PDA

View Full Version : Looted Hammerhead/Devilfish

Kotobuki
30-01-2006, 21:00
Okay, so, I know the Orks can't REALLY loot a Devilfish or Hammerhead.

That's not to say they wouldn't try though. And, with enough MekBoys, and Orky ingenuity, They could make it work. Sort of. So, whilst It may not be a skimmer anymore, and those fancy pulse weapons may be gone, it did at least START it's life as a Tau tank.

It'll use the Ork VDR rules when it's done. I think it's a Longrange ZZap gun for the main turret and a couple TwinLinked big shootas in cupolas down front. Red Paint Job, and all the goodies, at the end.

Of course, those fancy Tau engines don't do the Orks any good, so... they rig themselves up a nice big Internal Combustion engine in the passenger bay. (1/24th Chevy 427) A few pieces from some old model kits (front suspension, rear axle, engine) a little chopping of the tank kit, a few brass bits for leaf springs, and we get a rolling Hammerhead. The nacelles will be plenty Orkified, as will the cockpit.

Right now it's preliminary fittings, and rough construction. The engine's not glued, which is why it's laying on it's side right now. Kinda forgot to set that up when I took the snapshot. Plenty of things that need to be covered, or gouged out, or built up. Anyway, Images of it now.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kotobuki99/wh40k/loot01.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kotobuki99/wh40k/loot02.jpg

I know this is only a single model project, but I will be updating as I go on it, and it will probably be fairly longterm, as I realize small bitz and pieces that I'll need to continue, etc. I figured this was the most appropriate place for it.

nick
30-01-2006, 21:41
Sounds like a nice idea. How were you looking at doing the transmission? Something like a chain drive would make it look like a typical ork bodge job but if you want something much cooler looking you can drill a hole to a mid point between the wheels, add a transfer box, then run two transmissions to each set of wheels. The result? a 4 wheel drive Ork Vehicle :D

Nick

Gadicitus
30-01-2006, 21:42
I love this - totally Orky. I can't wait to see more. Are you going to paint it with loads of Deathskulls poking out of hatches and doorways? That would make a good conversion great. Lots of little scenes - Meks tinkering and such.

FearFrost
30-01-2006, 21:44
THIS RULES! I cant wait to see it finished.

-B

Kotobuki
30-01-2006, 21:53
nick, it will have a belt/chain pulley type drive on it. I'd thought about doing a 4wd with it, and while it would work if the Orks had started it from 'scratch', I don't think it would work so hot on a knocked together job. Also, the fact that the transmission is pokin out the back (and I didn't have a 4wd tranny to begin with) makes the exposed belt drive that much more fitting.

Gadicitus, there will be Grots swarming all over this thing, from a lookout in the senor cupola in the nose, back to one wrenching on the engine, probably some hanging out the doors too. This is actually something I'm doing for a buddy of mine, and his Orks are pretty much just plain ole Orks. No clans, really, I don't think.

I will need to get a sprue of Orks though. I need a driver, a Zzap gunner, and a couple of gunners for the shootas. Though, that last might be a task relegated to a couple of Grots. I don't know if a Boy would fit into the little turret baskets I'll be making for the front.

Just removed the cockpit panel, I'll be building a cockpit with an Ork Driver to go in it's place, with suitably Orky armor covering it. have to work on the exhaust and a secondary bulkhead behind the drivers seat, then i'll do another update in pictures.

Metal Fingered Villain
31-01-2006, 03:20
Haha, this is so sweet. I love the idea and look forward to seeing it finished. You should make a couple orks sitting in the drone mounts firing big shoota's and an ork mekboy shooting the big turret. make some grotz hangin on for dear life as the tank rumbles around at super high almost tau speeds.:eek:

Kotobuki
31-01-2006, 03:45
If you notice, the engine takes up like, ALL the room inside. I figure, that's the only way the Orks could manage to get a Vehicle with 13/12/10 armor up to 'Fast'+Red speeds. Oh yes, it will be insane. I think Tomorrow I will have to bitz order a sprue of Boyz so I can have some crew.

Kotobuki
31-01-2006, 06:46
I've trimmed down the front suspension just a bit, to bring it down a little closer to the ground, and I think the mechanics of it look a little better this way. I'm not sure where I want to place the wheels though. So, I give you a slightly updated image.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kotobuki99/wh40k/loot03.jpg

If I mount them as in image (A) I can use the 3rd landing gear strut as a mount point for the suspension, with little to no scratch building or modification. (you can see the suspension point in image (B) as the tires aren't in the way. That is the same piece I've used for the rest of the suspension as well. No point in the Orks throwing away perfectly good shocks, eh?

But, with Image (B) they end up out front, gives a longer wheelbase, and a possibly sleeker look. (sleek Orks?) On the down side, I then have to bodge together a mount for the suspension. As you can see in the very first image, everything is just kinda free floating for now. It definitely needs to be better attached, so leaving it as is, is out of the question. I would be able to fairly easily attach it to the turret brace, i'm sure, however. Also, should I go with (B) the spare landing strut would be removed, and the landing gear pad would probably be glued over the bay to close it off.

So, I ask you, my dear public, which do you think? Also, sorry for the poor pictures, I left my digi cam in the car, and I don't feel like walking down there in my jammies at 1am, so Webcam it is.

Hortwerth
31-01-2006, 06:50
B is much better. Remove the spare landing gear mount and use it somewhere else. if you can attach the wheels to the small underturret then great, the orks could use the turret rotation mechanism to turn the Humm'head.

FearFrost
31-01-2006, 14:58
B!!!!!!!!!!!!

Animerik
31-01-2006, 19:06
b looks best!also this project look really cool so give us someupdate and IŽll be keeping my eyes on tih one;)

immortal99
31-01-2006, 20:06
I was looking for a way to turn that useless devilfish into a usable tank...Thanks! I would go with B, This project is great BTW!

Aquilla
31-01-2006, 20:08
Interesting idea.
B looks better.

Brush your teeth
31-01-2006, 20:12
that models lookingh nice, i love the hotrod ish look its got

also i vote B

Kotobuki
01-02-2006, 18:54
A littel update. Started work on the platform for the ZZap gun, put some brackets in to line it up. It'll get legs and armor plates soon enough. Filled in one Landing Gear bay to give the shocks somethign to attach to. Added the pulleys for the belt drive, and bulkheaded the heck out of the cockpit area. It's now completely closed in. Did a little re-inforcing to the front suspension assembly, as well. Also, you'll notice the first Grot rigger. I don't know if the final product will have him actually standing on the Transmission hump, or if i'll build a platform/catwalk thing over it, so they can safely get from one side to the other, and work on the engine.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kotobuki99/wh40k/loot04.jpg

I'm trying to turn one of the engine nacelles into a fuel tank. The random shape being 'squared up' to fit the half barrel they used to close the back. (that's what all the plasticard stuff is on the engine) Well, and bits used to seal off the vents. I'll be adding a chunk over the front, and 3 exhausts before I decide if it's working or not. What do you guys think? I may end up just fabricating a giant round fuel tank, as the Skorcha fuel tank is far to small to replace the engine entirely.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kotobuki99/wh40k/loot05.jpg

speedygogo
01-02-2006, 19:41
I don't see why orcs would not loot Tau vehicles. You have an original idea that reeks with coolness. Run with it and keep posting updates. I would love to see the finished models.

Nid
02-02-2006, 00:47
Original? I've had a concept sketch of that involving leman russ tracks for quite some time that I haven't done anything with ;)

Kotobuki
05-02-2006, 06:17
Okay, quick late night update. First a couple shots of the minor amount of work I've done to the body.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kotobuki99/wh40k/loot06.jpg

The turret-y platform is what the ZZap gun will mount to. The floral wire is makshift wiring so it has power. The platform that you can see in the previous pictures mounts above it. You can see one of the struts for it glued to the top of the tank. The other is currently glued to the bottom of the platform. I'm not sure why I did it that way, though I'm sure I have a reason.

You can also see the back door I've made for it. It does swing open, and will actually clear the drive-train. Ignore the floral wire in that shot... i had to keep the door closed somehow. The hinge is a little loose right now.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kotobuki99/wh40k/loot07.jpg

This is the Rear, and then Front view of the front suspension mount. I will at some point mot likely add a rod going up through the floor for the steering column.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kotobuki99/wh40k/loot08.jpg

Finally we have the rear suspension (including the capped wheel wells), and the engine nacelle that has been modified into a fuel tank. It will get a fuel fill cap on top, before I decide if I want to scrap the idea or not. I'm not sure if I'm very keen on it right now. Comments and criticisms would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm thinking though, that I may end up scratch building just a giant fuel drum to put there instead.

Anyway, this is where I'm at right now. Still left to do for teh beast...

