most of the upgrades weren't that big of a deal but then again some were.

I remember that someone had their outriders get +1 BS... yikes!

Meanwhile one of my orc units got heavy armor instead of light armor, and my savage orcs with spears got to reroll to hit!

Best thing to do is keep in mind the people and the armies that will be taking part in your campaign as a lot of loopholes and problems can be avoided if you do that.

Avian
15-12-2009, 22:49
I had systems for that in my earlier campaigns but dropped it in the later ones. While it could be amusing at the right times, generally it ended up as too much book keeping for too little benefit (and it often ended up benefiting those who did not need it). Unless you have a very dedicated set of players AND you don't mind a lot of extra work, I would not recommend it.

For a short while I was taking part in one...
It seems that a common trend for campaigns with highly detailed rules that people only play them for a short while, yes? ;)

Malorian
15-12-2009, 22:58
In this case the person running it stopped updating warseer and only continued on with his own local group.

Othiem
16-12-2009, 03:14
Check out the warbands rules you can download from the GW site. Other than spending points to buy new models, most of the upgrades are interesting abilities for your general that can be useful, but not as army breaking as something like upgraded BS outriders.

Keller
16-12-2009, 14:50
I am running a campaign in which we are using some of the rules from the Warhammer Warbands league. Characters each get an archtype, then can buy additional abilities, while units can get upgraded to Veteran ranks 1-3, each of which allows 1 reroll of a D6 per game, which usually gets saved for break tests, flees, or pursuits, or fear/terror tests.

Its working out pretty well, but the archtypes need to be adjusted to reflect that it is not the Warbands campaign, and some need to be balanced against the others in the list. We don't have any way to modify unit/hero characteristics, though, but some of them can be weakened through injury.

If you want to be able to upgrade more heros and the like, I would look into using the Mordheim inprovement table for them. I wouldn't suggest upgrading units (though equipment might be fine).

Rogue
16-12-2009, 16:12
Check this link out:

http://www.mindspring.com/~jloasrah/mesetext.htm

This is an edition of the old 1990 Mighty Empires that was compiled to have a few add-ins either from White Dwarf (I remember an article that explained some of the augmented rules), Warhammer Quest, and from other sources. This is NOT anything near close to a Lustria Campaign. I think that the Lustria Campaign is not nearly as detailed as this campaign system is.

Condottiere
17-12-2009, 01:21
My opinion on this is it requires an independent referee, because while we were running it on consensus, I felt the more extrovert players were pushing their concept through, which ultimately tended to be biased towards their interests.