PDA

View Full Version : 1000 point wood elf tournament army

sssk
15-12-2009, 21:29
Hello,

I bought the wood elf battalion a few years ago (very whimsically) and made and painted a lovely 500pt army (one of each core, an eagle and a noble). Now I'm finally getting round to expanding them.

I've got a mini tournament coming up over Christmas, and (having never used the elves at 1000pts) could do with some input as to how my army is looking and what I could/should do to sort it out.

Here's the list:

Noble - Hail of doom arrow, light armour, shield
Noble - Alter kindred, helm of the hunt, light armour, shield, great weapon
10 glade guard - musician
5 glade riders - musician
8 dryads
5 scouts (waywatcher models)
8 wardancers - musician
Great eagle
------------------------
1000pts (on the dot)

Other models I have are: a spellsinger, a treeman (who doesn't?), 11 more wardancers (impulse ebay purchases).

Any help on what to change/take out/put in is very much appreciated. Particularly thoughts on heroes. I've been told (and agree) that I only need one hero at 1000pts, however I don't own a mounted noble (it's next on my "to buy/convert list"), and I think the alter adds some much needed mobile hard hitting power. However is he strictly necessary?

any input on any part of the list is very much appreciated, and feel free to tell me it's rubbish (and what I should do to improve it in that case). 2 years of playing pure goblin lists has left me a little rusty on the use of small elite armies.

Cheers

sssk

warhawk95
15-12-2009, 22:10
Do to your lack of models I would actually change this list up. I think you will find your first noble very easy to kill. And the alter is fine, but I dont think he should be your choice. I would actually take the spellsinger lvl 2 with calirgores staff and a scroll. Reason being is that at 1000 points, like you said, woodies do not need two heroes. you can not have the alter as your only hero and having a mounted one hurts. So the logical choice IMO is the spellsinger. Roll treesinging twice on 2 dice each time. Should get atleast one through.

As for the rest of the list, drop the scouts they are generally considered as not worth it. I would instead take an extra 8 wardancers with a muscian if you have the model. That will help give you the extra combat punch you lack. If you have any spares (which you shouldnt but might) then boost up your WD some, or buy glamourweave kindred for your spellsinger. Its a decent list I just do not think that you need 2 characters and the spellsinger might help.

TheGuardian170
15-12-2009, 22:13
I like the list.

The thing with the standard alter noble (yours + HoDA) is if used properly it will kill more points than it's worth. I would drop your other Noble and pick up a spellsinger. She will give you some anti-magic, give her a DS. Keep her Lv1 as you wont be getting spells off anyways and hid her in the middle of a wood so she doesn't get capped.

The only other thing I would change is dropping the Great Eagle and change the GGS to actual WW. It's not really cost effective but they will MB your opponent on turn one so tactically they will be worth it.

Cheers,

Guardian

sssk
15-12-2009, 23:20
I did think of switching the scouts for wardancers. the scouts were just there for an additional dynamic to the army, but I think you're right in that I need more combat ability (and let's face it, wardancers are infinately cool).

My initial army list actually had a spell singer, but how effective is 1 extra dispel dice?

Here's a potential second attempt at the list (though the lack of a hail of doom arrow is notable)

Spellsinger - Level 2, Calaingor's stave
5 glade riders - musician
8 dryads
8 wardancers - musician
8 wardancers - musician
Great eagle
--------------------
999 points

I like the look of that, though I'm definitely going to have to swot up on my use of skirmishers who can't flee (something which will come with practice, which of course is what friendly tournaments are for). I've still got 21 points left, so if I can rustle up another 4 I can have that dispel scroll (although in 6 years of playing warhammer, I've never used one, largely because I find dwarfs, deamons, and goblins, my other armies, don't really need them too much).

As I said earlier, there's a hail of doom arrow shaped hole in the list, but I suppose in essence it's only really a bit better than a close range round of shooting from glade guard (I don't come across many ethereal units as no one nearby plays undead of any form).

What're people's thoughts on army list version 1.1 (compared with version 1.0)?

Cheers

sssk

TheGuardian170
16-12-2009, 00:09
To fit in a DS drop one or both musicians off the GG, I've never found the use for a musician in their ranks.

Now the way I use the Stave is different than how Warhawk uses it. I spam Treesinging trying to cast 4 times rather than two times. I get 50% of them off everytime and when it does go off ppl need to use two dice to get rid of it so :D

Cheers,

Guardian

warhawk95
16-12-2009, 00:56
Ya if you drop off some muscians (although keep the glade riders) it will work. ou can use it theguardian170s way of rolling. Although I have found if you roll with 2 dice, that you are going to get 2 casts, one dice method there is no guarantee you could get none or all4. Its all down to how much risk you want to take, I prefer to know that I am going to get some spells through.

sssk
16-12-2009, 10:06
I could drop a musician from a unit of glade guard, but I somewhat envision them as being one of my key bait and flee units (everyone loves to get in combat with a weak little unit of archers, and they actually can flee!).

Would it be better dropping a musician from one of the wardancer units instead? Obviously I'd only be needing a musician for them if combat was drawn, and if combat is drawn, I've probably done something drastically wrong already.

As for the 2 dice or 1 for tree singing, I'll probably just play it by ear (if I don't particularly need to cast it, I'll use a single dice just to avoid miscast potential, if I really need to get it cast I can cast twice with 2, or even once with 1 and once with 3). I do like the idea of my spellsinger effectively being invincible (give or take) in the middle of a forest, but I am going to miss that alter kindred for adding those important kills to key combats. However I can see this army being fairly nasty (and I have an eagle and glade riders to deal with warmachines etc, so probably shouldn't need the alter in any case).

It is going to be a big jump from the goblins I'm used to (and deamons before that...until they got too dull to play) so I don't know how much I'll win purely from an experience point of view. However hopefully by the end of the tournament (6 games I think) hopefully I'll be mastering the design of my wardancer-blender.

Thanks for the help folks. Any more advice is very welcome, and I'll let you know how I get on in due time (the first set of games should be within the next week).

sssk