PDA

View Full Version : Hellcannon shot and models with multiple profiles

Azethel
23-12-2009, 10:24
I had a game recently where I fired my hellcannon and every turn I managed to land it smack bang on my opponent's stegadons.

What we found difficult was working out how exactly the "hits" were allocated. Eg. I hit his engine of the gods steg and the centre of the template was over the howda and his skink priest. Now, the steg is directly under the Str 10 hit but so is his skink priest. Does it all count as one model on one base or do I consider each profile as a different model. This would transfer to characters on monsters, characters on chariots etc.

We resolved it by randomising the str 10 hit (ended up pasting two stegadons this way) and having every other "model" take a str 5 hit (since they were under the rest of the template). Is this how you are meant to resolve the hits or is there a better or more official way of working this out?

theunwantedbeing
23-12-2009, 10:29
Page 61 of the rulebook.

Note that it's impossible for the 3" template to cover the entire stegadon model, so some partials will need to be rolled after you've randomised which big gets hit by the centre hole "hit".
So you were nearly correct, although you'de have had to roll to see which bits were hit by the partials. (unless your hit them with a template that states you don't need to roll for partials)

Azethel
23-12-2009, 10:35
Ok, so if I randomised the str 10 hit onto one of the skinks then I would have to roll for a partial hit on the steg since the 3" template does not totally cover his base. The rest of the models (skinks) in the howda were wholly under the 3" template and so are all hit.

Good to see I was close.

edit - Thanks :-)

theunwantedbeing
23-12-2009, 10:44
Urgh, read the damned page....

The model suffers a single hit at double strength due to the centre hole being over the model.
You then roll for a partial on every part of the model that was not hit by the centre hole.
You only dont roll partials for parts that werent hit by the centre hole if(and only if) the template covers the entire model or the template hits what it touches rather than rolling for partials.

Grimgormx
23-12-2009, 15:01
The way we play this is 1 hit with double strenght, then 1 hit for any other "part" of the model with a profile, and 1 partial hit if the model base isnt completely covered.

So if a catapult hits a dragon rided, then it is only a double st hit, and a partial hit, and they are randomised betwen the dragon and the rider.

in a estegadon if it covers all the howda it will get 5 hits for the skink and a partial for the stegadon, so the model gets 1 double strengt, 4 at normal strenght and 1 partial, now randomize those hits before wounding.

Nurgling Chieftain
23-12-2009, 19:10
The skinks do not have separate bases, so it does not matter whether they are covered at all.

A direct stone-thrower hit on a stegadon results in the following sequence:

1) Roll randomly (as normal) to see which part of the model takes the automatic double-strength hit.
2) Roll partials for all other parts of the model individually (hit on a 4+ at normal strength). There are no "fulls" because to get a full, the entire base would have to be covered (this may not apply for the large blast or the new Skaven weapons which do not roll partials).
3) Resolve the hits (to-wound, save if applicable, multiplied wounds if applicable).

If you merely clip the corner of the stegadon's base, you skip step one, but all parts of the model still check for partials, even if those particular skinks are not covered at all - they are all considered to occupy the same base!

Grimgormx
23-12-2009, 21:27
then if I hit a corner of the stegadon it partally hits the 5 skinks and the stegadon?

Nurgling Chieftain
23-12-2009, 21:33
Correct. It's sort of the flip side of the fact that you can never fully cover the base.