PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Lord: Where to put one

Wyrmnax
23-12-2009, 23:38
I have been thinking... Where to put a Chaos Lord / Exalted Hero in a army list?

I dont play Chaos Warriors - so this is mostly a speculative point, but i would appreciate the view of someone who is more knowledgeable with the army. Specifically, point out where my reasoning is wrong, and how you use yours.

As i can see:

- The most obvious place to stick a Chaos Lord is a unit of Chaos Warriors or Chosen. Sure, he blends in nicely, but i think he might be wasted in there. A Chaos Lord costs a lot, and bring in a lot of melee power to any unit he is in. And the cases where Chaos Warriors or Chosen need more melee power are very few - the units can handle a lot by themselves.

- Chaos Knights have the same problem. Yes, a Lord add a lot of punch to a unit of them, but Chaos Knights are one of the best knights out the on prolonged fights. Adding a Lord to a knight unit is a very good safeguard to those races that have cavalry who are only good on the charge - the Lord might be enought to pull one of those units out of a combat that goes into the 2nd round. Chaos Knights dont have those problems - Ensolerced weapons makes them as good on the 2nd round as on the charge.

- Marauders. I actually think this is one of the units that would benefit the best of having a strong CC character in. Marauders win combat by static bonuses - a lord would give one of these units enough punch to become a real threat, not just a tie up unit. But then, he runs the risk of having his unit shoot out of him before he reaches melee.

- Mixing a Lord with Warhounds or Marauder Horseman would be stupid.

- Ogres or Trolls- I think this would be another good place for a Lord. Units are resilient enough to get the character to CC, and while they are decent on CC they can use the extra punch. The movement loss would be a bummer, unless the lord is mounted.

- Dragon Ogres. Lord would have to be mounted to keep up, but i think it would benefit the same way as standard ogres. The problem is that it would be a 600 point unit.

scarvet
24-12-2009, 01:40
How? I don't find making your CC monster mobile stupid.

Marauder with Mark of Nurgle is very resilient against shooting, and they are your cheapest unit, then you have warriors walking with them; I can't see how they will be shot to bits.

Wyrmnax
24-12-2009, 07:34
How? I don't find making your CC monster mobile stupid.

Marauder with Mark of Nurgle is very resilient against shooting, and they are your cheapest unit, then you have warriors walking with them; I can't see how they will be shot to bits.

Wouldnt have a Lord with marauder horseman kill the light cavalary rule? IE: The biggest reason to have marauder horseman in the first place?

Eta
24-12-2009, 07:51
One thing I'd like to add is that you never take a lord without a mount. It doesn't matter where he goes, but he always is on a mount.

Concerning characters in a unit of fast cavalry, see page 70 BRB:

Mounted character models may join fast cavalry units and move in the same manner as the unit, but do not benefit from any of the special shooting rules.

If you want the 360° LOS for shooting as well, you will have to mark the lord Slaanesh and put him on a Steed of Slaanesh.

Greetings
Eta

Harwammer
24-12-2009, 08:43
I have been thinking... Where to put a Chaos Lord / Exalted Hero in a army list?

- Ogres or Trolls- I think this would be another good place for a Lord. Units are resilient enough to get the character to CC, and while they are decent on CC they can use the extra punch. The movement loss would be a bummer, unless the lord is mounted.

- Dragon Ogres. Lord would have to be mounted to keep up, but i think it would benefit the same way as standard ogres. The problem is that it would be a 600 point unit.

You need at least 5 rank and file troops to give him look out sir against templates, this will be rather expensive for dragon ogres (and to a lesser extent ogres/trolls).

Always mount your characters, in fact my opinion is a lord should be put on a dragon or left at home. An exalted can fill his boots well enough.

PeG
24-12-2009, 08:52
I usually put him in any unit that will move about the same speed as he does and in a good position at the board depending on enemy setup. If he goes with a hitty unit he will frequently charge out of the unit when in range.

HughbertofKhorne
24-12-2009, 09:21
Depends what you intend to use your lord for really.

Put him on a steed or monster and equip him with some killy magic weapons and set him on his own as a lone character/small unit killer, MoN and the filth mace gives you another string to your bow in this regard to, because in addition to the solo killiness your causing terror after the first wound.

