PDA

View Full Version : Ratogre bonebreaker

OldMan
19-12-2009, 15:12
Small question.

What is unit strenght of ratogre bonebreaker? Is he a monster, so US equal to its wounds, or is it an ogre-sized creature, so US 3?
Its entry states he is a monstrous mount, but this only means he can be targeted separatly from rider. Everything that has more than one wound can be monstrous mount, even a bigger horse, which is clearly not a monster ( monster for US purposes)

Shamutanti
19-12-2009, 15:53
I believe it's wounds of monster = US then add +1 for there being a character on top.

So a Rat Ogre is US3 because it has 3 wounds.

Making him a mount means a guy is on top, therefore +1 to the US. He counts as a Monsterous mount though because he has more than 1 wound and so therefore follows the unit strengths rules for that.

So he'll be US4.

Edit: US5 instead, read Belerophon's post for the right answer xD

Shamutanti
19-12-2009, 15:57
There we go. Page 71 of the Rulebook.

Model Strength Unit Strength
Ridden Monsters/Chariots Equal to monster/chariot +1

Belerophon709
19-12-2009, 15:58
Actually, the Bonebreaker has 4 wounds, which means it has US4.

US4 + 1 for the character riding it = US5 = character that can be picked out by missiles inside a unit and loses 'Look out, sir!'.

I was so happy about the Bonebreaker until I saw it had 4 wounds - unit-fear-protection out the window.

Bele

Shamutanti
19-12-2009, 16:00
Ah 4 wounds? :o

Scary stuff.

Falkman
19-12-2009, 16:30
Everything that has more than one wound can be monstrous mount, even a bigger horse, which is clearly not a monster ( monster for US purposes)
A monstrous mount is a monster, what part of "monstrous" don't you get?

JRD4
19-12-2009, 18:32
There were some people claiming only things larger than an ogre have their wounds count for US and the bonebreaker is US3+1for the rider because it is ogre sized. Having said that I think those people are wrong because it's a monstrous mount. The bonebreaker like everyone has said is US4+1 for the rider for a total of US5.

nosferatu1001
19-12-2009, 18:56
No "thinking" involved - monstrous mounts, which it DEFINITELY is, have US=number of wounds, making it US4. Adding the +1 for the person on board gives you US5.

OldMan
20-12-2009, 10:05
There were some people claiming only things larger than an ogre have their wounds count for US and the bonebreaker is US3+1for the rider because it is ogre sized. Having said that I think those people are wrong because it's a monstrous mount. The bonebreaker like everyone has said is US4+1 for the rider for a total of US5.

To be honest, i am one of those people. Definition of monstrous mount is "any credature with more than one wound". I thought it's ridiculus to put such creature in one bag with dragons. Same for the ogre.
On the other hand i had some doubts about it, and so the question.

Besides, ratogre bonebreaker is useless with US 5, which would really be pity, as it is fluffy and can make a super model.

thanks for the answers anyway.

Falkman
20-12-2009, 11:31
To be honest, i am one of those people. Definition of monstrous mount is "any credature with more than one wound". I thought it's ridiculus to put such creature in one bag with dragons. Same for the ogre.
On the other hand i had some doubts about it, and so the question.
The rules for Monstrous mounts are a sub-header under the chapter for rules for Monsters.
The rules for Monstrous mounts says they follow all the other rules for Monsters.
I really don't see how that's hard to grasp :p

The rat ogre bonebreaker will become US5 with a rider on it, and yes, that makes it pretty much useless.

danny-d-b
20-12-2009, 12:08
well it could be put on its lonesome and used as a flank breaker?

Falkman
20-12-2009, 12:57
You'd be wasting a lord slot simply to accomplish that, and it's not very fast.

Ganymede
21-12-2009, 23:43
I would definitely be inclined to assume that the bonebreaker is a monster, and give it a unit strength of four.

On the other hand, it is possible (thought probably not likely) that the bonebreaker is an ogre sized infantry model used as a mount. By calling it a rat ogre, they are muddying the waters.

nosferatu1001
21-12-2009, 23:46
There are only 2 types of mount: cavalry and monstrous

There is no such thing as an "ogre sized infantry mount" and therefore calling it a rat ogre doesnt muddy the waters one jot. Unless an errata changes this it has US4+1 for the rider.