1) Make some mounting for the engine.
2) Make some armor for the driver's compartment.
3) Make the Driver's Compartment.
4) Design and build the front gunner's turrets.
5) Armor the Zzap gun platform.
6) Make side doors (similar i'm sure to the rear door. Probably one of Diamond Plate and one of smooth sheet)
7) Grots. Lots of them.
8) Stuff other engine nacell full of stormboy jump packs.
9) figure out how to make engine exhaust.
10) get a better order to do this stuff in.

So, there you have it, for those that wanted to know how things were going, and those that didn't care.

Cadian 21st
05-02-2006, 08:17
- I love this! I don't totally like the platform, granted it is orkish...this is gonna be one awesome looking machine in the end, regardless!

- How'd you make the little bubbly bits on the metal wire for the suspension?

Kotobuki
05-02-2006, 14:44
The front suspension is actually taken from a scrapped 1:24 scale 1957 Chevy Belair. Those are the swaybars and steering linkage from said model.

The platform is subject to change... maybe. See, I don't have much room in the tank to have a cupola extend down through the turret hole. If when I get it all put together I don't like it, I can remake it more turret-like. That just doesn't see quite so orky to me, though.

Norminator
05-02-2006, 15:11
This is really good, can't wait to see it finished. Try strapping some Orky stuff on it that would ruin the aerodynamics - that sounds like something orks would do!

Tonberry
05-02-2006, 15:25
It's too curvy, needs more spikes.

Hideous Loon
05-02-2006, 15:42
Maybe make a big hole in the side, and cover it up with chunks of plasticard, would make a useful change from that sleekness. Or would that be too over the top? (Then again, we are dealing with a looted Devilfish here, and Orks are notoriously over the top. All the time.)

Puffin Magician
05-02-2006, 16:16
Now this is a cool project, and it's good to see it progressing so quickly.

About the Devilfish Engines, I like the sound of the "stuffed with Jumppacks", but it would look weird [even for the Orks] if you only did that to one side. How about a combination of rocket engines and a fuel tank on both nacelles?

I've seen a crafty Ork scratchbuilder on another board make great engines from plasticard; exhausts are simple tubes with a thin layer of card with holes punched in it wrapped around. Example (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/Kr00zA/Orkz/GobSmasha/GS14.jpg).

I don't know if i'll build a platform/catwalk thing over it, so they can safely get from one side to the other...You do realize that considering the safety of your Orks compromises the very premise of Orkiness.
Original? I've had a concept sketch of that for quite some time...Tough beans! Conversion opportunities wait for no man!

tzeentchgiant
05-02-2006, 16:26
Excellent projec you have here, very characterful, and it's shaping up to be a very cool model, your eye for detail is superb, particularly on the suspension.

TG

blue midgets of doom
05-02-2006, 16:28
this is really looking great, keep up the good work

Nid
06-02-2006, 01:40
Puffin, it was more a joke than a serious concept. Like, theres that quote out there somewhere that says there are no original ideas left anymore.

Orcdom
06-02-2006, 02:07
like puffin said, scrap the catwalk for the engine. have you thought about the front center of the fuselage and letting the heads and a blower stick out the op for a seperate engine for the front end? and your exhaust i would just run pipes straight up in the air off the headers, maybe a pipe for each cylinder. 4 each side of the engine.
lost of tractor pull trucks are done this way.

and the rocket idea would look good on the side for like turbo boostas or something. strap some round tubing to the sides and make a cone head for them and an exhause nozzle. strap them to the sides with plasticard strips heated and shaped around, scared up a little to look hike they have been hammered in place.

caulking tube tips might be a good place to look for rocket boosters.
i am not one on most ork conversions but i like this one.

Steve

feyd
06-02-2006, 02:34
I would recommend enlarging the back wheels and extending them outwards, stick bolted metal plates on the wheels so they dont looks so cut and dry. You could try attaching decks to the side doors and leaving the doors off, as either weapon mounts or troop outlets. Id also try to warp the chasis somewhat, I don't think a vehicle orks have stolen would look much like it did before being stapled back together. Just some ideas...

Kotobuki
06-02-2006, 06:35
Now this is a cool project, and it's good to see it progressing so quickly.

About the Devilfish Engines, I like the sound of the "stuffed with Jumppacks", but it would look weird [even for the Orks] if you only did that to one side. How about a combination of rocket engines and a fuel tank on both nacelles?

I've seen a crafty Ork scratchbuilder on another board make great engines from plasticard; exhausts are simple tubes with a thin layer of card with holes punched in it wrapped around. Example (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/Kr00zA/Orkz/GobSmasha/GS14.jpg).
You do realize that considering the safety of your Orks compromises the very premise of Orkiness.Tough beans! Conversion opportunities wait for no man!Now now, that last bit's not true. The Orks don't judt run around trying to get themselves dead, so paying heed in construction would not be characteristically un-orky. Considering the safety of the GROTS compromises the Orkiness of it. The former is why I want to seperate the fuel tank from the Turbo Booster. Besides, i don't think the Orks would be too entirely concerned about symmetry.

Kotobuki
08-02-2006, 16:03
Didn't get a whole lot done the last couple days. New work schedule, and I had to do some work on my car. However, my sprue of Boys DID come in, soooo... Preliminary posing and fitting of the Driver.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kotobuki99/wh40k/loot09.jpg

At first, with the torso in my hand, I thought he was gonna be way too small to fill up the gigantic hole I'd put in there. Thankfully, I was wrong. It's gonna be a nice snug fit for our driver. Ignore the floral wire again. It just makes it so much easier to position stuff if you don't have to have your grubby little hands all over it. A little bit of greenstuff and the driver will be read, then I can start making his seat and instrument panel, and controls. All in all, it should be good fun, and hopefully, I'll have the cockpit done today.

Cadian 21st
08-02-2006, 16:09
- Are you going to fill in the gaps? He looks good there - suprising 'cause I didn't know if he'd fit at all. Then again, Orksies are huge. So far, everything looks quite nice together and I can't wait to see the final job :D.

- Sweet! I'm gonna try some floral wire one of these days - it seems to work spectacularly for you!

Kotobuki
08-02-2006, 16:17
Oh yes, he will most assuredly be properly trimmed and filled with GS. And now that I know about how he'll be sitting, I can start working a bit on the armor cover today.

Kotobuki
10-02-2006, 02:24
Okay, a little more work done on the Cockpit. Just have to add gagues, and the shifter box, then some final GSing on the driver. After that, it's time to make the hatch for him.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kotobuki99/wh40k/loot11.jpg

Kotobuki
15-02-2006, 17:46
Allright, a lot of work, and not much to show for it. I did however finish roughing the cockpit armor. It will have slits in the side so the driver can see around him, rather than just in front. The front view port will probably be opened up a bit.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kotobuki99/wh40k/loot12.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kotobuki99/wh40k/loot13.jpg

I've also added a dashboard and the console for the gear shift, and a cool shift knob to the top of it. I should be adding the actual stick and shift gate soon. I have to figure out how to make some gauges for under the dash, as I don't have any spare model car dashboards around.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kotobuki99/wh40k/loot14.jpg

I really need to find some Hex and square stock to use as bolt heads for some of the paneling.

ZAChos
15-02-2006, 17:57
You sir, are insane. How much work are you putting into that cockpit? How much of it will be seen?

I suppose you could show people the wip photo's and they'll be all like "wow".

Good stuffs, I've always wanted to see a falcon done like this, but a devilfish is just as good.

Norminator
15-02-2006, 17:58
ZaChos, my thought exactly!

It is inspiring though Kotobuki, well done and keep up the good work!

Kotobuki
15-02-2006, 18:10
See... I have this crazy thing about liking stuff to 'work'. The doors on the transport area will all open, the platform for the Zzap gun will spin, and the cockpit will be hinged so it can open to see inside.

I used to do model planes and cars and my favorite parts were the Cockpit/Pilot on the airplanes, and the Engine/Dashboard on the cars. So, I really want this to look 'right'. I could have saved myself a whole bunch of hours on this by just knocking together some plates over the original cockpit area, and closing the 'engine bay' completely... but that would defeat the entire purpose of this project.

I want people to be able to see just how it is the Orks managed to make this thing work. By the time I'm done it'll have fuel lines going to the engine, a linkage for the transmission, properly Orky engine mounts, and hopefully a steering column going to the front wheels. Though that last one is a bit iffy.

tzeentchgiant
15-02-2006, 18:53
It's looking great, particularly the cockpit, very well done.

TG

Kotobuki
23-03-2006, 22:06
So, I finally got around to doin a wee bit o work on it. Not much, but the cockpit is finished.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kotobuki99/wh40k/loot15.jpg

The Canopy is done too, minus a hinge.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kotobuki99/wh40k/loot16.jpg

I have scrapped the engine to fuel tank dealie, and will be replacing it with a scratch built fuel tank. It will be an oval cross section fuel drum, which will hopefully balance the intact engine nacelle on the opposite side. Though I guess that will probably have to wait until next week to get underway.

