PDA

View Full Version : Plasma Rifle Ectamy

FireN.Brimstone
30-01-2006, 18:00
So I recently purchased 6 biker marines in an auction on eBay recently and now I have a slight problem. I won 2 bikers with the metal plasma gun, with the initial intention of just cutting out the gun with a saw and putting a melta gun in. Having now taken a closer look at the model in question, I realized two thing. 1: the marine is holding the plasma gun by the grip, not the trigger thus simply removing the gun is impossible., 2: the arm is almost inseparable from the body. This leaves me in a bit of a pickle, I don’t really want to run plasma equipped biker marines (if they could charge after firing or where consider a stable platform so they could move and shoot then they’d be fine, but their not), and making them into Melta Bikers (I got the bits for this so that’s not an issue) seems increasingly difficult.

Thus I’m coming to this knowledgeable community with advise on getting those Plasma Guns out, or safe ways of removing the entire metal torso from the plastic legs without damaging the legs. Thing to keep in mind, these are fully assembled models, and I didn’t assemble them so I have no idea what kind of glue was used to bond the metal to the plastic.

If you’d like some reference photo’s the links are provided bellow.

IN COLOR (http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=List_Models&code=302199&orignav=300866&ParentID=212348&GameNav=10) - CLOSE UP (http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=99140101056&orignav=300866&ParentID=212348&GameNav=10&ItemNav=302199)

Mods - if this is on the wrong board, feel free to move it.

Wolflord Havoc
30-01-2006, 18:10
Marines on a bike can fire any weapon (1 per model on the bike) and still charge.

So for example you had a squad with 5 marines on bikes (inc 2 armed with plasma guns) + an attack bike with a heavy bolter - who are within 6 inches of an enemy squad then you could fire a total of 4 plasma shots, 8 rerollable bolter shots and 3 heavy bolter shots - and still be able to charge if you were still in charge range (i.e. the opponent had not removed the closest models).

Not sure what the problem is?

Otherwise if this still does not help you - simply cut off the ends of the weapon and 'pin' the end of a Melta gun on. Touch up with green stuff and Voila - instant Melta gun.

dragonslayer
30-01-2006, 18:55
just use some space marine torso's, if it doesnt fit on the legs fill it up with greenstuff...
then walk to a space wolf player or someone else with lots of meltagun
then use some bits here and there...

et voila(pardon my french)

you have a meltagun biker...
it shouldnt cost you anything and everything fits

TzarNikolai
30-01-2006, 19:07
Marines on a bike can fire any weapon (1 per model on the bike) and still charge.

So for example you had a squad with 5 marines on bikes (inc 2 armed with plasma guns) + an attack bike with a heavy bolter - who are within 6 inches of an enemy squad then you could fire a total of 4 plasma shots, 8 rerollable bolter shots and 3 heavy bolter shots - and still be able to charge if you were still in charge range (i.e. the opponent had not removed the closest models).

Not sure what the problem is?

Otherwise if this still does not help you - simply cut off the ends of the weapon and 'pin' the end of a Melta gun on. Touch up with green stuff and Voila - instant Melta gun.

i think the plasma gun has to be bike mounted for you to do that (the gun must be mounted where the bolters are on a standard bike as opposed to the rider having it)

FireN.Brimstone
30-01-2006, 19:18
Quote edited:

just use some space marine torso's, if it doesnt fit on the legs fill it up with greenstuff...

I don't think I expressed my original problem very well...

My problem is not how to make a melta gunner's torso, I have no problem doing that conversion. My problem is how to separated the plastic legs from the metal torso without breaking the plastic.

i think the plasma gun has to be bike mounted for you to do that (the gun must be mounted where the bolters are on a standard bike as opposed to the rider having it)

That's how I read it as well...

HiveFleetEzekial
30-01-2006, 22:07
Quote edited:

I don't think I expressed my original problem very well...

My problem is not how to make a melta gunner's torso, I have no problem doing that conversion. My problem is how to separated the plastic legs from the metal torso without breaking the plastic.

depending on the gluse and method the person used to put it together.. it's an easy snap. since it was a plastic/metal join, we'll assume superglue was the choice. on it's own, superglue doesn't have allot of hold well under tension. just grip the torso in one hand(thumb and finger) and the legs, at the waist, in the other hand. twist and/or snap.

now, if they pinned it. don't think there;s any way around it, unless you just want to junk the torso.

That's how I read it as well...

where are you getting that a plasma gun needsa to be stationary to fire, in the first place? it's not a plasmacannon or any other heavy weapon. it's a rapid fire with gets hot, being used by a bike rider. none of the rules, for plasma/guns, RF, GH, or bikes, say that it must be mounted for them to shoot it. if that were the case, they'd have them as options for attack bikes only, or as an upgrade to the TL bolters on the bike.

any biker may fire any weapon they have(as per bike rules. pg 53 of the BBB).. in this case, it's the 1 biker with a normal plasmagun. he may fire it while riding on the bike. they don't have to stop to shoot. (would be a waist of a fast scouting/flanking vehicle like that)

Brother Muninn
30-01-2006, 22:58
I understand the problem. For future reference though this would probably recieve better responses in the Painting & Terrain forum.

