PDA

View Full Version : Flank Attack/ Lapping Round

EvC
30-01-2006, 18:24
If a unit that's been attacked in its flank actually managed to win combat, can it expand its frontage and start enveloping its enemy as normal?

MarcoPollo
30-01-2006, 20:03
I would say it can. Just remove models from the back rank and place them in a lapping around position as normal. Since your not getting credit for ranks anyways, you may as well lap around.

mageith
31-01-2006, 02:27
Theoretically it can lap:

"Q. Can a unit lap around to its flank?
A. Yes as long as it has ungaged ranks or files." Chron 04 112

Whenever this comes up in actual combat, however, the actual process gets murky.

This Q&A used say:
"Q. Can a unit lap around to its flank?
A. Yes as long as it has ungaged models in its rear rank." Chron 02 132

Before that:
Q. Can a unit expand its frontage or lap around to its rear or flanks?
A. If a unit charged in the rear of flank still wins the combat, it may expand its frontage and lap around (i.e. by moving unengaged models from the `back of the unit). July 2002 Q&A

Note the expand frontage was left off of the more recent Q&A's

Remember that expanding frontage is a actual formation change so the expanded 'frontage' must remain a legal formation.

Mage Ith

EvC
31-01-2006, 21:38
What would be a non-legal formation?

TAU AIR CASTE
31-01-2006, 23:41
Yeah what do you mean about the whole remaining a legal formation?

mageith
01-02-2006, 03:41
Yeah what do you mean about the whole remaining a legal formation?
The ranks must remain equal size except for the back rank and the command models must remain in the front rank for Expanding Frontage. This is not true for lapping however.

EvC
01-02-2006, 15:52
Would you mind expanding on your very helpful responses please?

This would mean that a 5 x 4 formation would be able to take 4 models per victorious round and place them at their side to expand that flank's frontage until the entire back rack is depleted, I presume. On the other hand, for a unit of five ogres in one rank, all models would count as being in both the front and back rank, so the command models would have to stay where they were, but non-command models could be brought over to the flank to expand its frontage.

Are those correct interpretations?

TAU AIR CASTE
02-02-2006, 00:19
i understand what you mean now mageith.