Orcdom
24-03-2006, 01:57
looking good
Steve

Cadian 21st
24-03-2006, 03:48
Sweet, an update! It's looking even more awesome than ever! I love the attention to the cockpit, btw.

Kotobuki
14-04-2006, 14:55
Ah HA! An update! And here you were all probably thinking that I'd given up on this little project of mine. Well, I haven't. Actually went out and bought some new material and tools so I could do it some justice. Anyway, below you will see the new 150/200gallon fuel drum placed next to the old converted engine nacelle. I didn't like the way it was going, so it has been officially scrapped.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kotobuki99/wh40k/loot17.jpg

I'm going to try to make the supports for it tonight, but with how quickly I go on working with this stuff, it'll probably be a week or two before I get it done. But, rest assured, it WILL get done.

maraxis
14-04-2006, 15:21
Very nice. I like the driver and controlls, I am very interested in seeing what you do with that huge barrel.

Messiah
18-06-2006, 14:12
Great stuff! I like especially how the teef and cockpit make the hammerhead look alive.. :)

Kotobuki
11-01-2007, 17:09
So, it's been quite a while since I've done anything with this project. I placed an order recently for some of the Bitz I need to get the main weapons on it, and decided to try and get at least a little more done on it in the mean time.

So, I decided I'd go ahead and at least paint the driver up. He was done in about 3 1/2 hours or so. The pants pretty well suck, but with all the cutting and gap filling I had to do on them, there really wasn't much detail left to work with.

My FTP client is being wonky, so for now I'll just have to add the pic as an attachment. Also, I know the picture isn't great, but I dont really have a lighting rig.

liamrob
12-01-2007, 05:58
This is very nice. I wish i had some spare money and time and paints and many more things so i could do something like this. But i even have problems finding the time to paint my SMs. Can't wait till paint is on this looted vehicle.

scrubout
12-01-2007, 06:19
I love the pimp my ride skull stick shift! Makes me giggle. Nice paint job too, and not that bad of a picture either.

Quit hitting me with those negative waves man, it's a bloody beautiful ork.:p

-peace out
scrubout:skull:

Kotobuki
12-01-2008, 06:47
Hooray for another round of Thread-o-mancy on this project. I swear, it really ISN'T dead, just on hiatus. I kind of hit a wall trying to figure out how to make the Orks stand upright in the front weapons cupolas... And due to that sort of abandoned it a bit. But, I've finally figured out a way to make it work PERFECTLY. The new Ork Trukk has a Boy standing in a Big Shoota turret, that would be EXACTLY what I need to make this project work.

But I need two of them. And I can't afford to buy two Trukk kits just for the guys in the turret things. So... I'm asking those of you that have new Trukk kits... if you're using them for converting other things, or don't particularly want/need the gunners, I'd be happy to buy the Gunner and Cupola assembly from you.

That said, the design of the vehicle will be changed somewhat. Originally, it was going to be a VDR creation with a Zzap gun and some twinlinked big shootas, and some other assorted gubbinz. Now, for the sake of ease of play, not having to fiddle with VDR stuff that people don't want to play with, etc., it will end up being a Looted Wagon. The Zzap Gun will be replaced by a Boomgun, and the Cupolas will just have two Big Shootas (though I'd still rather have them TLed). It will end up with Ard Case, Red Paint Job, Grot Riggers, and possibly Armor Plates and Reinforced Ram.

I know, it's pretty lame to bring this thread back for (at this point in time) pretty much the sole purpose of asking if anyone wants to sell me bits for a reasonable price, but hey, It can't hurt to ask, can it? And I promise, work will get done on this thing. The other thing slowing me down is trying to find drive chain for the chain drive. If anyone knows of where I can get scale drive chain, I'd love to hear it.

Anardakil
12-01-2008, 13:55
Haha cool! :D

Leonathion
12-01-2008, 14:51
Really cool! I love the look, reminds me of the halo designs ;)

BrokenGlytch
13-01-2008, 01:36
Excellent work. Someone mentioned always wanting to see a Falcon looted like this...I always wanted to make a looted Falcon...lol. I just never had the desire to paint the rest of the green skins to go with it, and I've already got a sizable force of Marines/IG/Inquisition that love to put holes in anything alien. Keep up the good work.