PDA

View Full Version : New Necron Codex Writer

The Ginger Ninja
18-12-2009, 07:06
Not sure where to put this so i put it in general

I've seen on some other forums that Matt Ward is doing the new necron codex, and they are saying this like its a bad thing, whats wrong with his books?

destroyertaux
18-12-2009, 07:10
well, I have to say that if this is true, it's about time. Every other army has been getting new codex's. I think they need one. Same goes for the D.E.

Thud
18-12-2009, 07:16
Mat Ward? He did the SM codex and that's pretty good.

The Ginger Ninja
18-12-2009, 07:33
Necron News from GD Germany

After a long talk with Phil Kelly he told me that Mat Ward (Fantasy O&G & DoC)
got the Job to write the new Codex Necrons. :chrome:

They seem to be knocking him a lot on dakka

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/252715.page

Vaktathi
18-12-2009, 07:42
Mat Ward? He did the SM codex and that's pretty good.

Except it reads like a bad internet fanfic and has some blatantly obvious internal balance issues that should have been caught before it ever went to printing. When I stop seeing Vulkan in almost every single SM army I face, I'll be happy.

Thud
18-12-2009, 07:49
Except it reads like a bad internet fanfic and has some blatantly obvious internal balance issues that should have been caught before it ever went to printing. When I stop seeing Vulkan in almost every single SM army I face, I'll be happy.

Yes, it has a few chinks here and there, but over all it's a pretty good book. It's quite balanced against other codices and it gives the player a multitude of options on how to build an army.

As for the fluff part, yes it's dire, but it seems like Ward won't be writing that part for the Necrons; Goto gets it.

The Custodian
18-12-2009, 07:58
Yes, it has a few chinks here and there, but over all it's a pretty good book. It's quite balanced against other codices and it gives the player a multitude of options on how to build an army.

As for the fluff part, yes it's dire, but it seems like Ward won't be writing that part for the Necrons; Goto gets it.

Great, what a relief,:rolleyes: maybe it's time for those necrons to show thier true slaneshi worshipping colors...

Tonberry
18-12-2009, 08:03
''And yea, the Necron menace they did bray like goats, and upon the mountains they did sing''.

Thud
18-12-2009, 08:04
Whoops, I should have included a winkie or something. Now my previous post seems to imply that I like Goto getting to write the fluff; this is not the case. ;)

Bregalad
18-12-2009, 08:05
Mat Ward wrote the over the top Fantasy Demon army book and the under the bottom O&G army book. Asked if his Demon book is too strong, he said that's what it should be. So people are concerned about his balancing skills. I called him the C.S.Goto of rules development and said that now only Goto writing the background would make it worse. Hope someone misread that part of my post or we will see lots of braying, Slaanesh worshipping, child molesting Necrons and only rare connections to the current Necron background (as Goto doesn't care) :rolleyes:

Lusall
18-12-2009, 08:45
Mat Ward wrote the over the top Fantasy Demon army book and the under the bottom O&G army book. Asked if his Demon book is too strong, he said that's what it should be. So people are concerned about his balancing skills. I called him the C.S.Goto of rules development and said that now only Goto writing the background would make it worse. Hope someone misread that part of my post or we will see lots of braying, Slaanesh worshipping, child molesting Necrons and only rare connections to the current Necron background (as Goto doesn't care) :rolleyes:

Except that:

A: There's no actual proof that he said that. (Other than hearsay, and I use that term because there's no one else who will say "Yes, I heard it too!")

B: Even if he did say it...it was at a Games Day event. And those are stressful enviornments. If (and I mean -IF-) he did say that...that person was probably not the first (or indeed last) person to ask that question or make that statment.

C: Many of the Games Develepors have an odd sense of humor. If (and again -IF IFIFIFIFIFIFIFIFIF- ) He did say that...it's quite possible he meant it as a joke.

But really...option A is the one I keep going to. Sorry...I just don't beleive something someone says. Especially when it comes to Warhammer, and even more so when it comes to Warhammer on the internet. People are willing to say or make up a lot of things for random and just unfathomable reasons.

Spider-pope
18-12-2009, 08:47

I've seen on some other forums that Matt Ward is doing the new necron codex, and they are saying this like its a bad thing, whats wrong with his books?

Necrons can never be Ultramarines, nevertheless they will aspire to the standards and teachings of the great Primarch

Mat Ward wrote the over the top Fantasy Demon army book and the under the bottom O&G army book. Asked if his Demon book is too strong, he said that's what it should be. So people are concerned about his balancing skills. I called him the C.S.Goto of rules development and said that now only Goto writing the background would make it worse. Hope someone misread that part of my post or we will see lots of braying, Slaanesh worshipping, child molesting Necrons and only rare connections to the current Necron background (as Goto doesn't care)

I hope to god thats where this rumour of Goto having any involvement at all with Codexes has come from. Its easy enough to ignore the inane scribblings he does for the Black Library, but having them turn up as mainstream background for a major race would be utterly dire.

The pestilent 1
18-12-2009, 08:56
I hope to god thats where this rumour of Goto having any involvement at all with Codexes has come from. Its easy enough to ignore the inane scribblings he does for the Black Library, but having them turn up as mainstream background for a major race would be utterly dire.

Wow, never seen it happen this fast before.

Thud, you damn Fiend :evilgrin:

The Ginger Ninja
18-12-2009, 09:00
So if the rumors are coming out of who is writing it, anyone got an estimate of when the new codex is coming out?
also how long does it generally take to write a codex?

Thud
18-12-2009, 09:32
So if the rumors are coming out of who is writing it, anyone got an estimate of when the new codex is coming out?
also how long does it generally take to write a codex?

Depends on how much of the model range is being updated/how many new models are being made, but at least a year I should think.

@The pestilent 1: :angel:

Spiney Norman
18-12-2009, 11:03

Before they let him loose on WFB and 40k books he did a lot of work on the LotR system, where he had a reputation for playing extremely fast and loose with the background material (which made him almost universally hated by the Tolkien fans). Then he wrote the War of The Ring core rules and that game has more bugs than an ant farm. To be fair on him the O&G book wasn't cripplingly bad when it was written, but it has suffered massively due to the way 7th Ed has gone. I wouldn't say its in a much worse place than Empire though, which was released round about the same time. Ward's crowing achievement in recent years was utterly shafting the 7th Ed Fantasy meta-game with the daemon army book though.

Basically if Ward is writing the Necron codex we'd better be resigned to fluff that reads like it was written by an 8 yr old and rules that are either bug-ridden, grotesquely over-powered or both.

bluenova
18-12-2009, 11:34
It can't all be Ward's fault though - doesn't anyone else at GW proof read the codices before they get released to make sure they'll work properly, don't have any bugs and won't be open to abuse from power-gamers?

What? Why are you all laughing at that?

Vaktathi
18-12-2009, 11:36
It can't all be Ward's fault though - doesn't anyone else at GW proof read the codices before they get released to make sure they'll work properly, don't have any bugs and won't be open to abuse from power-gamers?

What? Why are you all laughing at that?

Doh ho ho (http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/9/2009/10/175fa451760741738d5b1749d476ca36/original.jpg)

(sad thing is, I'm actually watching them right now in the other room :p)

Bloodknight
18-12-2009, 11:44
Poor Necron players. Chances are that they'll probably either get laughed at for their book, or reviled.
I'd say Mat Ward is the worst army book writer they have left since Pete Haines left, and he's probably even surpassing Pete when it comes to ignoring game balance.
(And his fiction is awful).

If I had the choice, Phil Kelly would write all Codices ^^. Cruddace looks promising, but I'll wait for the Nid codex and the next one he does.

LonelyPath
18-12-2009, 11:48
Calgar may've now beaten down a Avatar of Khaine, but just you Necron-lovers wait, they'll be eaten the souls of Bloodthirsters to rejuice themselves in the next codex ;)

Sorros
18-12-2009, 12:27
The deceiver will be like 100 points and continue to have his current stats...and I'm sure in the fluff, he'll kill off like 5 old ones at a time.

