PDA

View Full Version : Clanrats and Slaves - hand weapons or spears?

Hochdorf
20-12-2009, 00:38
I'm leaning towards hand weapons for the slaves, just to keep them totally dirt cheap.

Maybe spears for the Clanrats... although the extra combat survivability from hand weapons and shields might be worth it. It comes down to the offense of spears vs the defense of hand weapons I guess.

Thoughts?

Nathangonmad
20-12-2009, 01:12
I'd take spears. As you don't have to use it and what is it nowadays? 1/2 a point each?

Hochdorf
20-12-2009, 01:18
Spears for both, or only for Clanrats?

yorch
20-12-2009, 02:00
Clanrats only... Slaves are meant to die, and 1/2 points is increasing their price by a 25%... I don't know, I've never tried it but it really does not seem to worth it. However, I think clanrats can improve a lot VS a lot of enemies using spears, since nowadays there are a lot of units which will ignore their AS anyway, and the high initiative of skavens gives them an edge VS other light infantry units. I've used them and they definitely worth it, but against some armies can be useless (WoC for example)...

Caligula
20-12-2009, 02:05
I use hand weapons and shields for my Clanrats, and simple hand weapons for my Skavenslaves. This is mainly just because of how I modeled them, but they tend to do the trick just fine for me. I find my Clanrats do well with the extra save in close combat, and it helps them to win wars of attrition, rather than through actual wound-causing(although either is fine, of course).

Now, that said, there's absolutely no harm in equipping your Clanrats with spears as well, because they're only an extra 1/2 point each, and you still have the option of using a hand weapon and shield if you want...so no harm done in giving them spears at all. In fact, many would argue it's the best way to go, as it gives them more options for very little extra points.

However, when it comes to Skaveslaves, I find keeping them cheap with just the simple hand weapon and nothing else is the way to go. They're there to die. Horribly. So no point in putting any more points into them than necessary.

SevenSins
20-12-2009, 09:35
If at all, spears on clanrats and nothing on slaves (although I hear some 'seers talk about slaves with slings)

Rikkjourd
20-12-2009, 09:53
i have said it before and I will say it again:

To kill even a weak infantry man you need six attacks (4+/4+/5+ save). First off, most clanrats would only be five models wide. Second, many enemy units will kill alot of RnF and start cutting into the second rank. Third, the risk of suffering extra casualties because of losing the extra shield+hw save should completely negate the not very likely extra kill from spears. Fourth, if you are doing the charging spears are worthless.

Say you will buy around 100 models which could have spears. If you don't buy spears you could get other stuff for 50pts, like two giant rat throwaways or an extra block of slaves or pay most of the cost of another weapon team. I'd much rather have that.

Hammer49
20-12-2009, 10:50
I would certainly go with spears for the clan rats and hand weapons for the slaves, as the slaves will most likely die very quickly, so theres no real point in increasing their cost. Just becomes a waste of points that could be spent elsewhere.

scarvet
20-12-2009, 14:04
No thanks, I yet to find spear on infantry useful.
But if you are looking to upgrade your Slave, sling ain't so bad.
A good Clanrat upgrade would be Warpflayer.