Honestly, I don't see any easy way of seperating the gun from the body without mangling both, seeing as how the butt of the Plasma gun is directly against the torso armor.

The best suggestion I can give off hand is to completely lop off the arm at the shoulder pad. and use an exacto knife to seperate the gun from the rest of the torso. From there, you can either file the mangled parts and add bits to cover up the places you hacked off (I'd suggest grenades or the hip pouches), or greenstuff repairs. One witty way to cover it up would be to use the Black Gabbo issue about covering up battle damage. After that you can just attach a new arm with a Melta gun on it.

Orrrrr, if you don't want to got to all that trouble the Melta Gun bit costs $3.00 on the online store. True, your guys are already glued together, but it should be not great task to take an exacto knife to the seam between where the plastic legs and metal torso meet. You don't know what glue the seller used, but if you work a small incision around the torso you should be able to twist it off without causing a serious problem.

~ Muninn

LostTemplar
30-01-2006, 23:05
Ruleswise: The plasma gun may fire, but the model counts as having moved. He must either fire the PLasma Gun, or the Bolters in the bike. they may still assault after doing such.

The stable platform rules affects only the wether the model counts as moving, or not. The bike itself, can always charge regardless of the weapon the model fired. You can look this up here, and in Dakkadakka.

Modelw-ise: Just stick a tube and a fuel cell in the plasmagun.

Gwedd
31-01-2006, 00:10
Comrades,

If you don't mind reassembling the bike, then it's an easy fix. Simply take the bike and put it into the freezer for 24-48 hours. CA cements lose their coherance when subjected to freezing temperatures (below 32 degrees Farenheit).

After the bike is taken out of the freezer, simply pop off the pieces using gentle, but firm, pressure. I do this all the time with stuff I get off ebay. It only works for stuff put together with CA, though. Any other joints where epoxy or plastic cement was used will be just fine.

Respects,

Gwedd

FireN.Brimstone
31-01-2006, 00:37
Ummm, I know what GW's "Plastic Glue" is and I know what "Super" Glue is and I know what Epoxy is (though why you'd use it for 28mm Models is beyond me). I don't unfortunately know what CA or Plastic Cement. I'm going to go out on a limb and say GW's "Plastic Glue" is plastic Cement, so that just leaves CA. What is it, and is it the same thing as super glue?

Cosmic_Girl
31-01-2006, 00:42
Hi,

Sorry, I just can't get past why you would want a meltagun on a biker rather than a plasma gun.... :eyebrows:

C-girl.

PS: I agree with cutting of the barrel and pinning the front of a melta gun on as far as converting goes.

EVIL INC
31-01-2006, 00:44
Offhand, I would first ask this, can you seperate the model at the waist? If you can, find someone who plays chaos and see if you can get an imperial body from them. Might even be able to get the legs as well. Then just convert them with a spare plastic melta from the new tactical box set. There you have a new melta gun carrying biker.

Emperor's Grace
31-01-2006, 03:25
so that just leaves CA. What is it, and is it the same thing as super glue?

Basically, yes. It's short for cyanoacrylate.

Playa
31-01-2006, 09:27
Hey,

can you seperate the model at the waist?

Agree. The Plasgun Biker torso is a Plain Jane mk7.

There are more characterful options for your Bikers.

The lead/ plastic waist join is almost certainly CA.

Freeze as suggested above and just swap torsos.

Be sure and post the results. :- )

Playa

Angelus Mortis
31-01-2006, 11:17
Well, modeling tips aside, he said it wouldnt be an issue if you can fire the PG and still assault which is the case. The only reference in the rules as to being mounted has to do with firing once at maximum range. Other than that, it simply says rapid fire weapons can be fired and still charge, making no reference to being mounted. My Angels of Retribution are mostly bike mounted and I run with just about every config of a bike squad you can come up with. Dual PG is particularly effective when dealing with power armor and light vehicles. Just kinda sucks to lose a T5 model to an overheat though. :D

EVIL INC
31-01-2006, 16:43
I use one of each in my bike unit usually. With the speed of the bikes, it is easier to get the melta within range. True, it isnt as effective as a plasma against high armor troops, but still effective and you have something extra for any vehicles you might come across. Of course, if you can get another spare bike (or two) so you can switch them out as needed, your set.

grizzly ruin
31-01-2006, 17:26
Hi,

Sorry, I just can't get past why you would want a meltagun on a biker rather than a plasma gun.... :eyebrows:

C-girl.

With turbo-boost, bikes can get close fast and make a mess of enemy armor with meltas.

Although meltas have one less shot than a rapid firing plasma gun, they're still highly effective against MEqs and they don't kill the wielder. A bike with a Plasma gun costs more than 40 points. That's not a model I'd like to lose to get's hot.

So that's why I prefer Meltas myself.

EVIL INC
31-01-2006, 17:46
Of course, tzeentch lords and retinues with bolt of change and wind of chaos are really good too ;) . Expensive though. Too bad they cant have thralls while on bikes though. :mad: