PDA

View Full Version : The Green Knight?

sugarwookie
16-12-2009, 19:38
Hi,

I'm just wondering what your opinions are on this very amazing looking model might be? He doesn't seem too over the top and also might be a tad fragile.

How would you see him best used in WHFB considering that he's a little outdated and that there are so many armies that are a little weighted being that they've gotten new books in recent years?

I think he'd be a beautiful centerpiece to an army, but don't have a lot of knowledge on how he'd be used.....input?

wOOkie

Malorian
16-12-2009, 19:41
Now that there are more magical attacks out there (thanks to VC) you'd have to be more careful but he can still be very good if he jumps out at the right time and the terrain is right.

Personally I wouldn't use him unless it's a larger game though.

sugarwookie
16-12-2009, 20:13
Do you think it's better to use his extra D6 attacks, or go with the +2 as a whole? I'm very big on making an army with a story behind it and feel that it would be awesome to have a theme with a heavy peasant theme, where the ladies and their land are under attack without much notice. It'd be a heavily peasant themed army who were all that were available on such a short notice with the GK showing up to help along with a few heroes.

I imagine you're truly have to pick your targets carefully Malorian? I've searched a lot on different boards and haven't came up with much on him, or how he's been used.

danny-d-b
16-12-2009, 20:20
depends on who your faceing, aginst infantry (low T, poor armour saves) the D6 extra attacks is best, against cavalry and monsters (HT and or low armour saves) the +2 streanth

jayzerus
16-12-2009, 20:21
It would depend on what army / characters you were fighting. If you are fighting Lord / Hero level characters, the +2S may be best to get past their (sometimes) strong armor. If you are fighting against, say Elf infantry with their T3, then +D6 attacks would be better.

Malorian
16-12-2009, 21:26
As has been said it really depends.

I don't think he is used a lot because:

-You are depending that there will be a woods in the enemy's deployment zone that he can jump out from
-Then hope the opponent will be foolish to deploy near those trees once he sees you have the green knight
-Then hope you roll well so he comes in on time
-Then hope your opponent hasn't aimed a block at said woods just to tie you up
-Also keep in mind that much like lord that for the same points knights are more effective

So that's why I'd say he's better in larger games where he can be more of a utility unit as he isn't taking up too many of your points.

Nathangonmad
16-12-2009, 23:25
Tbh I'd say hes worth taking in the current meta game. With all these dark elf playing wood elves it'd be a good counter to them. Aswell as his many other uses.

Grey Man
17-12-2009, 01:46
I play a Dark Elf fast/magic/shooty list, and the Green Knight can be a nightmare. For what that's worth.

BigbyWolf
17-12-2009, 14:17
I've never used him as the Green Knight, mainly because I don't run Brettonians (yet)...but as my Chaos Lord he works great! The model is (IMHO) far better then any of the standard Chaos steed-mounted Chaos characters.

I have come up against him a few times though, and he can irritate rather than dominate in game terms. But all in all if you have the spare points he's a good troublemaker.

grailknight
17-12-2009, 15:27
what size games are you playing? how can you find points for him? surely there are much better options even in a fluffy list?

BigbyWolf
17-12-2009, 16:03
what size games are you playing? how can you find points for him? surely there are much better options even in a fluffy list?

And your questions are directed to?

If it was me, usually 2-3K games, but as I said, I don't use Brettonians, only played against them.

I'd imagine the points would be found by sacrificing a Lord character to have him, and if it's a fluffly list made to include the Green Knight, then I'd imagine he's the best option you can have.

Zoolander
17-12-2009, 18:08
I've never used him as the Green Knight, mainly because I don't run Brettonians (yet)...but as my Chaos Lord he works great! The model is (IMHO) far better then any of the standard Chaos steed-mounted Chaos characters.

Ever hear of Archeon? ;) That model is one of the best they've done!

BigbyWolf
17-12-2009, 18:17
Ever hear of Archeon? ;) That model is one of the best they've done!

Archwho-on? You mean the Never-chosen? Bah...he was over-hyped. Bring back Morkar! Now there's a "lord of the end times" you can be proud of...

From a modelling perspective, Isn't Archie on a Daemonsteed and not a standard hoss? The model is quite nice, but I prefer my converted Green Knight...

Tower_Of_The_Stars
17-12-2009, 19:56

I know someone who plays Bretonnians and is using Archaon as their Lord. The grass is always greener on the other side lol.

Zoolander
18-12-2009, 20:11
Archwho-on? You mean the Never-chosen? Bah...he was over-hyped. Bring back Morkar! Now there's a "lord of the end times" you can be proud of...

From a modelling perspective, Isn't Archie on a Daemonsteed and not a standard hoss? The model is quite nice, but I prefer my converted Green Knight...

LOL. I never use the actual character (I hate using special characters), but the model is gorgeous. Yes, it's a daemonic mount, but it looks just like a cool horse, so there's nothing really stopping you from using it as such. I tend to like my general on bigger bases anyway, so they stand out more. When your opponent asks "where's your general?" there's an issue, IMO. :)

The Green Knight is impressive, too.

badgeraddict
18-12-2009, 20:21
The Green Knight (http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs050.snc1/4188_206258400017_713025017_7001580_6839380_n.jpg)
The Green Knight again (http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs050.snc1/4188_206258405017_713025017_7001581_6655955_n.jpg)

Its a fantastic model!

From experience he is the bane of Wood Elves!

LKHERO
19-12-2009, 06:57
Depends on metagame.. but he can be fairly rewarding.