Deftoneus
18-12-2009, 12:32
Calgar may've now beaten down a Avatar of Khaine, but just you Necron-lovers wait, they'll be eaten the souls of Bloodthirsters to rejuice themselves in the next codex ;)

How about an item in the armoury that you can use vs vehicles in close combat to regain lost models in a necron unit. Call it...jumper cables.

Cheeslord
18-12-2009, 13:39
Hmmm... if Necrons become overpowered I'll have to give up playing them ... if you win with a broken army its always because you're abusing a badly written game system, and if you lose you must be massively incompetent to lose with the Cheese army...

... plus another years wait before any official FAQ are published to cover the ambiguities in the codex ...

Mark.

d6juggernaut
18-12-2009, 15:18
I haven't thoroughly read the SM codex yet but I have read the infamous Calgar punching Avatar in the face event. I surely don't want the codex to come out overpowered but considering the quality of some of the more recent codexs I'm not too worried despite they're not written by the same person.

Fluff-wise, I really don't know how much MORE over-powered the Necrons can be, a destroyer blew a hole clean through a LAND RAIDER! How much more insane can it get?

Vepr
18-12-2009, 15:28
If it is RC Necrons will get drop pods and something (probably spiders) will come in groups of 1-3 with the same stats but at twice the cost. You will also get the strange feeling you are looking at IG codex version 1.2 with some other bug army being IG codex 1.1 :p

Bregalad
18-12-2009, 15:35
Calgar may've now beaten down a Avatar of Khaine
Bah, that's nothing. Fulgrim has choked one Avatar of Khaine to death ... and Avatars don't even breath! :p

Vaktathi
18-12-2009, 15:39
Bah, that's nothing. Fulgrim has choked one Avatar of Khaine to death ... and Avatars don't even breath! :p

At least in terms of power level that one made sense, even if not in the mechanics. Calgar, in all his "zomgwtfbbqmayopwnage" is nowhere near a Primarch in terms of power.

azimaith
18-12-2009, 15:46
The deceiver will be like 100 points and continue to have his current stats...and I'm sure in the fluff, he'll kill off like 5 old ones at a time.
Old Ones are just space lizards they're not extraordinarily powerful in and of themself. One old one is like one Eldar, smart and psychic, but still very killable.

Anyhow it seems like CSM came out pretty well, if a little bland.

Rirekon
18-12-2009, 15:50
I do feel sorry for GW writers... er.. designers sometimes, the narrative mindset and the design mindset are just too different for the majority of people to manage both

saitani
18-12-2009, 16:03
Well if you think using using a avatar as a punching bag is bad. Well then you dont want to hear that Fulgrim strangled one while beating up eldrad and his friends....

Orcboy_Phil
18-12-2009, 16:04
Oh dear god.

Sorros
18-12-2009, 20:33
Old Ones are just space lizards they're not extraordinarily powerful in and of themself. One old one is like one Eldar, smart and psychic, but still very killable.

They're a little more than space lizards. They're spectacular psychics, all of them, and have amazing tech.

DeadlySquirrel
18-12-2009, 20:42
well, we're boned.

Lord Inquisitor
18-12-2009, 20:42

Who says Avatars don't breathe? They're on fire and we know fires need oxygen, right?

Heh heh... I just had the mental image of a group of space marines attacking an avatar with super soakers...

Lord Damocles
18-12-2009, 20:45
well, we're boned.
Assuming it's true.

Remember that time the Necron reference sheet was 'leaked'?
Yeah.

The Ginger Ninja
18-12-2009, 21:14
Oh boy, like i don't get cries of "CHEESE" all ready from most of my club :(
From what i have read this information came from GD germany and its not Matt Ward writing the fluff its C.S "Multi Lasers" Goto (I think)

puppetmaster24
18-12-2009, 21:37
i may cry myself to sleep now.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
18-12-2009, 21:53
Didn't he write the Orcs and Goblins army book?