I'f I want him to be a tin opener, i'll give him a biting blade, for the extra -1 armour save I know some people would prefer a chaos runesword or similiar strength enhancement but he's alreay strength 5, which is more than enough for most things. Put him in a unit of Knights of with the MoN and a rage banner and send him hurtling into the biggest unit of Empire Knights or similar and watch him eat them.

Using him for leadership is only really an issue if your army is marauder heavy. In this instance, You're relying on your infantry to hold the battle line while smaller hittier units go for flank and rear charges.

19-29 marauders and your lord makes a potent anvil. but that seems a bit meh to me. If your gonna go infantry heavy then either put him in with your chaos warriors for the extra punch or give him a small unit of 10 marauders to lead. treat the marauders as ablative wounds while he slogs up the table. but to be honest im not a fan of fighty lords or heroes on foot, they never see enough turns of use for my tastes.

also treat marauder horsemen as ablative wounds for a lord designed to go take down lone characters, small units and warmachines, they're cheap and when the inevitable volley of bullets and arrows start raining they might just keep in tact for the first combat.

The Red Scourge
24-12-2009, 09:23
Always in a unit of hounds or horsemen. Putting him in an expensive Unit makes that Unit an even bigger target. Ask yourself what you'd rather lose to a cannonball. A 6 pt dog, or a 40+ knight? ;)

HughbertofKhorne
24-12-2009, 09:27
a cannonball might kill one knight, unless your marching down the battlefield in single file in which case your probably deserve to get the unit smooshed.

but dont forget the Knights have a 1+ save, that will protect them from most fire, unless your oponent is a wood elf or Empire player and will try and get you with a massive amount of weak shots. but then the knights will still survive longer than anything else.

Kardon
24-12-2009, 09:31
I always mount him on a dragon.. if not i go with a sorc lord instead. the knights have enough hitting power as it is and having him footslogging aint realy an option.

HughbertofKhorne
24-12-2009, 09:41
how does mounting him on a Dragon work for you? I've been tempted cos the Lord on a Chaos dragon is a bit iconic, but the points made me weep a little bit.

savage_orc
24-12-2009, 09:57
Here I go

I will list unit then a simple yes or no answer and maybe some reasons

Warriors yes (no reason not to probably the best place for him)
Marauders on foot yes (this depends on arms and intended use my sorc normally ends up in the sword and board unit)

warhounds no (you lose your mobility and usefulness y would you do this?)

Chaos knights yes (if i set him up to kill and not to lead I will but most of the time I buy a second hero and put him in the knights to add the whooping factor leaving my general to lead the foot advance)

Marauder horse no (you will lose the point of having fast cav and end up with your general leading a small unit of squishy cav no thx so unless you take a large unit the answers no)

Chosen no (like the knights I would take a hero to put in this unit and not your general then you can let it be a true hammer)

Forsaken lol god no *(i wouldn’t even take forsaken and even if I was crazy and did I still wouldn’t put my goral in the unit)

And the rest no

Kardon
24-12-2009, 10:19
how does mounting him on a Dragon work for you? I've been tempted cos the Lord on a Chaos dragon is a bit iconic, but the points made me weep a little bit.

It works great. Lost 1 out of 10 games with him and that was when he was khorne marked and got baited all around by zombie masses. The point cost is rather big i agree, but the posibilities are huge. U can use it for almost anything. even in the front this bastard can beat most units even if he has to go through a champion(altho avoid it if possible) Last game he took out 30 clanrats 5 skirmished monk thingies, screamingbell a grey seer and helped take down an abomination. My list is very mobile and im adding more mobility to it later with more marauder horsemenn and no warriors at all.

zeekill
25-12-2009, 00:57

Are you serious? A slanneshi lord on Steed of Slannesh with a unit of Marauder calvary is great. You now have a protected fast calvary TANK which moves 18" a turn then charges with the Marauders (which should probably just have Flails, they dont need to worry about being attacked back)

Havock
25-12-2009, 01:32
Even nastier: Harpoon the unit.

For this tactic though, might as well use an exalted. Preferably on a daemonic steed/Steed of slaanesh, that way they won't slow their rankbreaking US away. Mark of Tzeentch with a collar of khorne is ideal, weapons: whatever you want, probably a sword of might.

Marauder horsies with mark of Nurgle? Quite expensive, but this way they will be at -1 to hit vs shooting, have MR2 and the hero has a 2+/5++ save.