PDA

View Full Version : Old skool 'Nid and 'Stealer background... I be confused

Zenithfleet
30-01-2006, 11:06
G'day all

Found Ian Watson's "Inquisitor" book the other day at an annual secondhand book sale - the original (almost) edition from Boxtree, way back before the Black Library got started.

I noticed that

a) 'Tyranids' is consistently spelled 'Tyrannids' - Watson's mistake, or was this the actual spelling in the old days?

b) the origins of Genestealers are considered unknown, even though Tyranids are apparently part of the background.

Now, I thought that as soon as the Nids were introduced into 40K fluff, Genestealers were 'explained' as advance infiltrators for the hive fleets. Am I wrong about this? (i.e. did the Nids exist in the background for some time before some revisionist writer at GW decided to link them to the 'Stealers?)

devolutionary
30-01-2006, 11:14
There were mentions in rogue trader of the nids, with teh Termagant making an appearance, though in a rather dated style at the time. They were a potential threat at that point, and more of a sidebar comment more than anything.

As for Watson's writing, who honestly knows! :D

de Selby
30-01-2006, 11:54
Tyranids and Genestealers both appear in the Rogue Trader rulebook. The Tyranids had a single troop type (something like the current tyranid warrior in function, but formed more like a big termagant) and were supported by a slave race called Zoats. The genestealers were an unconnected type of xenos from Ymgarl, where they reproduced by 'mating' with a kind of native leech-monster. Later GW updataed the fluff to say that the genestealers were tyranid vanguard organisms, and that Ymgarl was just their first point of contact with the Imperium. Possibly the setting of 'Inquisitor' is meant to pre-date this discovery by the Imperium.

On the spelling, I'd say this is Watson's attempt to evoke the olde worlde practice of speeling words however you like (prior to the invention of dictionaries). There may be no standard dictionary of High Gothic. Or it may be a mistake. There was only one 'n' in RT.

Zenithfleet
30-01-2006, 13:00
Hmmm, interereresting :D

The oldest stuff about the Nids I can remember came from that WD with HeroQuest and Space Crusade in it (first one I ever read... lent to me by a friend) and I'm sure the 'Stealers were in that (along with the Zoats and Screamer-Killers and Squig Swarms :wtf: ) but it's been a long time since I read that ish...

And yes, Watson does likey his comp-lika-lated vocaburrarries... :eyebrows:

Rabid Bunny 666
30-01-2006, 13:13
about the squigs, they were orks captured by 'nids and kind of changed into squigs. the orks boarded the 'nid vessel, found the squigs and took them back because they still "had a bit of Orkyness"

hope that helps

Wraith
30-01-2006, 15:54
The oldest stuff about the Nids I can remember came from that WD with HeroQuest and Space Crusade in it (first one I ever read... lent to me by a friend) and I'm sure the 'Stealers were in that (along with the Zoats and Screamer-Killers and Squig Swarms ) but it's been a long time since I read that ish...

I have this WD... just a few paces away from me in fact, mind slaves were also in, the carnifex was known as a screamer killer in the army list entry. I can't remember about the Hive Tyrant, I think it was represented by an albino old style Tyranid Warrior.

Anyway, originally termagaunts weren't known as such rather as 'Hunter Slayers'.

Genestealers were created by the fleets when first encountering humanity -- they created a infiltrating creature combining human and gaunt 'DNA'. Well, at least the designers back when the codex before last talked about redoing the old genestealer plastics they described stealers as such -- gaunt/human hybrids.

Crube
30-01-2006, 16:12
IIRC (I was at GW atthe time of the release of Inquisitor) it was mr Watson's interpretaion as author of the spelling. Caused some consternation at the time believe me...:D