CrownAxe
18-12-2009, 22:22
Didn't he write the Orcs and Goblins army book?

Yep, along with the fantasy Daemon army book

He has a tendency to write broken army books (both horrible awful and horrible overpowered

Epicenter
18-12-2009, 22:35
This guy and CS Goto paired together? I'm going to guess the Necron codex will come out in 2012, along with the end of the world.

He has a tendency to write broken army books (both horrible awful and horrible overpowered

40k sells better than fantasy. Maybe if he messes this one up, he'll "leave GW to pursue other developments."

Think of it as taking a hit for the team, Necron players. :rolleyes:

If I had the choice, Phil Kelly would write all Codices ^^. Cruddace looks promising, but I'll wait for the Nid codex and the next one he does.

I'm not really such a fan of Phil Kelly anymore. His codexes are all kinda the same. They all exploit existing mechanics (lawl would allocation), so come any kind of edition change, they're not so hot (Harlequins, anyone?) and the guy just loves deathstar units of bikes/cavalry.

Now if you had said, if you wished they were all like his Ork Codex, I'd agree with you.

LordLucan
18-12-2009, 22:41
Gosh you guys are making a lot of assumptions aren't you? Based on a singular bit of informaiton.

Rewision
18-12-2009, 23:00
Gosh you guys are making a lot of assumptions aren't you? Based on a singular bit of informaiton.

That single bit of info is quite of a big deal if it turns out to be true.

The Ginger Ninja
18-12-2009, 23:01

Meh, we're bored, all rumors get huge amounts of speculation

EDIT: lol posted this at the exact same time as Rewision, i agree with what he said

sturguard
18-12-2009, 23:07

Yeah, kind of like seeing Chim/Veteran Spam and Vendettas in every competitive IG army, or Trygons once the new Nid codex. I think Matt did a decent job of the marines and if nothing else, he kept the integrity of the list intact so that existing players could use many of the models they already played with- from what I am reading of the nids, that certainly can't be said.

Dexter099
19-12-2009, 00:43
They seem to be knocking a lot on dakka

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/252715.page

Agreed, the 5th ed Space Marine codex sucks in many respects. Too many special characters, awful internal balance, etc.

Lusall
19-12-2009, 05:17
I love it...we don't even know if or when the Codex will be done for sure and doom and gloom is everywhere. Way to fail...

The Ginger Ninja
19-12-2009, 05:27
Damn straight. yets just hope he does a overpowered codex rather than an underpowered one, or better, gives the job to phil kelly!

Hey thats my 100th post:D

Reflex
19-12-2009, 08:11
Has anyone thought that maybe due to the sm dex and all his other OP army books he might say i'll try and balance this book better and it turns out basically the same as it is now.

thats my thoughts.

SlightlyEstranged
19-12-2009, 08:22
^ I would weep tears of rage.

Orcboy_Phil
19-12-2009, 08:24
Mayhaps we'll see units of three Monoliths. I think I call them Triliths.

Spider-pope
19-12-2009, 10:28
Oh boy, like i don't get cries of "CHEESE" all ready from most of my club
From what i have read this information came from GD germany and its not Matt Ward writing the fluff its C.S "Multi Lasers" Goto (I think)

My main concern is more with the fluff than rules, but at the moment it's looking like the Perfect Storm of bad codexes. Cant wait to see a background section that is barely coherent and utterly non-sensical, it'll be like reading Codex: Da Vinci Code.

Mayhaps we'll see units of three Monoliths. I think I call them Triliths.

I believe the technical term for 3 monoliths is Tripliths

The Ginger Ninja
19-12-2009, 10:31
Has anyone thought that maybe due to the sm dex and all his other OP army books he might say i'll try and balance this book better and it turns out basically the same as it is now.

thats my thoughts.

I would be saddened by this, but hopefully if this is the case, he will fix things that currently suck, eg combat resuloution